Early seating, will this ruin our cruise?

dmarch@islc.net

Booked this cruise about a month ago. We were wait listed for late seating. Docs came and we're early seating. This is like out 14th or 15th cruise. We've always been late seating. I can't imagine going in a 4:30 to get ready to eat. Putting on a tux in the daytime. YUCK! What to do? Does anyone have any positive comments about early seating?

Nothing can ruin a cruise except a bad attitude, and I don't expect that's an issue...we've had both, and enjoyed both...ask to be wait listed ASAP once onboard and roll with it...hope it works out, but don't let it drag you down.

We always (almost) ask and get early seating. We have been in most of the ports so returning late from an excursion is not an issue. Having the whole evening free afer completing dinner by 8pm is preferable to finishing at 10 or 10:30... But then I seldom stay up afer midnight... If you are a late owl then I can see asking for late sitting as soon as you get on board. It also allows you to sneak in that extra meal at tea-time for which we never have time nor appetite...

On HAL getting early dining without a doctor's note is almost impossible.

We have always choosed first seating and love it. We start to get ready around 5:00 p.m. for the 6:00 dining time. If we get finished dressing early we then go to the Rendovous for a drink. Very relaxed. If you are coming back from an excursion and might be rushed then do the casual dining in the buffet area. We did that on the Infinity and throughly enjoyed it. Have fun.

Marilyn

Y'all keep me honest. I love that! Maybe "ruin" is a little excessive. You see we've always been late getting out in the morning, we love to hang in our cabin until almost noon! That means it's time to get ready for dinner in only four to six hours. I'm teetering on changing immediately or trying it for a few days and then changing to late if it's really not good for us. I think the problem could be that our TA had us down for a two top (asked for six). Do you think if I were to go to the dinning room a few days into the cruise and asked for anything late, they could accommodate?

Thanks Y'all,

David

With the "second" show running during the early seating dining time, aren't you getting dressed relatively early anyway? We chose early this time because late was just too late for our DD on our last cruise. We might have made a mistake, but we will just deal with it.

Hi David, The Maitr'd is outside of the dining room starting about

12:30 on the day you sail.

There are always people there with requests...changes, table location,

etc.

They are usually very helpful:) And I think you are going on Century

right? The Maitr'd's are portside on deck 5 located in the Rendez-Vous

Lounge.

Hi David,

Lois R has the information you need. I have had to change our seating time several times on Celebrity, and they can usually accomodate a party of two just just wanting to change from early to late seating or visa versa. Whether you want to change on the first night or later, I would suggest you check with the Maitre 'd when you board. That way he has a chance of matching you with another party that might have late seating and would like early seating.

Petert

I always have late sitting but last cruise had early..

Hated It. Just being honest. My opinion.

If your use to late and like it, I would try and change to late

the first day on ship.

No matter what you have..you will have a great cruise. Bon Voyage!

You can always try to switch as soon as you board.. We used to do late seating but realized that although we could linger at the pool & not rush, that we needed major snacks in the afternoon, ate too late for health & then were too pooped after dinner to stay out much. Now we only do early & love it..so much to do after dinner--Cova, shows, movies, even the T pool....If you stay with early you can always book the alt rest for a night or two & ask for a later time to balance it off. That;s what we do.!

DH and I prefer second seating also, but with my DD only being 7, we thought it would be best to do the 1st seating on our recent Hawaii cruise.

To be honest with you the only down side was feeling a little more rushed getting ready for dinner. But half my problem was getting myself, DD and DS ready for dinner all at the same time. Also DH, Our closet was so crowede, only I knew where things were, I would pull clothes for everyone.

The early seating service was excellent. We never felt the service was rushed or slow. It was nice to enjoy the show after dinner. Nightlife on ship was just as enjoyable, and your dinner is settled when you go to bed. We also were able to pace ourselves a little better and actually go to bed at a decent hour on occasion.

So it really didn't dampen our enjoyment, other than that one issue of having to be ready earlier.

If you are not able to get your time changed, then just try to go with the flow. Also if you think you might have a late port day, you can either make a reservation for casual dining, or just order room service. We were late in getting back to your ship in Honolulu, and hadn't planned ahead, so for that one night we had room service.

Either way, don't let it ruin your cruise.

