Butlers??

orchestrapal

Viking cruises booked and paid for but very disappointed that even the large suites have no butlers.

Having a good size dining table inside and outside it would be so nice to have a butler serve some of the meals .

To those of you who have had butlers on other lines missed them on Viking and would it keep you from booking again?

Oh please. This is so not in keeping with the Viking ethos. If you want that kind of service kindly go elsewhere.

??? What’s wrong with butlers?

My DH used to be one. It was fun for him to have a butler himself when we went to a resort a few years ago. We probably wouldn’t opt for one again but can’t see why it’s so bad. What am I missing?

Oh please. This is so not in keeping with the Viking ethos. If you want that kind of service kindly go elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree. It isn't really the Viking ethos but the OP is not asking Viking to change its ethos, or even complaining about, and actually poses a very interesting question. I'm actually curious to read the answers.

Nasty! Guess you have never had one. Even the lowly MASS MARKET lines have them with no one bothered by them.

I have had butlers on other lines and not having one is not going to be a deciding factor in what cruise line I book.

Perhaps I didn't utilize them to the fullest, but I didn't find their services necessary. I haven't taken my Viking cruise yet, so I don't know if I will miss having one, but I don't see us having any needs that the staff cannot handle.

Nasty! Guess you have never had one. Even the lowly MASS MARKET lines have them with no one bothered by them.

My apologies. I should have been kinder. I fired off a note and by the time I had second thoughts it was off in the ether. Should have just stopped with the first two sentences. [emoji849]

Viking cruises booked and paid for but very disappointed that even the large suites have no butlers.

Having a good size dining table inside and outside it would be so nice to have a butler serve some of the meals .

To those of you who have had butlers on other lines missed them on Viking and would it keep you from booking again?

I believe the person who will bring the meal will serve you. We had room service breakfast almost every day and was always very nice served. It was different from what you talking about but I would ask Viking directly at TellUs@vikngcruises.com. Who knows maybe for ES category, they do something similar.

We have done suites on NCL multiple times with Butlers. No big deal in my mind. We love Viking compared to NCL. Would not ever be a factor in our choice.

By the way, you will find the good in the dining room and especially the buffet way above what you get on other ships. We enjoyed a long leisurely meal in the buffet with unlimited wine often.

We’ve done several cruises with butlers and to be honest, we never figured out what to do with them. Perhaps we are just too self reliant.

We’ve been on 4 Princess cruises in suites and haven’t missed having a butler. One less person knocking on my door is fine with me.

We have been on cruises where we had butlers but never used them. We never really needed them but maybe we didn’t know exactly how to use them? We have never used room service either. We like to be out of our rooms as much as possible. Maybe someone can tell me what butlers actually do for you?

We have been on cruises where we had butlers but never used them. We never really needed them but maybe we didn’t know exactly how to use them? We have never used room service either. We like to be out of our rooms as much as possible. Maybe someone can tell me what butlers actually do for you?

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=345

We have had butlers at some resorts and did not find them to be any benefit for us. I prefer to do my own packing/unpacking and can make my own dinner reservations.

I think what the OP MAY be referring to is having a meal served course by course as opposed to all at once with room service and covered dishes.

Well, there are butlers and there are butlers. Of course. The best ever was Theo on a Crystal outing: witty and outta sight helpful. A small bag was nearly destroyed by the airline. Theo got it totally repaired, better than new. One formal night my bride absolutely could Not get a pair of new earbobs into her lobes. Theo, a picture of concentration, obliged. And as a Rumanian, he did splendid Dracula imitations.

The worst bottom of the barrel was on Cunard, Queens' Grill: off-hand and oopity. The less we saw of the jerk, the better.

So. We can live with them. And live without.

Good question.

My likely atypical response.

We had a nice butler on Silversea. Unpacked our luggage, very helpful.

Our longtime travel mates next door were concerned that my wife would monopolize the butler. Au contraire. They ran the poor guy ragged with breakfast in the room, cocktail service before going to the cocktail lounge, everything. To my surprise as well, my wife did not use the butler service during the cruise at all.

