Can someone explain the benefit of the medallion to me as the customer?

kywildcatfanone

This thread reminds me of watching Downton Abbey. Electric lights? Whatever for? Telephone? Wireless? Gramaphone? All useless frivolity. Nothing but a fad.

People said there was no reason for "talkies". Why in the world would anybody need to hear the actors speak? Darn cars... Get a horse. Times change.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."

Thomas Watson, president of IBM, 1943

"Television won't be able to hold on to any market it captures after the first six months. People will soon get tired of staring at a plywood box every night."

Darryl Zanuck, executive at 20th Century Fox, 1946

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."

Ken Olsen, founder of Digital Equipment Corporation, 1977

"Almost all of the many predictions now being made about 1996 hinge on the Internet's continuing exponential growth. But I predict the Internet will soon go spectacularly supernova and in 1996 catastrophically collapse."

Robert Metcalfe, founder of 3Com, 1995

Sorry if this has been asked I didn't read all 7 pages. Do you buy the medallion if you want it other wise you get a card? I do not see any benefit in having this for me and I am not worried about them tracking me.

Until the Medallion, you had a cruise card.

Princess' goal is to replace the cruise card with the Medallion. You do not get charged for receiving the Medallion.

While doing the initial (partial) implementation on the Regal those with the Medallion have also been given a cruise card since the Medallion technology has yet to be proven reliable.

Once the Medallion technology really works, the intent is to have just the Medallion although Princess has said in the past a passenger could opt out of the Medallion and get a cruise card instead. Whether or not that promise will be kept is yet o be seen.

This thread reminds me of watching Downton Abbey. Electric lights? Whatever for? Telephone? Wireless? Gramaphone? All useless frivolity. Nothing but a fad.

People said there was no reason for "talkies". Why in the world would anybody need to hear the actors speak? Darn cars... Get a horse. Times change.

"Television won't be able to hold on to any market it captures after the first six months. People will soon get tired of staring at a plywood box every night."

"Almost all of the many predictions now being made about 1996 hinge on the Internet's continuing exponential growth. But I predict the Internet will soon go spectacularly supernova and in 1996 catastrophically collapse."

:pLOL. I would believe this if the medallion had anywhere near the same importance to the general public as automobiles, electric lights, home computers, or televisions.

This is a device marketed to a limited number of cruise passengers. It affects less than 1 % of the world's population - way less. It is neither impressive nor intimidating. I guess it is a labor-saving device in that it serves as a contactless device to unlock the door, like the key fob for a car.

It uses RFID technology, or NFC ( near field communications) technology.

The technology generally is useful and important to the general public, but the medallion itself has no useful application to anyone other than a limited number of cruise passengers and the cruise line who can create a database of passengers' shopping habits.

I think that Princess created a problem for themselves when they marketed a door-unlocking key fob as the "Ocean Medallion Experience", making the medallion sound like some kind of consciousness-raising, mind-blowing device, something so awesome as to create spiritual enlightenment in any passenger blessed enough to use it. The marketing was way, way over-hyped. Someone from the 1960's, a veteran of "happenings" must have written that ad copy.:p

- EBC

Edited by EastBay Cruisers

"I believe OS/2 is destined to be the most important operating system, and possibly program, of all time."

Bill Gates, November 1987

Actually, that was me who said that.:)

I also am pretty sure that the SmartPhone is the perfect solution for which there is no problem.

But, no, I really don't want to replace the plastic card key in my pocket with a brass key. I guess I should have added a "tongue in cheek" emoji to my last post.

Let me reiterate something. Many people have complained that the medallion gives Princess the ability to accumulate massive amounts of data on the purchases of their customers. The obvious goal of the accumulation of these data is to develop targeting marketing strategies. Yes, this will fill your cabin mailbox with paper, It will also, probably, add more paper to your residence mailbox, and it will also add more entries to your email in-box.

However, as has been reported multiple times in this and other discussions, this collection of passengers' purchase history has been going on for years. At the end of every cruise a printed report is left in the mailbox of every cabin. This report itemizes every purchase by every key holder assigned to that cabin.

They have the data already. They are just not saving it and using it,

There is nothing inherent to the magnetic key card that prevents them from taking that file that is used to print the folio and passing it over to a giant history file that can be mined to customize future marketing initiatives, Similarly, there is nothing magical about the medallion that allows them to use the data that they have collected in a new way.

