Tropical Cyclone Hola

I’m currently on the Explorer of the Seas and the sea is a bit rough! Missed out on going to Nouméa today but it was pouring down with rain anyway so it would’ve been a miserable day. Captain said the winds at the port were around 50 knots and he could not safely dock at the port with such strong winds. There were no other ports which were not affected by Cyclone Hola so the only option left was to turn around and go back to Sydney.

I’m currently on the Explorer of the Seas and the sea is a bit rough! Missed out on going to Nouméa today but it was pouring down with rain anyway so it would’ve been a miserable day. Captain said the winds at the port were around 50 knots and he could not safely dock at the port with such strong winds. There were no other ports which were not affected by Cyclone Hola so the only option left was to turn around and go back to Sydney.

A shame for you to miss the ports but safety must come first, hope you enjoy the ride and it doesn't get too bad.

I'm on Explorer of the Seas too. We are still experiencing very windy conditions and the sea is quite choppy. The pool was closed and emptied yesterday and still is today but other than that, I have to say that this ship handles the swell really really well.

I know this current storm will move on quickly, but have our fingers crossed for the locals, and also hoping for good conditions for our Fiji/Lifou/Noumea cruise departing in 19 days.

Stay safe everyone.

Agreed, and I am sure your cruise will be fine.:D

Sun Princess left Wellington yesterday and was scheduled Napier, Tauranga, Auckland.

Marinetraffic shows now sailing via the west coast, destination still Auckland.

Thats an unusual move. Must be trying to miss the cyclone ,but to be in Auckland on Tuesday she will have to be off North Cape ,or vicinity on Monday and thats when Hola is predicted to come through.

Lets hope its downgraded by then.

Thats an unusual move. Must be trying to miss the cyclone ,but to be in Auckland on Tuesday she will have to be off North Cape ,or vicinity on Monday and thats when Hola is predicted to come through.

Lets hope its downgraded by then.

It looks more like she's heading back across the Tasman than up the coast and round to Auckland.

Strange, Perhaps setting up for an miss port if the storm doesn't weaken and start heading west instead.

I agree - this route provides the option to divert away fron UnZud if necessary. East coast allows limited opportunities to avoid the cyclone.

Not sure which is better though.

Manukau Harbour is fairly shallow, with lots of sandbanks. I think the entrance is a bit tricky too.

Manukau Harbour is only accessible to small coastal ships and the entrance has a very dangerous and ever shifting sandbar.

Re the Suns position , perhaps the Captains doing a yachting tack?

Manukau Harbour is only accessible to small coastal ships and the entrance has a very dangerous and ever shifting sandbar.

Re the Suns position , perhaps the Captains doing a yachting tack?

Finding the smoothest seas for the comfort of the passengers using the land as a buffer.