Huge brawl on the Legend, with video.

Thorncroft

Very interesting. Where did you get this information? I thought online check in is closed 72 hours before the ship sails so that the manifest can be provided to authorities, including homeland security in the USA?

It was posted in a recent thread about two people arrested after a recent cruise.

<<>>

CBP does not get the manifest until shortly before departure, and then need to vet every passenger on the list, so they could not stop anyone from boarding. Also, just having an outstanding warrant will not result in arrest, only if the jurisdiction where the warrant was issued requests remand.

Edited by Keys2Heaven

I wonder if carnival does any training for security personnel, or do they higher thugs off the street? Not sure if I want to do my Australian cruise with them in 2019.

Extensive training; security are usually ex-military on cruise lines.

The elephant in the room:

4 straight days at sea far from land + unlimited drink packages + a large "me and mine against the world" group = ?

There is no unlimited drink package on Carnival and Australian cruises do not offer the Cheers package.

Seems like the elephant never entered.

Just read the Washington Post account of this cruise. What bothered me the most was not the fights, the security failures, it was the way the security personnel tried to cover up any record of the events.

According to the WP, cell phones were taken from passengers and the CCL personnel erased video of the events.

How “owned” are we when we set sail?

First of all, this is not a Carnival-centric problem. Idiots cruise on every line, regardless of price points. One of the biggest problems, in my personal experience, is large family groups. I was on a 14 day Celebrity cruise with a large, extended family on board that did nothing but create havoc. Some of the things that happened were food fights in the MDR (parents sat at a separate table from the kids, on the opposite side of the DR), teens throwing feces in the pool, kids putting their hands in the food in the buffet, kid picking up a large salad bowl and throwing it at his cousins, letting off a stink bomb, running in the hallways at 3am and pounding on doors, and treating the staff horribly (I speak the language this family used, and the filthy language they used to the staff would make the most hardened person blush). These were just a few of the things that happened. I asked a security person why they didn't do anything to this group and was told they cruise every year and spend tons of money. So, I guess we know what's more important to cruise lines. In addition to that cruise, I was on Crystal where a large family group was on board, and while they weren't as bad as the Celebrity group, they still caused a lot of problems like starting fights and throwing glass bottles and wine glasses at each other at the pool almost daily.

Regarding the staff trying to prevent the people videoing the incident, I can again tell you from first hand experience that while cruise lines might not train their security well, they do train them, and all their staff, on CYA. If staff doesn't tow the company line and do, and sometimes say, what they are told, these staff fear they will be fired. So, it doesn't surprise me that they were trying to take phones away. No better way to show bad behaviors than a video.

Just read the Washington Post account of this cruise. What bothered me the most was not the fights, the security failures, it was the way the security personnel tried to cover up any record of the events.

According to the WP, cell phones were taken from passengers and the CCL personnel erased video of the events.

How “owned” are we when we set sail?

If you want to be see owned during an event like this, check out Disney. We have seen them segregate witnesses into different areas quicker than you can believe. It is not unreasonable for a company to try and manage these types of situations.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have no problem with security kicking people on the floor who are fighting.

I had my dog at a dog park when she and another dog got locked into a vicious fight. I had to kick the stew out of them both to get them to stop. No way I was going to reach my hand into that gnarling mess of teeth!

I love my dogs dearly but if they fight they are going to get kicked.

Or you could just learn how to break up a dog fight properly. Just like the Carnival security bozos could learn crowd control and compliance techniques properly.

If you want to be see owned during an event like this, check out Disney. We have seen them segregate witnesses into different areas quicker than you can believe. It is not unreasonable for a company to try and manage these types of situations.

Taking my phone and destroying evidence is a bit more than “managing”. What right do they have to do that?

Ah! On their ship on the seas they can do as they like. We did sign their contract.

Between the fighting and kicking, people going overboard, the murder/suicide on the Freedom and the failed health inspections..... it's becoming a real Soap Opera! "The Questionable and Dangerous"

We are sailing next month. I do really have a great time on Carnival but the health inspections keep failing , I just don't know.

Taking my phone and destroying evidence is a bit more than “managing”. What right do they have to do that?

Ah! On their ship on the seas they can do as they like. We did sign their contract.

Actually I was talking about land based Disney. The point is that all companies have damage control. I have no idea what the details here are, the WP is not in my read list.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is no unlimited drink package on Carnival and Australian cruises do not offer the Cheers package.

Seems like the elephant never entered.

I stand corrected. ...but the elephant is still there, he just costs more.

Kicking in the real world is a felonious act even for cops. Besides the one getting kicked was the one at the bottom of the pile.
Hey if kicking works to break it up and I'm on the bottom getting smothered or strangled by some smelly violent drunk (And I don't see where it was the person on bottom at all btw) kick away.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Good for Disney. I just hope it doesn't come to charging Disney type prices in order to have adequate onboard security in the future.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8504F using Tapatalk

Hey if kicking works to break it up and I'm on the bottom getting smothered or strangled by some smelly violent drunk (And I don't see where it was the person on bottom at all btw) kick away.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

I’m with you on that one.

Good for Disney. I just hope it doesn't come to charging Disney type prices in order to have adequate onboard security in the future.

Where did the cost of security come up in the discussion?

My DW wife have not been on that many cruises, 5 going on 6 in Aug '18. I have seen "almost fights" on RCCL, and NCL. The RCCL (almost fight) I thought was going to be really bad. Security handled it swiftly and correctly. We were kind of mad because it was only around 12:45am-ish and they closed down the drinking. Although we were upset because we had done nothing wrong, but still was cut off, it was the right thing to do. In Aug this will be our 3rd Carnival Cruise and I have not witness as much dunk-in-ness then I have on our one RCCL, and this is first hand experience.

Where did the cost of security come up in the discussion?

Everything comes at a cost. The security budget on Carnival maybe too small right now and could be a cause of being unable to control unruly behavior properly. All I was trying to say. Nothing against Disney. I am giving them credit.

Everything comes at a cost. The security budget on Carnival maybe too small right now and could be a cause of being unable to control unruly behavior properly. All I was trying to say. Nothing against Disney. I am giving them credit.

I get it, we have no idea what any entity pays for these or whether what they do have is reasonable or not. My point in mentioning Disney was that they try and do damage control as well she bad things happen (and they do, to all cruise lies and resorts, despite the misguided views of some here).

My DW wife have not been on that many cruises, 5 going on 6 in Aug '18. I have seen "almost fights" on RCCL, and NCL. The RCCL (almost fight) I thought was going to be really bad. Security handled it swiftly and correctly. We were kind of mad because it was only around 12:45am-ish and they closed down the drinking. Although we were upset because we had done nothing wrong, but still was cut off, it was the right thing to do. In Aug this will be our 3rd Carnival Cruise and I have not witness as much dunk-in-ness then I have on our one RCCL, and this is first hand experience.

RCL has no limit on their drink pkge. while Carnival has a 15 drink limit! Not sure it matters, but it might!:confused:

I get it, we have no idea what any entity pays for these or whether what they do have is reasonable or not. My point in mentioning Disney was that they try and do damage control as well she bad things happen (and they do, to all cruise lies and resorts, despite the misguided views of some here).
Airlines tack on a security surcharge for TSA. Maybe a security surcharge is in order on Carnival to help fund the cost of improved onboard security in the future?