Venice - is this itinerary realistic?

iujen94

My sister and I have barely a day in Venice before heading out on a cruise. Obviously we want to make the most of our time, as this may be our first and only visit there. Is this itinerary realistic?

9:15am - flight lands at airport

10:00 - have checked luggage, leave airport, take ATVO airport bus to Piazzale Roma

11:00 - be at hotel (Hotel Arlecchino in Piazzale Roma). Check in, drop bags and go

Take Vaporetto (slow line #1) down Grand Canal

12:00 - arrive in St. Mark's. Book tickets for St. Mark's Basilica for 12:15-12:30. Plan to spend until 2:00 in St. Mark's Basilica, including going to the San Marco Museum.

2:15 - book tickets for Campanile

3:00-4:00 Visit Doge's Palace

Take vaporetto to Peggy Guggenheim Collection

5:00-6:00 Peggy Guggenheim Collection

6:00-7:40 Gondola ride in the back canals (this is a MUST DO for my sister)

7:30 Dinner near the Guglie Bridge

I hate to have to plan things down to the minute, but I want to go ahead and book our St. Mark's Basilica and Campanile tickets online so we can skip the lines. We will be going in mid-June, if that impacts what you think.

Thank you SO much for any input!

You also need to pre-book tickets for the Doge's palace. I think one hour there is too short. And while the whole thing may be doable, you are rushing way too much.

You are taking a cruise the following day. Why not space things out a bit more that first day and leave the Guggenheim collection for the morning of the cruise? Use any extra time the first afternoon to enjoy the city and, maybe walk around to Rialto after visiting the Doge's palace. Then after visiting Peggy the next morning you could even stop at the Accademia for a quick look at some of the fabulous art in there. Actually, the Accademia opens at 8:15 and Peggy opens at 10, so you could reverse the order.

skip the slow vaporetto if you can. Enjoy your gondola ride instead and you can easily take a morning stroll around after you get your bearings. I stayed at Hotel Al Sole not far from you and unknowingly took the slow boat to San Marco. It's a waste of time on a schedule.

If you do stroll: One thing i learned is to look up for street signs and directions on the buildings. To get to the bridge or the plaza there will be arrows directing you and it's just a ton of fun and some cool little shops.

I think your schedule is overly ambitious and stressful but you can always cut what you haven't prepaid for.

I like marazul's suggestion to leave a thing (or two) for the morning before you board the ship. Your first day is very tight. And if you are coming from the US and may be jet lagged, you are going to feel like you're running on fumes after a few hours at that pace....

One suggestion I'd make, if you are planning on going to the upstairs museum at St. Mark's, is to skip the campanile. You get lovely views from the terrace above St. Mark's entrance and to the side (the Piazzetta). I feel the campanile is too much of the same for your time-frame.

Finally, I disagree on skipping the vaporetto ride up the Grand Canal. That, in itself, IS Venice. The most important houses lined the canal and that's how people got around. Take Rick Steves' book or mp3 that gives you a play-by-play of what you're seeing. It's not time wasted, IMO.

I’d definitely agree that you should buy Entrance tickets before hand, otherwise you’ll just spend precious time queueing. You can buy Doge’s Palace Tickets here http://palazzoducale.visitmuve.it/en/pianifica-la-tua-visita/tickets/. I’d recommend the Secret Itineraries Tour (in English) which takes you behind the scenes and is fascinating.

You can book a timed ‘skip the line’ ticket for the Campanil here https://www.venetoinside.com/attraction-tickets-in-veneto/tickets/st-marks-bell-tower-skip-the-line-entry/

You can buy Vaporetto one day tickets (24 hours from the time of your first ride) beforehand, but that gives you a voucher which you then have to change into tickets, so you won’t save much time doing this.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you all so much for the input. Our schedule was definitely . . . ambitious! I've re-worked things, and I like this MUCH better.

10:00 - have checked luggage, leave airport, take ATVO airport bus to Piazzale Roma

11:00 - be at hotel (Hotel Arlecchino in Piazzale Roma). Check in, drop bags and go

12:00 - arrive in St. Mark's. Get lunch somewhere in/near St. Mark's. Book tickets for St. Mark's Basilica for 1:15-1:30. Plan to spend until 3:00 in St. Mark's Basilica, including going to the San Marco Museum. (I cut out Campanile since we were just doing that for the view, which we can get from the balconies at St. Mark's)

3:00-4:30 Visit Doge's Palace

Wander around

5:30-6:10 Gondola ride in the back canals

Leisurely make our way to dinner

7:00 Dinner near the Guglie Bridge

Then Saturday morning, we will leave our hotel around 9am to be at Peggy Guggenheim right when they open at 10, spend an hour or an hour and a half there, and then make our way back to our hotel to get our luggage and over to the cruise ship.

Better?

Much better!

If you are in the Piazza, facing San Marco, you can walk to the left of it along the narrow street and you will (in a couple of blocks) find a number of small places to grab some lunch -- better prices than on the Piazza.

We are very active travelers, the the OP's itinerary would have me totally worn out :). So my advice is do not get too "hung up" on your itinerary that you find yourselves rushing from place to place to keep up with the pre-determined schedule. And there is one thing missing from the itinerary....assuming the OP enjoys walking and has no physical limitation. Venice is a fantastic place to walk. For example, just walking between the P. Roma and St Marks Square will take you through some interesting streets. We also love (and use vaporettos) but also like to spend time walking.

Hank

One of the joys in Venice is just wandering. We found a lovely strings concert one night in a church. Little bakeries with exquisite pastries, experimental and traditional gelato shops. Ciccheti, or small snacks with Prosecco or a spritz along a canal. There is so much to experience. I would recommend some time for just exploring.

We have been many times and still have not made it into the Guggenheim, but we have visited the Biennale several times and some of the less well known museums.

It is also hard to time things as customs on arrival if it is your first entry to the EU can take quite a while.

Enjoy the magic!

My sister and I have barely a day in Venice before heading out on a cruise. Obviously we want to make the most of our time, as this may be our first and only visit there. Is this itinerary realistic?

If you are from the E.U., maybe the first part of this is accurate. If you are U.S. or Canada or other non-E.U. citizen, plan on probably more like two hours to get out of the airport.

I just glanced at the rest of your day, but seems too much and too regimented. In my opinion, the only "must see" in Venice is Venice. The details are nice enough (St. Marks, the museums, etc.) but with limited time I would take a few deep breaths, and just start walking and enjoying. Lean on the rails and watch the wavelets in the canals under the bridges. Sit and watch the parents bait pigeons so that they willlaund on the kids' heads and provide a photo op. Sip some wine at one of the sidewalk cafes near the Rialto.

Stan

Totally understand you want to see as much as possible during your time in Venice - it is an incredible place. We have been several times and doubt you will be out of the airport on this time frame which could throw your whole day off.

Just a suggestion, part of "seeing" Venice is the uniqueness of the city, the vibe, and getting lost in the streets. Stopping for a glass of wine (or whatever) and people watching. I think adhering to this schedule will be stressful and you might miss what makes this city what it is. A thought, book the three most important places on your list, perhaps the Doges Palace, Campanile and gondola through the back streets and allow some time to enjoy the city. We also have done Peggy and my husband is not an art lover; it still took more than an hour.

Sometimes we get so wrapped up in our schedules (we have done the same thing) that we miss the main event - a beautiful, unique city.

Best wishes with whatever you decide to do - it will be a great experience!

We arrived from PHL in the morning and I don’t recall a long wait for customs. I believe it was just our flight being processed at the time. If you happen to wake up early, grab your camera and go walking. Venice is amazing when nobody is around and it’s quiet. You’ll have a good half day before heading to the ship. No need to get there to early.

12:00 - arrive in St. Mark's. Book tickets for St. Mark's Basilica for 12:15-12:30. Plan to spend until 2:00 in St. Mark's Basilica, including going to the San Marco Museum.

