Weather in Baltimore 3/3/18

What is the status of the Grandeur of the Seas arriving in port tomorrow and departing in the afternoon in this storm 3/2/18? It sounds terrible, and we are due to be on it tomorrow!!

What is the status of the Grandeur of the Seas arriving in port tomorrow and departing in the afternoon in this storm 3/2/18? It sounds terrible, and we are due to be on it tomorrow!!

We live 40 min west of Baltimore. Winds are pretty intense right now with impressive gusts. No power outages yet that I’m aware of. I think it’s supposed to die down this afternoon

I thought i saw an earlier post that Grandeur was coming back sooner than planned to avoid the storm. If it calms down maybe it will depart as scheduled. I’m just thinking out loud though

Good luck and have fun. We just got if Grandeur last week after a 12 cruise. Had a blast!

Bob

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Right now Grandeur is making 17 knots heading north off the North Carolina barrier islands. As the nor’easter is heading away from Baltimore there shouldn’t be any issue with her reaching port on time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We live 40 min west of Baltimore. Winds are pretty intense right now with impressive gusts. No power outages yet that I’m aware of. I think it’s supposed to die down this afternoon

I thought i saw an earlier post that Grandeur was coming back sooner than planned to avoid the storm. If it calms down maybe it will depart as scheduled. I’m just thinking out loud though

Good luck and have fun. We just got if Grandeur last week after a 12 cruise. Had a blast!

Bob

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They are planning for a scheduled departure on 3/3 but have plans in place if the low drifts south

Looks like she is sitting off the outer banks right now.

http://www.***********/cruise-ship-tracker/royal-caribbean-international/grandeur-of-the-seas.php

[edit, well, my link didn't work. Didn't realize that was a cruise critic competitor... but you can google and get websites that track ship locations]

Looking at the NOAA bouys, we have about 6 foot waves at the mouth of the bay, (First landing) and 5 foot up at Goose Reef. The ones further north (ie. Annapolis and Patapsco) are taken down in the winter because of ice.

Nothing the ship can't handle. Plus, since the winds are coming mostly from the N to NNW, it'll be mostly into the winds.

Right now Grandeur is making 17 knots heading north off the North Carolina barrier islands. As the nor’easter is heading away from Baltimore there shouldn’t be any issue with her reaching port on time.

Sustained winds will be above 20 knots through 4pm Saturday, although worst of it is now through 7pm tonight.

https://www.windguru.cz/85083

Thanks for all your responses!! I should have known RC would be on the case!!:D

Interesting tidbit for anyone following the the nor'easter here. MTA just closed the Bay Bridge (near Annapolis) and the Tidings Bridge (not near where the cruise ships go) to vehicle traffic. The Key Bridge (under 2 miles from me) is open, but with wind restrictions. At my house, we are seeing gusts 30-40 mph, with sustained winds around 20 mph. Its crazy!

And I'm home today because my office closed, and then due to power surges and generator issues, they took our network down so we can't even work from home.

Its going to be a rough ride coming up the Bay tonight and probably back out tomorrow. But you'll still be on a ship going somewhere warm :)

The problem will not be sailing with the wind, it will be DOCKING that that much wind.

Depending on the wind direction it may difficult to dock or to get away from the dock.

Where can I get info about bridge closures ? Concerned about trying to get to the port tomorrow. Coming from the beach area of De

Thank you

I'd check the MD Transportation Authority twitter feed for quick check. https://twitter.com/TheMDTA

(sorry, I said MTA earlier, its MDTA. MTA is mass transit. MDTA is roads and bridges)

Edit: Coming from DE, if it were me, I'd leave a bit early and going up and over to I-95 in Newark. The reopened the Bay Bridge for now, but that bridge can be terrifying with trucks on a good day. Plus, it'll be cheaper than the Bay Bridge toll since you will just have to pay the tunnel at Ft. McHenry, which is cheaper than the Bay Bridge. The Susquehanna bridge toll is north only.

I was just on the news that they had to evacuate the tower at Dulles airport due to high winds.

Yes, it is a bit breezy in the DC area.

Biker, who saw several go arounds attempting to land at DCA this morning.

I'd check the MD Transportation Authority twitter feed for quick check. https://twitter.com/TheMDTA

(sorry, I said MTA earlier, its MDTA. MTA is mass transit. MDTA is roads and bridges)

Edit: Coming from DE, if it were me, I'd leave a bit early and going up and over to I-95 in Newark. The reopened the Bay Bridge for now, but that bridge can be terrifying with trucks on a good day. Plus, it'll be cheaper than the Bay Bridge toll since you will just have to pay the tunnel at Ft. McHenry, which is cheaper than the Bay Bridge. The Susquehanna bridge toll is north only.

The bridge over the Susquehanna is currently closed because 2 tractor trailers blew onto their sides. Under wind restrictions.

OP, you can check traffic conditions on http://www.chart.state.md.us/incidents/index.php

The bridge over the Susquehanna is currently closed because 2 tractor trailers blew onto their sides. Under wind restrictions.

OP, you can check traffic conditions on http://www.chart.state.md.us/incidents/index.php

Yeah, its pretty crazy. I must admit, I got Hatem and Tidings mixed up (silly, since I use to live up there).

Picture here:

Also, you can call 1-877-BAYSPAN (229-7726)

Edited by rubytue
can't embedd a tweet here

I just received this email:

logo_hero.png ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

March 3, 2018

Dear Guest:

Along with our Chief Meteorologist, James Van Fleet, we have been carefully monitoring the storms along the East Coast to determine the impact to your Grandeur of the Seas, March 3rd sailing. Currently, it is too soon to tell, but please know your safety and comfort is our top priority and we will keep you abreast of any changes to your itinerary.

To that end, we will provide you with another update at 9:00 AM Eastern Standard Time. Thank you for your patience and understanding as we continue to track this storm and work to make the most sensible and safe decisions.

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International

Good luck to all involved. James Van Fleet, RCI's meteorologist, kept insisting that Liberty would have a "window" to dock on Aug. 27 last year during hurricane Harvey. . Needless to say, he was dead wrong!

According to a post on the other thread, the Captain announced that the USCG will not allow them to dock until 6:30 AM due to the winds and that they are still on schedule to get there by then. At 10 kts, that sounds reasonable.