LOST picture ID! Sail in 2 weeks, now what?

Alimariecruisin

NO...it needs to be a DL or state issued ID

Almost--it needs to be a "Government issued photo ID." It can be a state, federal, or local government that has issued the document. For instance, a military ID is acceptable, or if you work for the federal or local government, their work ID is acceptable.

Several months ago DH was to board a plane for a domestic flight. Realized he didn’t have his DL with him. ... The agent let him board with a Costco card for id. [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

USA domestic flying without a government issued picture ID is possible, but there will be extra steps taken to prove you are who claim to be.

USA domestic flying without a government issued picture ID is possible, but there will be extra steps taken to prove you are who claim to be.

My former BIL had his wallet stolen the night before flying home for Thanksgiving - no government photo id. He was able to get on the flight, but my sister (the ex-wife) doesn't remember what he did).

My former BIL had his wallet stolen the night before flying home for Thanksgiving - no government photo id. He was able to get on the flight, but my sister (the ex-wife) doesn't remember what he did).

If you lose your government ID the TSA may let you use some other ID or ask you questions to confirm your ID. They can check data bases to confirm ID. That will only work for domestic flights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I appreciate your post......and it made me laugh.....and recently I have been pretty active...so have gotten a kick out of many of your posts.....When some of us have been on these boards off and on for soooooooooooo long it can be quite amusing, especially when popular opinion changes......Enjoy.....

Thank you.

Hey guys, this could happen to anyone in any state so best to know what your back up plans are in case it happens to you...cruise critic exists for all of us to share our experiences and our suggestions/views without others being mean...or inappropriate. I appreciate all posters who express their views respectively even if I don't agree with their opinions.

Glad everything is working out for you!

In the spirit of sharing experiences for the benefit of others in similar situations: ( I personally learn a lot from Cruise Critic this way! So paying it forward!!! Plus, I really appreciate the ‘culture’ - read: different personalities- insights!!! )

We took our kids in college on a western Caribbean cruise about five years ago, and because the online written documentation allowed a driver’s license as an option for photo ID, I didn’t bother with bringing my or my son’s passport. ( although somehow we brought the DH and DD’s!).

At disembarkation / customs in Fort Lauderdale, when DS and I presented our driver’s licenses, we were pulled over by the agent and given the 20 questions routine. It added another 15 minutes to the process, while my DH and DD (impatiently) waited on the other side! I *think* my son’s age and beard and our Mexican and Jamaica itinerary might have something to do with it! ( although i didn’t notice any dog sniffers around!)

We did get through, of course, but my DH regularly reminds me NOT to forget to bring my passport, even on a closed loop cruise. He always double checks that we have our passports about 2 months before we need them. Thank goodness someone in the family plans ahead. We do have relatives that have had to fly to the passport offices for the expedited process just before travel!

It is one of those family stories: remember when you forgot to bring the passports?!

And in the FWIW department, in the wide-ranging off-topic conversation here, folks may want to consider applying for the Trusted Traveler / GOES program. It is $100/pp ( some credit cards will reimburse you) and requires a personal interview at an airport ( that can take two months to get the appointment). It lasts five years. Gives you expedited entry back in to the United States, even on a closed loop cruise that makes one stop out of the country. And it comes with TSA-Pre. Well worth the time, effort and money, IMO, even for occasional travel.

Travel should be fun!

With the Real ID in place in CA, I believe you have to produce documents to get a new one. I don’t agree with it since we know we all had to when it was issued the first time. He will also have to have a new photo taken so it means a trip to DMV.

Just a quick note to all that my husband was finally able to get a passport...was a difficult journey because we had to drive up to San Francisco two days in a row (8 hour round trip just for driving) but it's over now with 8 days to go till cruise.

With the Real ID in place in CA, I believe you have to produce documents to get a new one. I don’t agree with it since we know we all had to when it was issued the first time. He will also have to have a new photo taken so it means a trip to DMV.

Real ID isn't "mandatory" in California until 2020 and I wouldn't hold my breath about that date. My CDL doesn't expire until 2021 and I sincerely doubt they will require me to update it prior to expiration. I'm not at all sure they will require the Real ID when I do renew in 2021.

OP is in California. My daughter moved there a year ago. The process there is painful (in contrast to where I live) and everything must be mailed. The clerks are at the very low end of functioning; I caught the one who handled her in 4 errors during the process and still I missed one! At least in LA' date=' it is not a pleasant experience, and this was with an advanced appointment.[/color']

OP;

Hope everything, works out for your DH, but the above poster hit the nail directly on the head regarding the DMV.....

Bob

Real ID isn't "mandatory" in California until 2020 and I wouldn't hold my breath about that date. My CDL doesn't expire until 2021 and I sincerely doubt they will require me to update it prior to expiration. I'm not at all sure they will require the Real ID when I do renew in 2021.

They won’t require you to update it before expiration but if the final Real ID act date of October 2020 is not extended you won’t be able to use that license as ID to fly after October 2020.

Just wondering...we have a couple of credit cards with our pictures on them...would that work???

BTW: when you get back from your cruise (even start the paperwork now), get a passport. You never know when you'll need one.

Cruise lines require government issued photo ID. No exceptions.

Just a quick note to all that my husband was finally able to get a passport...was a difficult journey because we had to drive up to San Francisco two days in a row (8 hour round trip just for driving) but it's over now with 8 days to go till cruise.

Great news! Whew! Did you also get yours at the same time? I would not get off the ship in Ensenada without one.

Great news! Whew! Did you also get yours at the same time? I would not get off the ship in Ensenada without one.

I did not get mine at same time because I did not have an emergency which was required for an immediate appointment. I will get mine on a regular schedule (and fee...emergency passports costs more). I'd rather have a normal time period to do what is required...it was difficult enough for just one of us dealing with it all. Thank you!

Good news, it was worth it, Bon Voyage

It's not in the house, he just doesn't remember where he used it last or if it fell out of his wallet while getting a credit card out...and he is spending the day back tracking places he went since last week.

Check all his pants pockets. When I fill my gas tank I put my credit card in my pocket and frequently have to go into the closet to find it.

Well, I feel I need to share this bit of drama with you all...as many of you may know my husband lost his pic id for our next cruise (in less than 2 days from now but at the time it was almost 2 weeks ago) and so we were freaked out because he didn't have a passport. (we've only cruised closed loop from California which only requires Dr. Lic photo ID and a birth certificate). So we get emergency appt. for a passport, took 2 days traveling to San Francisco...and yes he got the passport! Then today, less than 48 hours before boarding his new California Dr. Lic. arrives!!! In record time! I've never received any CA Lic. new or replacement in less than 2 and a half weeks...however we'd do it all over again the same because you can't trust the replacement to come in time! But it is kinda funny after the fact, and after all the stress...