Princess has joined the 21st Century and decided that these data can be used to increase future sales. I, for one, cannot argue with them,

I have reported that in my own case I plan to leave my mobile phone in the cabin safe while I'm on my cruise. However, I might, very well, use the room TV to make a restaurant reservation, or to order room service. (I agree that if Princess were so inclined, they could do this without deploying the medallions.) So, even though I am, very much, tech averse (I take a newspaper to the coffee shop every day.), there are new features in the medallion system that I will, more than likely, use on my first cruise with it.

If they see that I have a 7:00 dinner reservation some evening and deliver a coupon offering me $10 off on a bottle of Tignanello, I might, very well, go for it, If I am taking my own wine to dinner that night, it is pretty easy for me to discard their mailing,

For the sake of argument, though, let's say that I just use the medallion the same way I currently use the key card:

• I get scanned when I board or leave the ship.
  • I open my cabin door.
  • I dine in a specialty restaurant.
  • I order a bottle of wine with dinner.
  • I buy Tums in the ship store,

Even though an am not sold on the beneficence of any corporation, I would have to conclude that I will, in fact, benefit if Princess becomes more efficient, can control costs and can increase revenues,

The one aspect I absolutely hate is that they can track where you are on the ship. Nobody's business but my own.

...except when you're holding up the SOLAS brief or you're doing B2B and they're

trying to zero the ship. That said, get a RFID-blocking wallet/handbag/bag but then

don't dare be late for the safety briefing ;)

The thing that bugs me is that it reportedly enables the lights in your stateroom,

hence the sensor in the head. (and which would defeat the RFID idea)

Actually, that was me who said that.:)

I also am pretty sure that the SmartPhone is the perfect solution for which there is no problem.

But, no, I really don't want to replace the plastic card key in my pocket with a brass key. I guess I should have added a "tongue in cheek" emoji to my last post.

Let me reiterate something. Many people have complained that the medallion gives Princess the ability to accumulate massive amounts of data on the purchases of their customers. The obvious goal of the accumulation of these data is to develop targeting marketing strategies. Yes, this will fill your cabin mailbox with paper, It will also, probably, add more paper to your residence mailbox, and it will also add more entries to your email in-box.

However, as has been reported multiple times in this and other discussions, this collection of passengers' purchase history has been going on for years. At the end of every cruise a printed report is left in the mailbox of every cabin. This report itemizes every purchase by every key holder assigned to that cabin.

They have the data already. They are just not saving it and using it,

There is nothing inherent to the magnetic key card that prevents them from taking that file that is used to print the folio and passing it over to a giant history file that can be mined to customize future marketing initiatives, Similarly, there is nothing magical about the medallion that allows them to use the data that they have collected in a new way.

Princess has joined the 21st Century and decided that these data can be used to increase future sales. I, for one, cannot argue with them,

I have reported that in my own case I plan to leave my mobile phone in the cabin safe while I'm on my cruise. However, I might, very well, use the room TV to make a restaurant reservation, or to order room service. (I agree that if Princess were so inclined, they could do this without deploying the medallions.) So, even though I am, very much, tech averse (I take a newspaper to the coffee shop every day.), there are new features in the medallion system that I will, more than likely, use on my first cruise with it.

If they see that I have a 7:00 dinner reservation some evening and deliver a coupon offering me $10 off on a bottle of Tignanello, I might, very well, go for it, If I am taking my own wine to dinner that night, it is pretty easy for me to discard their mailing,

For the sake of argument, though, let's say that I just use the medallion the same way I currently use the key card:

• I get scanned when I board or leave the ship.
  • I open my cabin door.
  • I dine in a specialty restaurant.
  • I order a bottle of wine with dinner.
  • I buy Tums in the ship store,

Even though an am not sold on the beneficence of any corporation, I would have to conclude that I will, in fact, benefit if Princess becomes more efficient, can control costs and can increase revenues,

There you go, using common sense and thinking...how dare you do such an audacious thing in a CC message thread! :eek: You should really be ashamed of yourself for doing such things as that.

I'm really amazed at some of the things that people come up with and attribute to the medallion. To think that someone might actually believe that there might be someone sitting in some room somewhere on the ship staring at a screen and finding someone has been in a bathroom somewhere for the past 45 minutes is just amazing to me.

Oh, well....

Tom

My question still lies in them sending 3000+ medallions out by the mail...What?...whose idea was that???? Just give us our medallions at the terminal, let us get the feel of using them to open our cabin, etc......then they can add all the bells and whistles.

