Huge brawl on the Legend, with video.

Thorncroft

I have heard of other cruise lines putting off entire families who caused disturbances at the next available port and not letting them continue on sailing. Wonder why it took so long for this to happen especially if there were complaints by other passengers about this same group prior to this escalation.

MARAPRINCE

“The actions seen on the video by our security team are not in line with our Carnival values and policies,” a spokeswoman said in a statement. “We are conducting a full investigation and will take appropriate corrective action as necessary.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dr-gridlock/wp/2018/02/17/a-10-day-carnival-cruise-in-the-south-pacific-descended-into-violent-anarchy/?utm_term=.3d1e116e7470

I have heard of other cruise lines putting off entire families who caused disturbances at the next available port and not letting them continue on sailing. Wonder why it took so long for this to happen especially if there were complaints by other passengers about this same group prior to this escalation.

MARAPRINCE

I've been trying to find articles on this and one story indicated that they might have tried that, but that the port wouldn't take them. Some of them were restricted to their cabins, but don't know if it was the folks assaulting other passengers or just family members. Nor do we know how long they were restricted to their cabins.

Remember, according to passengers, this started on day 1 and went on until day 9 out of a 10 day cruise.

This would be my extreme resolution. As Captain, if I couldn't find a port to take them, I would turn around and head for home. Once there, Carnival should have refunded 100% the cruise fare for every passenger (minus the family) and then filed a lawsuit against the Barkho family for the lost revenue as a result of their actions.

I have read this entire thread and found 2 Post’s that seem to have put this entire unfortunate incident into proper perspective. The 1st by David -Sobe and the 2nd by Keys2Heaven. Obviously Carnival does not have a ZERO Policy for misbehavior. Just written by a PR damage control employee as an inducement to make Passengers feel safe on their Carnival Cruise. Folks I have been there many times in this type of a situation after having spent 10 years as a Police Officer. It’s not as easy to deal with as some of your posts make it out to be. In the heat of battle there are usually some mistakes made in handling all the participating parties, especially with multiple people involved, so cut these obviously untrained Security Personnel a little slack.

It seems like the most appropriate place to discuss the matter, and there is no requrement to have an upcoming cruise booked, to learn and get to the bottom of all this. Besides, If I tried to discuss this under let's say, "Scuba and Snorkeling", the mods would just transfer it back here anyways.

Would you go to a NASA forum, and ask people what they're doing there, if they're not joining the astronauts into space? NASA has cheerleaders and critics alike.

If I truly wasn't going to be frequenting a business anymore then belaboring the point becomes trolling.

I had 2 Carnival cruise's booked for this year. I will sail on the one that is already paid for since I will lose to much money if I cancel now. The second cruise I chose to cancel and rebook on another line who is not in any way connected to Carnival.

We sailed on Carnival twice in the last year. While the first cruise was wonderful the second left a lot to be desired. But then again, not all experiences are going to be what you expect. We did choose to give them another try by continuing to sail with them. However, I noticed things changing and being cut back. 24 hour complimentary room service was included in my cruise when I booked and paid in full. Now, we don't order much room service and when we do in the evening it is mostly the 'extra charge' items anyway, but the fact that we are now expected to pay for all items from room service between certain hours is not fair when we have already paid for our cruise before this became public. Carnival offered a product for a certain price, we bought that product and then Carnival changed the rules after they received the money. In fact after we heard the announcement about the changes to room service, Carnival's website was still offering 24 hour complimentary room service, so anyone booking a new cruise and not aware of the changes, would think they were still getting 24 complimentary room service....so, I guess this would be false advertising? BTW- nothing is ever complimentary....that cost is already in the price of your cruise. This is not going to ruin our cruise but makes me wonder about Carnival's integrity.

So, now I hear about the Sanitation issues. I had worked in the food industry for many years and know that the health inspectors can and will deduct points over minor issues, but Carnival had points deducted for hiding food and soiled items in the crew's cabins. This is a big deal! Totally unacceptable and disgusting.

My husband and I are not the type to party at night. We go to bed fairly early and watch the news or something on TV, however on our upcoming cruise that probably isn't going to happen since I heard many of the channels will not longer be available.

Now there is the fight on the Carnival Legend. I saw the video and saw security who seemed to be attacking guests who were taking pictures and video of what was going on. I saw security kicking passengers who where already on the floor. Where they 'HIGHLY TRAINED' security? Are these the kind of security guards who will keep us safe on a cruise in the middle of the ocean? Why were these trouble makers not taken care of when they first showed signs of aggressive behavior? If this were a larger group of troublemakers, would Carnival's 'HIGHLY TRAINED SECURITY' been able to get the situation under control?

I'm pretty sure, unless things change, this will be my last cruise with Carnival. I know things like this can happen on any cruise line, but what matters is the way the cruise line handles it. This is my opinion and we are all entitled to have one.

Soldiers are trained to kill. They would be effective against terrorists on high sea but a wrong tool to deal with civilian thugs like the Barkhos. That's a job for cops.

I think there is way more to this story then what you all are assuming. I read and article that said 1 member of this family called a relative to ask for help, he asked him to call the federal police. If you are the aggressor why would you be calling for help? Why would you ask for someone to call the police? And why couldn't you get help from carnival security? Remember folks it takes 2 sides to fight

Haven't they for the past several years now?

I'm convinced that the only people cruising Carnival are the people that have been cruising them for decades. Just imagine - if you were young with a family and you were trying to decide on your first family vacation, and you have no prior cruising experience, would you really choose Carnival after all of the stuff thats been in the media in recent years?

Don't be so convinced! There are many reasons people choose Carnival.

For us it's because Carnival sails to the Southern Caribbean in May, which coincides with our 40th Anniversary and was our only choice for that time frame.

Will we have fun absolutely, we won't starve as some complain the food is bad, we will enjoy Cheers without worrying about what we are spending.

We see 4 ports we haven't been to.

Is Carnival our first choice anymore No, but it fits the timeframe needed.

At first I was shocked at watching a carnival employee kicking a passenger but after learning more I get it. But I think we can all agree it was handled poorly.

The scariest part of this to me is it does not seem like the ships are equipped to deal with a large problem like this. These where young thugs looking to pick on people from what I’ve gathered. What would carnival do if 4 or 5 large men who where trained to fight wanted to take over the ship and worked together to do so?

Only hope I could see is if the passengers stood against them instead of hiding in their rooms. The ships security does not seem adequate Judging by the fine fighting/take down skills displayed by the 150 pound security guards shown in the video.:confused:

I have never seen anything like this on my Carnival Cruises and have seen many a drunk person on those trips. What is bothersome is why this brawl was not stopped early. My guess, and only a guess, is that there were some violently raised voices before the fisticuffs (I doubt this began with someone taking a blind swing at another person). Where was security before this elevated to the level seen on the video? If security was on top of their game, either with video cameras or reports from other crew members, someone should have arrived and stepped in earlier.

I don't want to see guns onboard but perhaps tasers or tear gas would come in handy with better training for the security folks. I'm not sure kicking someone when they're down is appropriate. I'm not even sure they have handcuffs issued to them. To me they're like mall cops but when you're in the middle of the ocean you should feel safe with a well equipped and trained security force.

I've been on six Carnival cruises and have never seen a fight (either verbal or physical) so there's that. When some idiot or idiots decide to act like children restrict them immediately to their cabin with a guard and kick them off at the next port to get back home on their dime.

We’ve have cruises on carnival about 17 times never have felt unsafe are seen a brawl like the one we’re discussing. I to believe it’s a isolated incident and you can bet Carnival is going to deal with something that has hit the media like this incident right now and it’ll drive some policy changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We’ve have cruises on carnival about 17 times never have felt unsafe are seen a brawl like the one we’re discussing. I to believe it’s a isolated incident and you can bet Carnival is going to deal with something that has hit the media like this incident right now and it’ll drive some policy changes.