The funny story is that we did ask him to pack our luggage. Somehow he missed a large suitcase under our bed. How he crammed everything into our remaining luggage defies science & engineering. We had to repack to meet baggage weight limits. Not a problem, just a funny experience on a wonderful Med cruise.

Our lowest category cabin on Silversea had 2 sinks, a large shower plus a jacuzzi bathtub. Large room. Superior (except for picture window vs veranda) to our Viking Penthouse Veranda.

We loved Silversea but I much prefer the superb Viking Ocean ship interior, selection of restaurants, etc.

Good question.

My likely atypical response.

We had a nice butler on Silversea. Unpacked our luggage, very helpful.

Our longtime travel mates next door were concerned that my wife would monopolize the butler. Au contraire. They ran the poor guy ragged with breakfast in the room, cocktail service before going to the cocktail lounge, everything. To my surprise as well, my wife did not use the butler service during the cruise at all.

The funny story is that we did ask him to pack our luggage. Somehow he missed a large suitcase under our bed. How he crammed everything into our remaining luggage defies science & engineering. We had to repack to meet baggage weight limits. Not a problem, just a funny experience on a wonderful Med cruise.

Our lowest category cabin on Silversea had 2 sinks, a large shower plus a jacuzzi bathtub. Large room. Superior (except for picture window vs veranda) to our Viking Penthouse Veranda.We loved Silversea but I much prefer the superb Viking Ocean ship interior, selection of restaurants, etc.

Interesting and funny! We have had butlers on all 25 of our cruises and have never had them pack or unpack.

It is just nice to have someone dedicated to just some of the cabins who is a constant on other ships. Now we’ll give Viking a try without a butler and i’m Sure we’ll enjoy it with the provided room service.

Why would you want someone to unpack your things, dont you want to choose where to put things and what to leave in your suitcase that you dont need. The room service delivery person does not serve your food for you on Viking, they drop off your huge tray on the table and leave. If you want to eat on your balcony just take your own items that you want and have fun. If you expect butler service go somewhere else, you wont be happy and only complain the whole time. Your room stewards are very helpful with requests if you need them.

During our 30+ cruises we've never been without a butler. At first it was interesting, but now we are more than happy to go without a butler. We like to unpack and pack our own things - we then know where our stuff is whilst on the cruise, and we can pack to suit ourselves ready for leaving the ship (we don't always go straight home). So having a Butler for us is completely unimportant - like formal nights (we can happily go without those too).

Cruising with Viking seems to be just right for us - looking forward to our next cruise.

Just another example of "different strokes for different folks", having a butler would make me tend to not select a cruise line. I think it would feel awkward or intrusive for me. Having someone make my bed and clean my bathroom and serve me lovely food on a beautiful ship is just the right amount of luxury for me! Add in the chance to wake up every day in a fascinating new city, and I am in heaven.

Just another example of "different strokes for different folks", having a butler would make me tend to not select a cruise line. I think it would feel awkward or intrusive for me. Having someone make my bed and clean my bathroom and serve me lovely food on a beautiful ship is just the right amount of luxury for me! Add in the chance to wake up every day in a fascinating new city, and I am in heaven.

We had butler service on Silversea. Simply did not use him other than the packing bit. Just "make my bed and clean my bathroom." So it is just the same as Viking Ocean if you simply don't ask for anything. Not a problem.

Except for serving food that is exactly what your cabin steward does. Makes your bed, cleans the bathroom (restocks soap, towels, etc as needed or requested), tidies up the cabin, and takes care of pretty much anything else you ask for. For me, that's plenty. Is that your point?

I had been considering Viking but after reading this thread - no more. We have taken a Viking River cruise on the Danube and it was great. But for ocean cruises we cruise with Oceania or Regent and always in suites with butlers. I love the additional services they provide and was shocked to learn that Viking Ocean doesn't have them. So - for get it. No Viking for us. Aside from on a river where they are very good and I don't need a butler!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums