Being the Cheap idiot I am cost me!!!!!

I booked a Regular Ocean View Balcony for my HOS July 14th sailing and now want to upgrade to Large Balcony. I've been checking and checking daily hoping for something close to my original rate but no luck. The difference is about $200 from my 6D cat to the 2C if booked today but because of my rate when booked it would cost over $700 to gain 30 sq. ft. of Balcony space which I'm definitely too cheap to shell out. I've called and stated my case about how a $200 value would cost me $700 but they won't budge. I guess I will have to keep checking unless the Cruise Critic minds have knowledge of something else I can do. Thanks

That's the way it is. It has no bearing on what the cabin is selling for now only what you paid vs the current price.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Forums mobile app

Yup makes absolutely no sense because they don't lose $$$ but there policy so will have to live with it.

Yup makes absolutely no sense because they don't lose $$$ but there policy so will have to live with it.

No dude, it makes perfect sense. You got your current stateroom for LESS than it is now selling for, and you somehow think you should be able to upgrade to a nicer room for the current difference? That makes no sense to anyone buy you.

No dude, it makes perfect sense. You got your current stateroom for LESS than it is now selling for, and you somehow think you should be able to upgrade to a nicer room for the current difference? That makes no sense to anyone buy you.

It's simple Math. They get my cabin that sells for $3500 plus the $200 that is the current difference between Categories equals $3700. How are they losing $$$. I'm not great at math but the bottom dollar is the same.

They aren't losing money, but they aren't making as much money as they should be under current pricing. They gave you a deal before, but that deal has expired.

Put another way - if something's on sale this week at the store, and you go down to the store and buy it, and then you wait a few weeks and exchange it to get something better, you wouldn't expect the store to apply the full price of the first thing to your credit on the upgraded thing, therefore giving you a discount on the upgraded thing.

But that's what you're asking Royal to do.

They aren't losing money, but they aren't making as much money as they should be under current pricing. They gave you a deal before, but that deal has expired.

Put another way - if something's on sale this week at the store, and you go down to the store and buy it, and then you wait a few weeks and exchange it to get something better, you wouldn't expect the store to apply the full price of the first thing to your credit on the upgraded thing, therefore giving you a discount on the upgraded thing.

But that's what you're asking Royal to do.

But I'm not getting the product until July 14th I'm not leaving the store with it. Bottom line they sell my cabin for 3500 today which I got for 2800 back then they still make back the $$$

But I'm not getting the product until July 14th I'm not leaving the store with it. Bottom line they sell my cabin for 3500 today which I got for 2800 back then they still make back the $$$

And how do you know that your old cabin will sell today at the higher price?

It may very well stay in inventory and need to be sold at last minute prices or at the guarantee rate.

Modify my point to include the phrase "on layaway" then. ;)

I did say in the OP that it’s my fault not blaming RCCL. I just would put the $$$ in the bank now if I owned the business as long as I am not losing in the long run. They wouldn’t in this case because they would be putting another Bakcony cabin in there inventory plus $200 in the bank.

Who says that the room you currently have would sell at todays rate. That room could stay unsold or be sold for less than what you paid for it.

Who says the larger Balcony cabin will sell.

But you want them to pass on the chance to sell the other cabin for 3,700 and ostensibly give it to you for 3,000. Your logic is flawed.

Just keep checking. We booked our April 7th cruise on Harmony after the final pay period. Price went down so we weren't able to get refund, but we were able to upgrade from a 10th deck room at the back of the ship with regular balcony, to a deck 8 room with large balcony without having to pay the difference. Just keep watching for prices to go down as you get closer, and then when you see that they do, just call and ask them to move you.

But you want them to pass on the chance to sell the other cabin for 3,700 and ostensibly give it to you for 3,000. Your logic is flawed.

But what’s the difference of having a chance to sell my current cabin for 3,500 plus putting $200 of guaranteed money in bank for this sailing. So we will agree to disagree. There a tons of the large balconies still available. I would understand if there was only a few left. But I went on royal uk site and there are a lot more of these 2c. Again I’m just disagreeing with the fact that they are losing $$$ if they upgrade me for the current value of the upgrade. It’s my fault as I stated in the beginning.

Just keep checking. We booked our April 7th cruise on Harmony after the final pay period. Price went down so we weren't able to get refund, but we were able to upgrade from a 10th deck room at the back of the ship with regular balcony, to a deck 8 room with large balcony without having to pay the difference. Just keep watching for prices to go down as you get closer, and then when you see that they do, just call and ask them to move you.

Thank you for the post. I will do that and hopefully I get as lucky as you were. Enjoy your cruise

But what’s the difference of having a chance to sell my current cabin for 3,500 plus putting $200 of guaranteed money in bank for this sailing.

Because you are asking them to take a gamble for $200. But they don't want to take that gamble for less than $700. Sorry.

But you got a good deal when you booked. Would you have booked your current cabin at $3500?

Because you are asking them to take a gamble for $200. But they don't want to take that gamble for less than $700. Sorry.

But you got a good deal when you booked. Would you have booked your current cabin at $3500?

Exactly..... Sounds like OP got a pretty good deal.... RCL isn't going to use today's rates on the cabin category he is in to adjust...They will adjust from the rate he paid originally... Its RCL initiative/control if they want to offer you a upgrade at an attractive price.... They call the shots lol

Sorry I don’t see a gamble and in fact I would guess that my cabin would sell before the Larger Balcony cabins after seeing what’s still available. Probably would pay the 3,500 unless I knew of the lesser rates ahead of time. I’m shocked about how many total cabins are still left.

I booked a Regular Ocean View Balcony for my HOS July 14th sailing and now want to upgrade to Large Balcony. I've been checking and checking daily hoping for something close to my original rate but no luck. The difference is about $200 from my 6D cat to the 2C if booked today but because of my rate when booked it would cost over $700 to gain 30 sq. ft. of Balcony space which I'm definitely too cheap to shell out. I've called and stated my case about how a $200 value would cost me $700 but they won't budge. I guess I will have to keep checking unless the Cruise Critic minds have knowledge of something else I can do. Thanks

Maybe, wait to closer to sail date and the price of the larger balcony will come down.

Sorry I don’t see a gamble and in fact I would guess that my cabin would sell before the Larger Balcony cabins after seeing what’s still available. Probably would pay the 3,500 unless I knew of the lesser rates ahead of time. I’m shocked about how many total cabins are still left.

You keep "guessing" and predicting. Do you realize that RCI employs an entire division of people to do that for a living? They don't arbitrarily set the price of a cabin for a cruise. They constantly look at a ton of data based on historical trends, weather, current sales, and more than we could imagine. This is all done to maximize the revenue generation of every sailing.

I get that you want a good deal. But to think you have a better idea of how they could make money than they do is dubious at best. When you pair it with the fact that your idea just happens to save you $500, and it's patently absurd.

You keep "guessing" and predicting. Do you realize that RCI employs an entire division of people to do that for a living? They don't arbitrarily set the price of a cabin for a cruise. They constantly look at a ton of data based on historical trends, weather, current sales, and more than we could imagine. This is all done to maximize the revenue generation of every sailing.

I get that you want a good deal. But to think you have a better idea of how they could make money than they do is dubious at best. When you pair it with the fact that your idea just happens to save you $500, and it's patently absurd.

I just don’t want to pay $700 for a $200 upgrade value. That’s it. So I passed and blamed myself for not shelling out the $200 in the beginning end of story. I wanted to know if anyone knew anything else to do. You are the one that started with a worthless negative post. Thanks for nothing

I just don’t want to pay $700 for a $200 upgrade value. That’s it. So I passed and blamed myself for not shelling out the $200 in the beginning end of story. I wanted to know if anyone knew anything else to do. You are the one that started with a worthless negative post. Thanks for nothing

I'm sorry you seem to only want to hear the opinion of people who agree with you. Particularly as they seem to be few and far between on this topic. Honestly, I don't think I've every heard of what you want happening. If you want to upgrade, you pay the difference- the difference between what you paid, and the current price of the upgraded accommodation. It's that simple.

I just don’t want to pay $700 for a $200 upgrade value. That’s it. So I passed and blamed myself for not shelling out the $200 in the beginning end of story.

Out of curiosity, was the larger balcony rooms pricing at $200 more when you did your initial booking?