2:15 - book tickets for Campanile

3:00-4:00 Visit Doge's Palace

Take vaporetto to Peggy Guggenheim Collection

5:00-6:00 Peggy Guggenheim Collection

6:00-7:40 Gondola ride in the back canals (this is a MUST DO for my sister)

7:30 Dinner near the Guglie Bridge

I hate to have to plan things down to the minute, but I want to go ahead and book our St. Mark's Basilica and Campanile tickets online so we can skip the lines. We will be going in mid-June, if that impacts what you think.

lol I June if you leave Airport by 11 you are lucky . Took us almost 2 hours in MAY .One hour in Doge Palace no way you can make it. You really need a new plan.

Thank you all so much for the input. Our schedule was definitely . . . ambitious! I've re-worked things, and I like this MUCH better.

12:00 - arrive in St. Mark's. Get lunch somewhere in/near St. Mark's. Book tickets for St. Mark's Basilica for 1:15-1:30. Plan to spend until 3:00 in St. Mark's Basilica, including going to the San Marco Museum. (I cut out Campanile since we were just doing that for the view, which we can get from the balconies at St. Mark's)

3:00-4:30 Visit Doge's Palace

Wander around

5:30-6:10 Gondola ride in the back canals

Leisurely make our way to dinner

7:00 Dinner near the Guglie Bridge

Then Saturday morning, we will leave our hotel around 9am to be at Peggy Guggenheim right when they open at 10, spend an hour or an hour and a half there, and then make our way back to our hotel to get our luggage and over to the cruise ship.

Better?

I would really drop Basilica from your list. nothing really special inside but lines are huge. just stroll around Venice and enjoy your day.

I would really drop Basilica from your list. nothing really special inside but lines are huge. just stroll around Venice and enjoy your day.

I have no words.

The gold mosaics are stunning as is the Pala d'Oro (pay extra for a closer look). Even the floors are a work of art.

I have no words.

The gold mosaics are stunning as is the Pala d'Oro (pay extra for a closer look). Even the floors are a work of art.

Absolutely. But lines are huge and if someone only half day in Venice for my opinion there is better options to do,specially if mosaics not your favorite thing.

1. RE airport time... My comment above was based on my recent experience, arriving in Venice about 0900 from the U.S. on a Friday morning, late August last year. Four other planes about the same time. Lines extending from passport control up the stairs, back toward the debarkation points. The lady in line in front of us is Canadian, married to a Venetian but she is still on her Canadian passport and couldn't advantage the quick walkthrough you get if you are EU. She goes back and forth frequently, said that the airport is often a zoo.

2. I don't know if you are budget conscious. Everything I have read and from my personal experience, do NOT plan to have lunch on St Marks square. We knew that, wanted to have a glass of wine there just for the experience, and it was about $45 for the two of us.

p2752716738-3.jpg

There are some slightly less expensive sidewalk cafes to eat along the Grand Canal near Rialto but your feet may get wet at high tide. Actually, your feet may get wet anyplace in Venice at high tide.

p2752714850-3.jpg

Enjoy!

Stan

Absolutely. But lines are huge and if someone only half day in Venice for my opinion there is better options to do,specially if mosaics not your favorite thing.

Understood. Each traveler has to make choices as to what matters to them. But that's a very different thing than saying it is "nothing really special inside".

I'd rate it as more of a "must see" than the Doge's Palace.

Heck, I think it is more beautiful than St. Peter's, in Rome.

Understood. Each traveler has to make choices as to what matters to them. But that's a very different thing than saying it is "nothing really special inside".

I'd rate it as more of a "must see" than the Doge's Palace.

Heck, I think it is more beautiful than St. Peter's, in Rome.

cruisemom - you and goldenbonny will never bump into each other sightseeing. Godenbonny also said that there is nothing to see in Olympia and that it has the most boring museum ever.

Yes, there is something for everyone and that is all good.