Doctor

terrileeper

My greatest fear with cruising is having to be evacuated to a foreign port hospital. It just scares the you know what out of me.

this is why we travel with a passport and travel insurance. We would never leave U.S. soil without a passport, necessary or not

I have read posts here in the past which claimed sea sickness pills were provided at the infirmary at no cost.

Also, if you catch the norovirus, I have heard the doctor will treat that at no cost. The downside is the person is confined to the cabin for possibly several days.

This is an interesting thread for me, as a dual US/Canadian citizen who resides in Canada for the past 20 years.

I have grown accustomed to visiting either the ER or Doctor for no out of pocket cost. (Yes, my taxes more than pay for it)

Reading the opinions of how "reasonable" a $300-$600 bill is for a visit to the doctor and some simple treatments seems crazy to me. Obviously, I have lost touch with the cost of medical care in the US. I consider myself very lucky for that.

On another note, I am totally freaked out with the prospect of having to visit the infirmary when I cruise later this year! That bill would shock the heck out of me! And yes, insurance will be purchased just in case...but as other posters have said...you still have to pony up the money at the time!

Also, if you catch the norovirus, I have heard the doctor will treat that at no cost. The downside is the person is confined to the cabin for possibly several days.

The upside is with the infected persons confined to their cabins the virus spread will likely be reduced.

I developed shingles on a cruise and I went to the doctor onboard. He checked me out and gave me meds.

The charge for the doctor and meds seemed fair to me and when I got home, I submitted the documents to the cruise insurance and was totally reimbursed as my insurance didn't cover me outside the USA.

I won't travel without insurance, but that's another thread.

Not on Carnival but on the Star Princess: In Dec 2016, my wife tripped down a couple of steps. She was in pain in her backside. An office visit to the ship's doctor, a couple of x-rays and some meds set us back just under $500. When we got to Honolulu, I took my wife to a local hospital (a member of our health plan) and we saw

a doc there who praised the level of care she had received onboard.

When we returned home to LA, I filed for reimbursement of our out of pocket expenses onboard as our health plan covers us wherever we travel around the world. We were reimbursed in full (less $45 which is what we would have paid locally for the office visit, x-rays and meds). Interesting enough, our Honolulu hospital visit and care/meds my wife received there, we were never billed for those! Go figure.

I have grown accustomed to visiting either the ER or Doctor for no out of pocket cost. (Yes, my taxes more than pay for it)

Reading the opinions of how "reasonable" a $300-$600 bill is for a visit to the doctor and some simple treatments seems crazy to me. Obviously, I have lost touch with the cost of medical care in the US. I consider myself very lucky for that.

Yeah, you are not the only one who is out of touch. Lots of Americans have been told Canadians have long waits for substandard care. You and I know that is bunk, but politicians here seem intent on keeping the cost of care high.

Indeed, for us a $500 charge for an ER visit is cheap. A simple CAT scan is $4,000 here (but likely unavailable at any price on a cruise ship.)

This is a very interesting thread, lots of positive feedback on the medical care. My boat partner is Canadian and laughs at the American's thoughts on the Canadian Health Care. He says he has a GP, cardiologists, and orthopedist and is not on any wait list.

I spent about 24 hours in the infirmary on the Pride about a year ago. Excellent doctors and nurses. I had chest X Rays, blood work every few hours, oxygen, constant monitoring, breathing treatments, antibiotics, and I don't remember what else. It was a little over $1000.00 and Allianz travel insurance reimbursed me very penny of it.

Just keep in mind that while people have had various success with getting reimbursed by insurance companies, that any med bills on the ship must be paid in full before you disembark, whether it’s hundreds or thousands. So just make sure you have access to a high limit credit card just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is worrisome. I understand needing to be prepared but what if you just don't have it in your budget to pay for something like that upfront if you are in a medical emergency on the ship? Even the insurance doesn't do anything but reimburse what you already had to pay which isn't helpful for someone who may not have thousands to pay up front. Anyone ever run into that problem?

As someone mentioned earlier, your bill must be paid in full prior to get off the ship. This is one reason why we NEVER use a debit card for our sign and sail card. Even with insurance it will take a bit to get your money back. I much rather it go onto a credit card vs. coming out of my checking account.

My greatest fear with cruising is having to be evacuated to a foreign port hospital. It just scares the you know what out of me.

Years ago my "healthy" dd then 17 woke up with fever, abdominal pains, etc. Brought her to the Dream's infirmary where they did blood work, and her white count was crazy high. She and I were tendered to Belize, where we stayed 3 days in the hospital there. (Carnival gave my dh a carryon suitcase to pack some clothes, etc. for us, which they tendered over with the port representative before the ship left port.) The ship's Dr. bill was $90 - the Belize hospital bill was $5,000, which had to be paid in "advance." (please always make sure you have a credit card cleared for use out of the U.S.- we did!) The care on the ship and at the Belize (private) hospital was fantastic. We were re-imbursed through UHC bluecross/blue shield for some expenses, and our travel insurance picked up the rest. (food, airfare back to Miami, hotel, etc.) I think we were out $5 when all was said and done. Carnival called a few times when we were back in the U.S. to make sure she was okay. Great customer service!

We just got off the Ecstasy and had to use the infirmary that morning while guests were leaving.... without them we would not have been able to travel. They did an excellent job stopping the vicious cycle of a bad stomach reaction (vomiting and diarrhea). Have not seen a bill yet!

The medical center is quite able to treat more than bumps and bruises and upset tummies :rolleyes: I had an acute attack of diverticulits onboard ...bloodwork was done and I was given antibiotics. Maybe a heart attack is beyond their capability to treat in full, but the medical center can do much more than put a band-aid on your boo-boo as a certain poster repeatedly proclaims. I wonder if she has actually ever been to a medical facility on a cruise ship ?

From Carnival's FAQ:

Ship’s physicians meet or exceed the credentialing guidelines established by the cruise ship medicine section of the american college of emergency physicians (acep). In addition, doctors must demonstrate competent skill levels and hold current certification in basic and advanced cardiac life support and cardiac care, have experience in general medicine or general practice including emergency or critical care, and have one to three years clinical experience and minor surgical skills, and board or similar international certification is preferred. The doctors on board are independent contractors.

Shipboard medical facilities are set up to provide reasonable emergency medical care for guests and crew. In cases of extreme emergency where more comprehensive facilities are required, patients are referred to shoreside facilities.

In addition to standard lifesaving equipment such as defibrillators and external pacemakers, our medical centers carry some of the latest in medical technology including thrombolytic therapy, electrocardiograph machines, lab equipment, pulse oximetry and x-ray machines on many of our ships.

This is a very interesting thread, lots of positive feedback on the medical care. My boat partner is Canadian and laughs at the American's thoughts on the Canadian Health Care. He says he has a GP, cardiologists, and orthopedist and is not on any wait list.

That is good to hear but I have also heard the opposite from my doctor who is a Canadian.

My youngest fell in a hole on the beach in Montego Bay. He had a bad sprain ... the nurse wrapped his ankle in an ACE wrap and let him use crutches for 2 days ... no charge. I think we were on the Magic at the time.