How long to get through customs/immigration/baggage claim in Venice?

iujen94

Hi! We are flying into Marco Polo airport in Venice in mid-June, landing on a Friday morning at 9:15am. We are US citizens and will be arriving on a non-stop flight from Philadelphia. Recognizing that conditions may be different day-to-day, roughly how long would you guess it will take us to get through customs, immigration and baggage claim?

Thanks!

How long is a piece of string? This is impossible to tell, it depends on who has landed first or whether you are selected for further checks. You could be a few minutes or a couple of hours, Venice Marco Polo is not known as the most efficient airport in Europe or even Italy.

Hi! We are flying into Marco Polo airport in Venice in mid-June, landing on a Friday morning at 9:15am. We are US citizens and will be arriving on a non-stop flight from Philadelphia. Recognizing that conditions may be different day-to-day, roughly how long would you guess it will take us to get through customs, immigration and baggage claim?

Thanks!

Glad you asked this because we are flying there in October. But I think we will fly in days early.

Thanks!

Too us around 2 hours in May . Mid June should not be any better.

I found Venice to be a beautiful and magical place. I found the Venice airport to be a bit of a disaster.. just sayin' !!! Don't get your hopes up for a smooth airport experience.

We would call your statement a "polite understatement." We have found Marco Polo airport to be among the worst in the Western world :(. But other then that its a nice place :).

Hank

• 2 weeks later...
We would call your statement a "polite understatement." We have found Marco Polo airport to be among the worst in the Western world :(. But other then that its a nice place :).

Hank

I'm with Hank.

Love Venice !, but Marco Polo well thats pure unorganized chaos especially when leaving. Int'l flights to the US fair out better but intra Europe when airlines share counters is a mess. Gate check in only opens 2, 2 1/2 ours prior and then its a bit of a free for all as no one know what counter they will be using. Thousands of passengers standing around with very limited seating. Then of course you barely have sufficient time for security after check in. In the end of course still worth it all. :-)

I'd budget an hour but it could be more or less. If you're sitting near the front of the plane and get into the Passport control line faster, it will go faster but you still may wait a bit for your luggage.

Our flight stops in Madrid before final destination in Venice. As US Citizens, will we go through Passport Control in Venice again?

Also, your comment regarding baggage claim. Does this mean even if we get through passport control relatively quickly, we will have a nice wait for our luggage?

Thanks!

Thanks!

We've been on this flight and were on the cruise line bus in under an hour. As has been said, what happens on one day is what happens on that day. No guarantee about other days.

We've been on this flight and were on the cruise line bus in under an hour. As has been said, what happens on one day is what happens on that day. No guarantee about other days.

Thank you! And yes, I fully understand what happens one day does not mean it's the same for another. I was just setting expectations for myself. We are flying in one day before the cruise.