Danube water levels 2018 and similar topics - plus tips and info

notamermaid

The river levels have risen very slightly, probably due to the Oktoberfest excesses finally reaching the Danube.🍺

Over the next 8 days some rain is forecasted, but only very light drizzle, cloudy and foggy at about 0°C.

When looking at the forecast for Passau, I saw monsoon type rain fall over the next several days, especially in the evening, more than enough to put the Danube back on its legs. BUT I then looked at the temperature - 32°C, that could not be right. Checked further and found that I had selected Passau in Indonesia - one never stops learning here on CC

image.png.e44333d59f0be92b46bff2a94a204cdd.png

• Haha 1

Geography :classic_biggrin: Passau in Indonesia, now that is exotic. One of my favourite comparisons is Nassau on the Lahn river in Germany and Nassau on the Bahamas. They could hardly differ more from another. But comparing the two Passaus tops the Nassaus. Yep, cruisecritic is good for geography.

Thank you for the photos of Passau in 2013. Saw the flooding images at the time on television, of course. We on the Rhine can relate well. Although I am not directly threatened in house and home when the Rhine bursts its banks, the knowledge of the next flood happening with almost annual certainty is always there in the back of my mind.

But for now, there is far too little water. I hope most of that rain forecast will make it into the Danube in the right places. We need to get your petrol prices down quickly.

notamermaid

• Like 1

2 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Geography :classic_biggrin: Passau in Indonesia, now that is exotic. One of my favourite comparisons is Nassau on the Lahn river in Germany and Nassau on the Bahamas. They could hardly differ more from another. But comparing the two Passaus tops the Nassaus. Yep, cruisecritic is good for geography.

Thank you for the photos of Passau in 2013. Saw the flooding images at the time on television, of course. We on the Rhine can relate well. Although I am not directly threatened in house and home when the Rhine bursts its banks, the knowledge of the next flood happening with almost annual certainty is always there in the back of my mind.

But for now, there is far too little water. I hope most of that rain forecast will make it into the Danube in the right places. We need to get your petrol prices down quickly.

notamermaid

We board our ship (Viking Vilhjalm) on Dec 5 in Passau which then goes to Budapest. There is a rain/snow mix forecast in Passau for the 7 days before. Maybe just maybe we might make the Vienna to Budapest segment after all.

F704B2F4-7693-418D-A8C1-E2EBADED7B0B.jpeg

6 hours ago, steamboats said:

Hi Chris,

I fear to Dec 8th the hopes for rain won´t help much. We need at least two weeks of constant rain. And currently it´s too cold as it´s around freezing point.

Our gas price in Munich is 20 cents higher than in Berlin due to the low water situation as the crude oil is coming by ship. Also the price for domestic fuel oil has gone up (plus we had an explosion in a refinery here in Bavaria so they can´t come up with the needed capacity until that refinery is rebuilt).

This has been the dryest year ever. We had almost no spring and no fall but changed from winter to summer and back to winter.

steamboats

Thank you steamboats for putting things in perspective for us.  While we’re concerned about our upcoming travel there’s the everyday effect that the drought is causing for locals, not only those in the tourist trade.

21 hours ago, Cruise Critic Chris said:

Cruise Critic here in the same boat (ha). I am slated to be on Emerald Waterways, leaving Budapest on Dec. 8 for Nuremberg. Reading the threads and hoping for rain! 

Greetings,

We are also doing the Emerald Christmas Markets Tour out of Budapest leaving December 8th. traveling with my husband brother and his wife, they are celebrating 50th wedding anniversary.    We chose December as we are new to river cruising and assumed that the water situation would not be an issue in December.  LOL .  Doing the document dance, as we just received all our documentation.  Hope we are able to complete it all without too many diversions.  We are arriving Dec 6 to have a little more time to enjoy Budapest.  Packing is a challenge as I want to bring both warm clothes and rain gear.  Worse possible scenario is river to dry to sail but to have 10 days of rain.  I am sure we will have lots of fun whatever the situation.  We can't control mother nature and Emerald seems to be working very hard to ensure we have the best experience possible.  I assume they are not telling us anything now in hope things will resolve.  See you on board.

1 minute ago, candiac said:

Greetings,

We are also doing the Emerald Christmas Markets Tour out of Budapest leaving December 8th. traveling with my husband brother and his wife, they are celebrating 50th wedding anniversary.    We chose December as we are new to river cruising and assumed that the water situation would not be an issue in December.  LOL .  Doing the document dance, as we just received all our documentation.  Hope we are able to complete it all without too many diversions.  We are arriving Dec 6 to have a little more time to enjoy Budapest.  Packing is a challenge as I want to bring both warm clothes and rain gear.  Worse possible scenario is river to dry to sail but to have 10 days of rain.  I am sure we will have lots of fun whatever the situation.  We can't control mother nature and Emerald seems to be working very hard to ensure we have the best experience possible.  I assume they are not telling us anything now in hope things will resolve.  See you on board.

candiac,

you lucky person you will have cruisecritic celebrity onboard! :classic_smile:

Chris, I hope you and all Emerald passengers will have a great time on board and at the markets. I am sure the situation will improve, it just has to with one of the cruisecritic editors joining us ordinary people.

Would love to see Budapest in snow. Hope you get some, and some rain in the Danube before you leave.

notamermaid

We have just arrived in Vienna after our private flight chartered by APT, no long coach trips here 🙂

Even the transfer from Vienna to Budapest will be on the Imperator train.

Tonight we have the 2nd of the Signature events which is the special performance of a boys choir hear in Vienna.

So despite all obstacles APT will have managed to deliver all 3 signature events and a very enjoyable cruise, I hope that those on the return trip starting in a few days time are as fortunate.

• Like 1

Today in Vienna on Crystal Mozart - it was a gray day. It started out with a light mist for a short time but otherwise was cloudy and probably hit 40. It felt like a "cold 40" with out the sun and with the mist in the morning.

Went on 2 tours today and had a great time. 

Tomorrow Melk. We will sail tonight.

• Members

LOL! We've had Cruise Critic editors on a bunch of affected sailings this season. One editor had her Ama itinerary switched to Dutch waterways from the Danube. All have still been fun, as will our Emerald sailing. 

We did have an editor scheduled to be on Viking Egil, also leaving the same date out of Nuremberg. She received word last night that her cruise was canceled. I checked in with Emerald PR this morning, and we're still a go. 

Candiac, looking forward to meeting you! My husband, along with sister and her husband as well as my parents are coming on this cruise with me. We're all going to have a great time, no matter what's going on. 

Hi cruise critic Chris

Could you please provide info from your colleague, scheduled on Viking Egil from Nuremberg, I believe DEC 8?  Was this romantic Danube cruise, or other itinerary?  I was just told by viking they had not, and were not, cancelling anything.

13 minutes ago, Jcat2010 said:

Hi cruise critic Chris

Could you please provide info from your colleague, scheduled on Viking Egil from Nuremberg, I believe DEC 8?  Was this romantic Danube cruise, or other itinerary?  I was just told by viking they had not, and were not, cancelling anything.

Not only is it NOT cancelled, the Viking Egil even has a few rooms open for its Dec 8 sailing. 

Just seen that after ok weather next week in Vienna, all the days we have on the Danube - from Friday 30/11 to Tuesday 4/12 are 24 hour icy rain and snow "showers". What does that mean? Surely not relentless blizzards? Will we get some dry time to walk round the markets and take photos do you think? I can organise our days, because we are mostly not taking the walking tours, but have no idea when to head for the churches etc and when to walk to the viewpoints (sob).

3 hours ago, worldtraveller99 said:

Just seen that after ok weather next week in Vienna, all the days we have on the Danube - from Friday 30/11 to Tuesday 4/12 are 24 hour icy rain and snow "showers". What does that mean? Surely not relentless blizzards? Will we get some dry time to walk round the markets and take photos do you think? I can organise our days, because we are mostly not taking the walking tours, but have no idea when to head for the churches etc and when to walk to the viewpoints (sob).

Looking at and trusting weather forecasts more tha 8 days out has to be taken with a pinch of salt. Long term for Vienna (upto 15 days) is for temperatures around 0°C, cold westerly wind, the easterly winds bring the  brass monkey weather temperatures, but nothing insight. There could be some light (drizzle) showers or a few flakes flaoting down.

Suggest, Christmas Markets, Museums, Viewpoints and then churches.

Have a great holiday.

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 8:07 PM, Bgreco1 said:

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I are planning to be on the Riveria Cruise, Thomas Hardy Ship, for the Christmas Market Cruise departing Budapest on December 6th. I'm reading a lot about other Cruise lines not being able to sail to Budapest or out of Budapest does anyone know this line? And if they or any cruise ships are currently able to sail out of Budapest? Also I am seeing Rain this week in the Budapest area, can this possibly make a difference? I know its impossible to know but i'm wondering where it needs to rain for us to have a chance at sailing! Also so I can properly send my rain dance hopes. Thank you for any information!

Hi - we are on the same cruise, but leaving on the 16th December.  I would be interested in your experience and any issues/tips you may have.  Good luck with the cruise!

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 6:15 PM, B'Elanna said:

Hi Hilary and Graydon,

This is the new 'schedule' that the TA sent.

B'Elanna (real name Heidi) 

Capture.JPG

Hi Heidi

Our TA just told me that the above has been changed. We now drive over from Passau to Regensburg the late afternoon of 1st December - so have only 3 out of 6 nights in our nice new large ship, and 3 in the older ship with smaller cabins, huh. Did you know this? If so do you know what time the transfer is meant to be, as my TA doesn't. Thank you!

