New Internet Packages Available

karin037

Thanks everyone for posting this- I was going to use my Ipod Touch and alternate with my Kindle Fire HD8- (one item at a time of course per their guidelines).

Has anyone encountered any security issues from the packages? I know someone mentioned an increase in spam.

If I am already logged in on my ipod touch to facebook and twitter- would I need to reenter my passwords over NCL's network? Does the social package simply only function on these apps only and then blocks email apps etc..?

On a more serious note- did anyone find the UBP and internet package simply don't mix? I'm worried I would make drunk and stupid posts. :D:beer-mug::beer-mug::D

The internet is automatically cut off for 2 hours after you get a drink, so don't worry.

On the Gem April 21 we were allowed to just trade our free at sea perk for social media package for our 7 day sailing. Worked great for our 15 year old to stay in touch with her dad and friends back home. Snapchat and Facebook Messenger worked fine. Quick visit to internet café shortly after lunch and it was done. He offered to install the app on all our cell phones just with reminder that only one at a time can sign in. Adults had no interest so we passed on that offer.

So a sort of related question. When I was on the Escape we purchased the I concierge to just text using the app, but learned that iMessage worked as well. I thought I read recently that they were blocking it now. Anyone who sailed recently on the Getaway experience this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just off the Gem last Saturday, cruised for a week - compared to a year ago (same ship) and Breakaway, 6 months ago ... satellite WiFi is faster & better and I can reaffirm also, that the newest 3-tiered plan, including the social media, unlimited and premium WiFi unlimited plan had been launched - in addition to the smaller non-premium, basic/mini plans of 250 minutes, 100 minutes, 30 minutes, 15 minutes and PAYG by the minutes (99 cents, ouch)

As a result, directly & indirectly, those TCP/UDP and firewalled ports (Cisco hardware/server "identified") are now much tighter, the free-ridind data days onboard are pretty much over on the WiFi inTRAnet side of things ... no longer getting any message/SMS or text headers from cellular carriers (AT&T, T-Mo & Project Fi) "leadking" thru, being logged in & connected to the ship's system - UNLESS, one is further signed into one's user account (paid or "free"/voyage promo) with the usage meter running & tracking usage (thus, 1 device only at a given per sign-on)

Had about 350 WiFi minutes to use and checked out a # of Apps - videos won't load or run in Youtube (being the plan wasn't upgraded to premium) - general web browsing, news & emails worked just fine. Skype calling, Hangout & Duo calling and Ooma VoiP (audio) calling, thus FaceTime & Facebook Messenger as well - all worked without freezing or timing out/FC'd ... all pretty much as they've outlined & stated. Speed wasn't blazingly fast like Fios at home or at the office, but definitely better than a year or 2 ago that barely compete with land-based copper-wired DSL analog speed.

As far as iOS-based iMessages, it's highly likely that those previously "ports" are now locked it tighter, the "backdoors" had been closed, for all practical purposes - don't count on it to be working unless you are on a data plan of some kind.

It was about as good as what I am accustomed to when sailing the Breakaway - speedwise, not sure if the above limitations are now enforced on that ship, and coming out of drydock ... it's anybody's guess. The advantage for the BA has been its 250 minutes/1,000 MB allowance if the "free" plan was chosen - as it actually worked out to be a little over 1,000 minutes of metered usage, more than sufficient for light users and without the need to stream or run VPN ... that could also be changing now.

IMHO, it would be reasonable & logical for anyone considering and planning to use any of the ship's satellite WiFi internet to take the above into careful consideration for usage. Once docked & connected to shore-based signal towers, there are other options unless one stayed on the ship at all times ... a travel, roaming and/or international data plan would be the best option vs. unsecured & open WiFi network in a "foreign" place to minimize data breach, etc.

via dual sim QISKIW-L24 using AT&T or T-Mo on Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
Do you know if each person in the cabin can have their own wifi package if they each pay for it? TIA

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Yes, NCL will be happy to take your money for as many devices that you want to pay for. However there is an option to "kick off" another logged in device on the same account if they forget or for some reason are logged in when you want to use it.

I checked online for my cruise on Dec. 21, 2018 on the Star and the internet packages is greyed out showing 0. Is this something that will show up once final payment is complete (which is next month)?

I checked online for my cruise on Dec. 21, 2018 on the Star and the internet packages is greyed out showing 0. Is this something that will show up once final payment is complete (which is next month)?

Wonder this same thing so I called and was told 60 days prior to departure do the internet packages show up. And sure enough it did.

I checked online for my cruise on Dec. 21, 2018 on the Star and the internet packages is greyed out showing 0. Is this something ,,, ?

Not to worry, patience - won't show up until N minus 60 days out or so ... after mid October, it will be available.

NCL needs to get with the times. RCL Oasis class ships have had wifi capable of streaming netflix and just about anything else you'd want for 10 years now. Unlimited and works everywhere on the sip. My November cruise is costing me $88 for 7 nights. How in 10 years has NCL not been able to upgrade their services and why the heck are people paying so much for mediocre service?

Wonder this same thing so I called and was told 60 days prior to departure do the internet packages show up. And sure enough it did.

Not to worry, patience - won't show up until N minus 60 days out or so ... after mid October, it will be available.

Thank you both for the info. Glad to hear it.:D :D:Dclear.png?emoji-grin-1677:D

NCL needs to get with the times. RCL Oasis class ships have had wifi capable of streaming netflix and just about anything else you'd want for 10 years now. Unlimited and works everywhere on the sip. My November cruise is costing me $88 for 7 nights. How in 10 years has NCL not been able to upgrade their services and why the heck are people paying so much for mediocre service?

NCL just announced 4 shiny new ships. Somebody has to pay for them.

For your convenience of course.....

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know if you can currently upgrade from the 250 free minutes on the free at sea to the unlimited premium Wi-Fi? And if so how much does it cost?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes

On the Escape we did this. We paid the difference depending what package you want. We got the highest package, maybe $80 or so.

Yes

On the Escape we did this. We paid the difference depending what package you want. We got the highest package, maybe $80 or so.

Thanks. And where can you upgrade? I believe you have to upgrade at customer service. Maybe also at the internet cafe, wherever that is.

Thanks. And where can you upgrade? I believe you have to upgrade at customer service. Maybe also at the internet cafe, wherever that is.

When you register and log on for the first time, the system gives you the option of accepting your 250 min package or upgrading. It is [suppose to be] do it yourself.

We were on the Anthem a few months back and Voom did not go vroom. It was some of the worst internet service we have had in a long time. The Voom manager admitted that the sham ten was over subscribed and that he was still selling package.

We were on the Anthem a few months back and Voom did not go vroom. It was some of the worst internet service we have had in a long time. The Voom manager admitted that the sham ten was over subscribed and that he was still selling package.

I think O3b is only available on Oasis class. Anthem is definitely not as fast.