I disagree with the majority, your cruise is ruined, you're screwed, get out the 38 and end it now, there's nothing worse than first seating, babies crying and pooping at the table, Mom's, how should I say this, feeding the little ones without a bottle, having to leave the pool at 1:30 in the afternoon so the wifester has her 3 hours to get ready for dinner, late seating, early seating, blow my brains out, enjoy the cruise, that's all I have to say about this!

I agree with dcat - eating late almost becomes a fourth meal of the day! What cruise are you on - I'll trade with you! We are waitlisted for Early Seating on the 1/2 Infinity. We definately prefer the early seating, IMO it actually seems to fit the ship schedule better. On port days - the days I would agree we feel rushed, we make later reservations at the specialty (paying) restaurant. This works perfectly. Good luck - I can't imagine this will ruin your cruise. I think it makes the evening enjoyable and unrushed.

I disagree with the majority, your cruise is ruined, you're screwed, get out the 38 and end it now, there's nothing worse than first seating, babies crying and pooping at the table, Mom's, how should I say this, feeding the little ones without a bottle, having to leave the pool at 1:30 in the afternoon so the wifester has her 3 hours to get ready for dinner, late seating, early seating, blow my brains out, enjoy the cruise, that's all I have to say about this!

Thank you.. someone finally comes out and tells the truth to these poor people.... lol nice one

Booked this cruise about a month ago. We were wait listed for late seating. Docs came and we're early seating. This is like out 14th or 15th cruise. We've always been late seating. I can't imagine going in a 4:30 to get ready to eat. Putting on a tux in the daytime. YUCK! What to do? Does anyone have any positive comments about early seating?
We always book a late seating, and could be convinced to shift to early only in the event that it didn't mean scrambling back to get cleaned up for dinner after shore excursions. A trans-Atlantic might be one of those times we'd give it some serious thought. A cruise with ports nearly every day would be the least likely to attract us to early seating.

You don't say what kind of itinerary you've got, but for us, that would really decide it for us.

I'm with some of the others, though -- I think it likely that a twosome will be able to get moved to late seating. Just be sure you board early and have a chat with the Maitre d' first thing to improve your odds.

Well...I don't think it is really going to be dinner at 4:30 pm! :) But you can request a change, ASAP, when you get on board and I'm sure they will try and change it for you! Look on the bright side....those around you MIGHT be awake for the evening show! LuAnn

Ken and I prefer the early seating. It is sad to say, but we enjoy eating in the dining room for all three meals. That means we have to get up early to have breakfast between 7 and 9 (or so). That also means we want to be in bed around 11:30 or 12 mid. I have posted our cruise eating schedule before:

8:30 AM Dining Room--breakfast

10:00 AM Cova Cafe--grab a quick snack from the last of the pastries

12:00 PM Dining Room--lunch

4:00 PM Casual or Elegant Tea

6:15 PM Dining Room-supper

10:00 PM Pizza, pasta, or room service

Having the last seating would throw off our whole eating schedule. We would not want to miss a meal while on a cruise. We might get weak from hunger! ;)

... do you really need an hour and a half to get ready for dinner? Early seating has been 6 pm on most of our cruises so far. ONCE it was 5:45 and that was a little extreme. But even for formal night, half an hour max to get ready! and that's all three of us, including helping our sprout with his suit and tie :) But maybe that's because I gave up most makeup years ago (does nothing but clog pores, really) and don't do much with the hair beyond put it back with a barrette ... Seriously, I have seen people post before that they need an hour-plus to get ready for dinner. What do you do? C'mon, tell all, make me feel like a slobby sloth who really should get her act together and look NICE on behalf of all those of you who go to the trouble to do so :) Would love to hear the secrets -- TR, with TWELVE dinners looming on Galaxy 4/1/06, woo hoo

On the other hand, you may find that you like early seating, never having tried it. I was surprised I liked late seating, as I do not like to go to bed on a full stomach. I used to like early seating but then found myself eyeing the pasta at 11:00 PM. The alternative restaurants are great options! I may skip the dining room all together on my next cruise.

On HAL getting early dining without a doctor's note is almost impossible.

Arno, you are SO funny! Hope you two are enjoying your holidays. I'm taking your advice (and lead) and squeezing as many cruises as I can into the New Year. How's the dancing coming?

Archived