18 hours ago, worldtraveller99 said:

Hi Heidi

Our TA just told me that the above has been changed. We now drive over from Passau to Regensburg the late afternoon of 1st December - so have only 3 out of 6 nights in our nice new large ship, and 3 in the older ship with smaller cabins, huh. Did you know this? If so do you know what time the transfer is meant to be, as my TA doesn't. Thank you!

Thanks for letting me know. I'm currently at Dubai airport waiting for my flight to Vienna!! ;-)

On 11/22/2018 at 10:29 AM, pfjths said:

Hi - we are on the same cruise, but leaving on the 16th December.  I would be interested in your experience and any issues/tips you may have.  Good luck with the cruise!

I did find out one important piece of information. So being Riveria is a smaller company or perhaps just a smaller presence on the Danube, if the water levels are too low to cruise the trip will be cancelled. There is no alternative bus tour option like with other companies. I was told they usually don't make the call on whether it will be canceled until a week out. Luckily its a full refund if they cancel but its also a pain not knowing if our plans will have to change until 7 days out. We are planning this trip regardless but will be looking to scramble and book hotels if the cruise is cancelled. I will post on here once I hear if we are cruising but I don't think its looking good for us based on what others have posted. Perhaps being a week later you may have better fortune. 

As our wonderful mystery cruise with APT comes to an end here in Budapest, I can confirm that we are indeed staying at the Kempinski, which is right next to a Christmas market, and indeed the Marriott in Vienna was also easy walking distance to Christmas markets as well.

Our journey today between Vienna and Budapest on the Majestic Imperator train was a great experience and a testament to the dedication of the APT team as the train does not normally travel that route. We also had a group of 3 classical singers providing roving entertainment between the carriages.

APT have certainly managed to deliver a fantastic cruise along with all the promised ‘Signature’ events along the way.

Add in the absence of long coach or train transfers due to a special charter flight from Rotterdam to Vienna a day boat through the Rhine Gorge, the bonus of cruising a part of the Mosel as well and we really do have nothing to complain about.

Now we just have the final event of a dinner cruise tonight here in Budapest and it will all be over.

Based on our experience in these difficult circumstances it is hard to imagine why we would ever want to book a cruise with anyone other than APT in future...

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

As our wonderful mystery cruise with APT comes to an end here in Budapest, I can confirm that we are indeed staying at the Kempinski, which is right next to a Christmas market, and indeed the Marriott in Vienna was also easy walking distance to Christmas markets as well.

Our journey today between Vienna and Budapest on the Majestic Imperator train was a great experience and a testament to the dedication of the APT team as the train does not normally travel that route. We also had a group of 3 classical singers providing roving entertainment between the carriages.

APT have certainly managed to deliver a fantastic cruise along with all the promised ‘Signature’ events along the way.

Add in the absence of long coach or train transfers due to a special charter flight from Rotterdam to Vienna a day boat through the Rhine Gorge, the bonus of cruising a part of the Mosel as well and we really do have nothing to complain about.

Now we just have the final event of a dinner cruise tonight here in Budapest and it will all be over.

Based on our experience in these difficult circumstances it is hard to imagine why we would ever want to book a cruise with anyone other than APT in future...

We are the 24 November cruise Budapest to Amsterdam on APT but now in Budapest at Kempinski from tomorrow, Vienna by imperator Monday for two night and then flying to Amsterdam for a 11 day cruise through the Netherlands and Belgium. Not exactly what we wanted but better than no cruise. Thanks for your confident comments.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

APT = A Perfect Trip.

Have a good and safe journey home.

2 hours ago, Bgreco1 said:

I did find out one important piece of information. So being Riveria is a smaller company or perhaps just a smaller presence on the Danube, if the water levels are too low to cruise the trip will be cancelled. There is no alternative bus tour option like with other companies. I was told they usually don't make the call on whether it will be canceled until a week out. Luckily its a full refund if they cancel but its also a pain not knowing if our plans will have to change until 7 days out. We are planning this trip regardless but will be looking to scramble and book hotels if the cruise is cancelled. I will post on here once I hear if we are cruising but I don't think its looking good for us based on what others have posted. Perhaps being a week later you may have better fortune. 

Many have opted for a plan B.  Reserve your hotels but insure they can be cancelled if all goes well.  Also plan a route for yourselves. Most of Europe can be accessed through trains or if need be rent a car. If you have travel insurance it shouldn’t be too much of an issue, except a cancelled holiday. 

Best set of luck to you. 

3 hours ago, Mark_T said:

So glad your "altered trip" turned out to be wonderful!

16 hours ago, Mark_T said:

Pleased to hear you enjoyed your cruise and modified trip, and thanks for all the updates.