Huge brawl on the Legend, with video.

Thorncroft

Why didn't they remove the 2 groups from the ships asap? the article says the fights had been going on for 5 days!

Anyone who causes the slightest bit of trouble should be thrown off a ship no warning you get locked in the cabin and thrown off at the next port. You can't allow a situation like this to develop to the extent that it did because it becomes a threat to the current and next cruise. God forbid if had some been stabbed and thrown overboard the ship would a murder scene. Police would get involved interview everyone on on board and the current cruise terminated and the next cruise possibly cancelled costing the line millions in refunds and compensations. And forcing a cruise line to address maybe the child and beverage policy which is the crux of the business model for some companies.

You only get one shot with a taser. If it misses, you're down to drive stunning, hand to hand combat, a baton or gun, not to mention it costs $75 to replace a taser cartridge. I don't see Carnival springing for tasers for their rent-a-cops. Tasers don't solve all of your problems.

Not to go off in a diatribe, but the effectiveness of a taser is not the economy of its use but the use of it as a deterrent. A great add to policing, saved hundreds of lives, mostly the pond scum they were used on.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not to go off in a diatribe, but the effectiveness of a taser is not the economy of its use but the use of it as a deterrent. A great add to policing, saved hundreds of lives, mostly the pond scum they were used on.

My point was that a taser, while a great tool, has limitations, not the least of which is that it's like a gun with only one bullet. Once and done, unless you're using it to drive stun.

The effective way would be mace, Taser, batons and other crowd control equipment which they didn't have. Or they could simply stay on the sideline and did nothing until someone was killed So what do you suggest they should do to beak up a brawl other than engaging in some hand-to-hand combat themselves? The talking and reasoning stage was long over as soon as the fight broke out.

A 10 day cruise, and they fought 5 out of ten, large group, and they look like bullies. It is too bad that Security cannot carry something like a Taser to at least give the impression that they have the authority. We all behave a bit better when there is a real threat that we might be reprimanded for our actions. They should have thrown them off sooner.

Hard to believe there are no responses from people who were actually on this cruise.

I believe the security did a good job, mainly because one of those thugs had a headlock on a security guard. I see nothing wrong with helping a fellow officer. If these were real cops and had guns, who knows what would of happened. They do everything possible to help a fellow officer in distress.

You call that help? OH MY!

The reality is “land” laws and “Cruise” are not the same. Each kick in the real world is a felonious assault. The one being kicked is the victim.

Are you sure the one being held in a potentially fatal headlock isn't the real victim here - not the thug aggressor refusing to release them ?

Security needed more training in handling brawls BUT if I was the one in the headlock of a thug I'd want my rescuers to do anything necessary to keep me from being killed.

What a complete overreaction to everyone involved including people up in arms about this story. Fights break out everywhere. Deal with those people. Move along.

Whenever I tell someone how much I love cruising, the detractors usually have the same negative things to say, and sensationalizing these stories don't help. How often does anyone honestly have a negative experience on a cruise?

Security officers in general are not trained to handle a situation like this. I wouldn’t expect better than average training for cruise ship security. It’s not fair to put someone in a violent and dangerous situation that they haven’t been equipped or trained to handle and then turn around and expect them to be fired when they can’t handle it. Would be kinda like taking you and putting you in a position of a NASA engineer and then firing you when you can’t get a space shuttle to launch.

I’m in law enforcement and dealing with an active fight involving multiple parties is harder to deal with than it sounds. It does take training, equipment, and enough personnel to stop it safely. I don’t expect any security guard most likely making minimum wages on a cruise ship to put themselves in the middle of a fight and get beat up themselves.

And just btw, tasers and batons wouldn’t have helped much. Mace is the right tool for that situation. If security doesn’t carry mace, have to wait till you’re have more guards than fighters before you intervene. Then u go through in pairs, cuffing everyone up. A guard acting alone to break up a fight is a recipe for disaster

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

this seems like one of the better posts so far in this thread....I always forget about mace. A good shot to the face , and you'll be thinking about stinging eyes pretty quick.

What a complete overreaction to everyone involved including people up in arms about this story. Fights break out everywhere. Deal with those people. Move along.

Whenever I tell someone how much I love cruising, the detractors usually have the same negative things to say, and sensationalizing these stories don't help. How often does anyone honestly have a negative experience on a cruise?

Maybe fights break out everywhere in your neighborhood, but not mine. Mr. Roberts

Why didn't they remove the 2 groups from the ships asap? the article says the fights had been going on for 5 days!

Since I don't watch videos depicting ignorant behavior I read the articles that are printed. It did say that most of these people were from an extended family and that they started this behavior from the moment they got on on board. Why were complaints not made at that time or any time leading up to this moronic behavior? Because people do not speak up these days is the reason things get out of control in society. Hopefully no decent people were injured and the thugs will spend some quality time in the local lockup in Australia.

Some people do not know how to act in public.Where there is alcohol something is bound to happen especially if someone is looking for trouble in the first place. I wonder the upper scale cruise lines have trouble like this.

Gary

Probably not because everyone is in bed by midnight

So, I'm watching these videos of these idiots on the Carnival Legend, and while I'm not really surprised, I am a little confused about a couple things. One, I can clearly see the Captain wandering around in the middle of it (looks maybe like Captain Gazzano?). I thought this fight was in the early morning hours, looks like outside the Red Frog? What the hell was he doing there? I know he is very social guy, but to wind up in the middle of a bar brawl that late at night is not good. The other thing, why is the female security officer so pissed at the guy taking the video? Shouldn't she be helping to break up the fight.

Most disturbing of all, I read a story that said passengers had complained to the Captain about the one family from the start. They family said they were told "what do you want me to do about it?" This is EXACTLY the response our friends and I got when we complained about unruly (like really dangerously unruly) kids on a recent Legend cruise. On the cruise after ours a kid threw a condiment bottle down ten decks and almost hit someone in the atrium bar. It's NOT acceptable.

Carnival and the shipboard security force need to reign in these adult idiots AND the ridiculously out of control kids. If they did that, maybe they wouldn't need to worry about the person taking video of the mob fights in the common areas...

No drinks package on that cruise.

The fighting was for days, not 4 minutes. Ship pulled an unscheduled stop at Eden NSW and was met by federal police. We will see on the news tonight what went down.

Just as well no one was carrying. But then that don't happen down here.

Check out more detail and conjecture on Australian and NZ board.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2599725

They may not be carrying but they sure are loaded.

Kudos to Carnival's security people for doing what needed to be done to break up the brawl.

For those of you complaining about the methods, wise up. The security folks did what they needed to do. Do you expect your garbage collectors to wear white gloves and treat your trash like fine china?

well said