And again why not start this on a new build...I just don't get it......?

...except when you're holding up the SOLAS brief or you're doing B2B and they're

trying to zero the ship. That said, get a RFID-blocking wallet/handbag/bag but then

don't dare be late for the safety briefing ;)

The thing that bugs me is that it reportedly enables the lights in your stateroom,

hence the sensor in the head. (and which would defeat the RFID idea)

We had medallions in our room and never had a problem with lights going off or anything of the sort. Don't know where that story got started. Never heard anybody else complain about it either.

Tom

My question still lies in them sending 3000+ medallions out by the mail...What?...whose idea was that???? Just give us our medallions at the terminal, let us get the feel of using them to open our cabin, etc......then they can add all the bells and whistles.

I would guess it will be used to board the ship and bypass check-in at some point, if that is not already the case. This will reduce the number of employees needed for check-in and should reduce the waits / lines to board.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had medallions in our room and never had a problem with lights going off or anything of the sort. Don't know where that story got started. Never heard anybody else complain about it either.

Tom

Yep. But, then, you had your medallions with you.

I was discussing putting your medallions in an RFID-proof bag to defeat

the onboard tracking that bugged memoak (and tracked that you were

in or near your stateroom).

Edited by Haboob
Deleted superfuous line-feed

And again why not start this on a new build...I just don't get it......?

Because if they wait till you're at the terminal, check in would be the same only instead of a card it's the medallion.

By mail, you get the medallion and then go online and fill outta their questionnaire which will include emailing them a picture of current photo ID/passport to link to the medallion. Then check in is eliminated and you just walk right on without any wait once loading begins.

Because if they wait till you're at the terminal, check in would be the same only instead of a card it's the medallion.

By mail, you get the medallion and then go online and fill outta their questionnaire which will include emailing them a picture of current photo ID/passport to link to the medallion. Then check in is eliminated and you just walk right on without any wait once loading begins.

The only thing is that your photo id could be eight year old... so a like the idea of them taking a current photo you as you board... as you are wearing glasses and we current hair style

Cheers Don

Tom

Yep. But you had your medallions with you so the ship's internal tracking

had you in or near your stateroom.

I was talking about memoak putting the medallions in a RFID-proof bag to

defeat the tracking since it was bugging them.

BTW, I've been told the ship only turns off the lights, not the power plugs

so your stuff still recharges in your dark stateroom.

Curious as to what happens with the health question form that you normally have to fill out & turn in at check in when you have the medallion?

Tom🤔

On our cruise it was filled out on a tablet on the pier in the check-in area. Everybody went through the same check-in area just different sections. I don't remember how the document was "signed" though.

Tom

The only thing is that your photo id could be eight year old... so a like the idea of them taking a current photo you as you board... as you are wearing glasses and we current hair style

They will still take a current photo of you as you board. What they want in advance is what you would present at a check-in counter.

However, sending that in in advance does not tell me how they know the person actually has that passport/ID with them when they embark. Seems to me that they would still need to physically inspect it before you can embark.

Let me reiterate something. Many people have complained that the medallion gives Princess the ability to accumulate massive amounts of data on the purchases of their customers. The obvious goal of the accumulation of these data is to develop targeting marketing strategies. Yes, this will fill your cabin mailbox with paper, It will also, probably, add more paper to your residence mailbox, and it will also add more entries to your email in-box. More paper in your mailbox will never happen. In fact, there will be much less. Why? When they install the screen outside your cabin, they take away the mailbox.

They have the data already. They are just not saving it and using it. The ***** means also collecting much different types of data. For example, how many times you went into a shop and walked out without making a purchase. Or how much time passengers spend in Skywalkers. etc.

see above in red

It uses RFID technology, or NFC ( near field communications) technology.

The technology generally is useful and important to the general public, but the medallion itself has no useful application to anyone other than a limited number of cruise passengers and the cruise line who can create a database of passengers' shopping habits.

They marketing for the ***** said that your door would unlock as you approached it. NFC would be great for that.

In practice so far, you must place the ***** right next to the screen to unlock your door. Guess this requires VNFC (very near field communications).

However, sending that in in advance does not tell me how they know the person actually has that passport/ID with them when they embark. Seems to me that they would still need to physically inspect it before you can embark.

They will probably use a kiosk similar to what Vancouver has at Immigration. Just scan your passport, get a receipt and give it to them when you board or better yet, the scan is linked to your medallion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums