Water temperature in late December into early January

neyrey81

I am going to the Eastern Caribbean at the end of the year, will we be able to snorkel at any of the ports without a wetsuit? We are going to the Dominican Republic, St. Thomas, San Juan and Puerto Rico.

In the ACTUAL Caribbean Sea, the water temps don't vary much throughout the year. You won't need a wet suit! It hovers with in about 3 degrees of 80F all year round.

If you go to the Bahamas or Bermuda, that's the Atlantic Ocean, and yes, it's going to be chilly in the water, unless you're from Maine or Canada!

I am sure the water will be fine.

This thread reminds me of the time our snorkel was cancelled in Cabo in mid August. Carnival told us lots of US folk cancelled as they were worried about cold water.

My husband and I looked at each other with surprise being typical Brit types.

Then again I did swim in the North Sea in May so maybe I'm a bit nutty.

And it counts on where you usually go into the ocean. A lot of the East coast has much warmer water (Gulf Stream) than the West Coast. Growing up in Southern California, I was used to cold water even in the summer (in the 60's if you are lucky), and was totally SHOCKED by the bathtub warmth of water in Hawaii and the Caribbean. In some cases, it's what you are used to or expecting.

?..If you go to the Bahamas or Bermuda, that's the Atlantic Ocean, and yes, it's going to be chilly in the water, unless you're from Maine or Canada!

Or New Hampsha!;)

Caribbean should be fine any time, Bahamas may be a little cool for you depending on where you are from.

We just got back from a Feb/March Bahamas trip and the water was fine. I wore a rash guard for snorkeling, but that was as much for sun protection.

I read several reports about how cold the water was so I was concerned a little at our first stop (Princess Cay). The water was cool, but I wouldn't say cold. It may be a little uncomfortable getting in, but once you are wet you should be fine.

We've snorkeled all over the Caribbean in December (mostly) and January without a wet suit. We've had a few days where the air temp is a little cool but once in the water we were fine. The Bahamas may be too cool and I think the Eastern Caribbean islands are cooler than western or southern routes. But we have swam in all these places at those times of year.

I hate cold water, btw, and seldom swim in our lake until July; I've never not been able to swim in the Caribbean; at times it is slightly cool when entering the water but good once in.