There needs to be a lot of policy changes at Carnival, I'm afraid.

I think there is way more to this story then what you all are assuming. I read and article that said 1 member of this family called a relative to ask for help, he asked him to call the federal police. If you are the aggressor why would you be calling for help? Why would you ask for someone to call the police? And why couldn't you get help from carnival security? Remember folks it takes 2 sides to fight

Uhh... No. It takes two sides to make peace, only one side to make war.

.I agree with almost all thats been said. So I won't repeat the comments. One question I ask is: do the cruise lines wake up in the morning and say to the waiter...ok today you put on this security shirt? What is their training to be "security"? This escalated over many days, who is in charge of security? did Carnival give their "security personal" any fast tracked training on tactics to take down or subdue a passenger? as the problem was sure to get worse. They could assume that it wasn't over. Kicking, and grabbing cell phones? ya that'll do it. Notice the officers in whites? just babbling in foreign tongue. What's the captain doing? All this over somebody stepping on a flip flop? seriously... There's nowhere on the ship that these unruly passengers could be held until they could be taken off? Zero tolerance..ya right...Lets remember..this could happen on ANY line....its the people, not the ship...Carnival is the Walmart of cruising....you get what you pay for...but you do pay for a safe and enjoyable experience, all would agree... CARNIVAL...give all these passengers a full refund...not a chance to pay you another 75% to cruise with you again....Just saying....I may not agree with you...but I'll defend your right to your opinion

Edited by cruzinroxyroller
left something out

Uhh... No. It takes two sides to make peace, only one side to make war.

It takes one side for an assault to occur. It takes two sides to fight. Once you decide to face the aggressor and start fighting back, you made the decision to engage. That’s a choice.

Officer with Indian accent should of really known better not to kick. The security guards in the black uniforms I feel sorry for in a way. They apparently didn't have the tools or training on how to properly respond. There are some I still question if they were really trying to help. The guy circling and just getting a kick in every once and a while. Also, the guy who drew back his fist and was going to punch a woman.

I understand why some are upset the focus on the security aspect of this and not the passenger's behavior. However, Carnival publicly displayed how weak their security is. You want to deter this type of behavior in the future. This video does not do that. Just booting these monsters off is not enough of a response. I know it is under investigation, but is really unbelievable in this day and age of increasing security threats, that this happened on one of Carnival's ships.

Edited by coaster

Well, the Barkhos are lawerying up and are disputing the events that took place. They will supposedly release their own statement later.

When Daily Mail Australia approached the family for comment on Sunday, a woman said they said they would be providing a full statement in due course.

David Barkho, the family's patriarch, has denied any of his relatives had started or were the cause of the clashes on board.

'It's all lies. None of what is being said is true. It's all in the hands of our legal team,' he told Daily Mail Australia on Friday.

'Members of my family are receiving medical attention at the hospital now.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5405103/Barkho-family-Carnival-Cruise-fight.html

But of course, David Barkho's sweet, innocent, angel family members couldn't have done this:

'One guy was having a smoke right next to the stairs on the top deck,' he told ABCNews, recalling the fight.

'Three of the gang members came down and started attacking him for no reason, one was from behind strangling him, the guy on the left was punching him in the head and the right was just trying to rip his shirt off.

I'm dying to see what their statement says. Edited by Keys2Heaven

It takes one side for an assault to occur. It takes two sides to fight. Once you decide to face the aggressor and start fighting back, you made the decision to engage. That’s a choice.

Agreed.

Just be aware, since we are discussing a group that made credible "throw you overboard" threats, it is

a choice that can end up with you dead.

Yes this happened on a Carnival ship, can this happen on another cruise line? Yes. One of the problems I have is when I pay for my cruise a part of my payment should include security for my safety. It’s up to whatever cruise line to provide that to me! After 30 cruises I’ve seen a lot of different instances but must admit this is just horrible.