Deck 8 Evening Buffet Open.

ISLANDCRUSO

Mixed emotions on this..... If it means more selctions...might be a good thing. However it does make this area busier and likely noisier with more activity in the buffet sections by staff, etc. Not sure if I was assigned dinner in Marketplace I would be happy with additional constant foot traffic, more noise, etc even if its on the other side away from the dining area

My waiter told us a few nights ago that starting next week, March 17 that they will have 3 seating in Seashore. They already do this in Ipanema. They are listening the feedback and trying so very hard to please.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Forums mobile app

Having Bella in the same area as a working buffet is what MSC does on other ships on an as needed basis. The difference is that Seaside restaurants do not accommodate all passengers so the overflow is needed each night.

We need pictures of the full buffet offering on Deck 8 now. Who knows, maybe I'll get a salad bar after all :).

I posted pics of everything last night. Salad may be a bit more than before but by no means an extensive salad bar like you would get in a buffet at home. There were two types of salad, corn, carrots , cucumber, tomato, plenty of dressings and a few premixed salads, like Cesar and coleslaw.

MOM2 ... It would mean having two lots of buffet food and the cleaning afterwards, easier for them to clean 16 and then it is ready for Breakfast the following morning.

Plus it may be that they will change things back if the ship is at full capacity again like school holidays as it was at Xmas.

Deck 16 buffet is open for late night snacks. I think about 9:30. Very small but good if you want some late night pizza and thry have delicious cookies.!

You can opt for a different experience at a higher cost if you are put out by this. It isn’t as though they secretly foist this off on unsuspecting pax.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

$500 to upgrade. Chump change to many, not to me.

This is our first MSC cruise and I fully expected to be eating dinner in a MDR like the other cruise lines I have sailed with. While they weren't secretive about this it certainly wasn't made obvious to many of us either.I will remain neutral until I experience it for myself

On Divina they make all efforts to seat Bella in the dining room. The buffet overflow was a very small section. We sailed Divina once as Fantastica and once as Bella. Never sent to buffet instead of MDR.

The difference is on the Divina there are two dining rooms with capacity to accommodate guests much more easily than on Seaside. Divina the buffet seating is more of a "this could happen if we are very, very full" and on Seaside they seem to suggest it would be the same as Divina, but in practice the MDR's just aren't sized appropriately, making the buffet seating more of a de facto standard than an occasional need. I feel they were slightly disingenuous in their delivery of this.

Perhaps if, at the time, they had said no dinner MDR seating for Bella pax it may have prompted me to pay for Fantastica. But it certainly was not presented that way at all.

Truth be told, the agent on the Divina that handled our booking told us many things that have turned out to be not correct. Some of those things may be because policies have changed since then. Either way, I do hold certain expectations off of that. Like you, I expect to be eating in a dining room like other cruise lines, and like my other MSC cruises. The $120 difference at the time now seems much more reasonable than the $500 difference today.

My waiter told us a few nights ago that starting next week, March 17 that they will have 3 seating in Seashore. They already do this in Ipanema. They are listening the feedback and trying so very hard to please.

Interesting. Thank you for taking the time to post the latest info.

You can opt for a different experience at a higher cost if you are put out by this. It isn’t as though they secretly foist this off on unsuspecting pax.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am going to beg to differ here, when we booked the Seaside in December 2015 I saw no mention of the Bella passengers possibly having to dine in the buffet. It was later on that when that information was posted.

When we booked the Bella over the Fantastica, the agent with MSC didn't even suggest the Fantastica package to us. Since we receive the free drink package when we booked, it negated the vouchers for Fantastica. Agent stated if we weren't really interested in room service and didn't have kids that might do the for fee kids club activities then we didn't really have a reason to do the Fantastica or the increased cost, especially if we didn't mind the balcony location we were given. When to me we are on deck 10 near the elevators, which is a better location to me than some of the Fantastica cabins. Never did they suggest that dining in the MDR may not be an option.

What kids club activities have fees?

If you are booked with the Fantastica experience there is a cooking class for kids included . If your Bella experience you have to pay to have your children attend the class . HOWEVER , I just read a review that stated the ship is no longer providing this cooking class .

Last July our kids (who were booked in Fantastica experience ) on the Divina , attended the cooking class. They were provided a ball of dough and shown how to make gnocci. It turned into a huge flour fight with the kids club staff leading the war ! What a fiasco ! Anyhow , following the gnocci making instructions they served the kids gnocci and sauce . ( not the gnocci that the kids made !) Also the kids received a Chef Certificate .

What kids club activities have fees?

Below are the perks to the Fantastica over the Bella, which was the reason we didn't book the Fantastica. Note the experience sheet still has no mention of possible buffet placement.

Recreational activities for children: foreign language learning games and Doremi Chef cooking sessions with our onboard staff (subject to availability) - these are listed as perks of the Fantastica - notice if I don't have children this perk isn't of value to me.

50% discount on fitness classes and personal trainer (subject to availability & for adults only) - another perk of Fantastica of no value as I don't pay for fitness classes nor a personal trainer.

Opportunity to book a SuperFamily staterooms for the whole family (available on select ships) - again not relevant since we had no children

Fantastica Drink Package: 12 beverage vouchers per person (Can be used in bars, restaurants and buffet and includes wine by the glass, non premium spirits and cocktails, soft drinks, mineral water, hot drinks and gelato. Child version available without alcohol.)* - this perk was negated by the offering of the drink package to the Bella booking.

Priority in choice of dinner seating**** - Last perk that might have meant something to us, however we like the late seating, and have pretty much never had a cruise that didn't have us at the late seating.

Just got off the Seaside. I grabbed a late night slice of pizza several nights (like at 930-1030pm) from the 16th Buffet. Wouldn’t say it was closed evenings unless you are referring to closer to midnight, in which case I was in bed.

Never said anyone else has to have a similar opinion to me, or that mine was the only right one. But it’s my opinion. Maybe it will change, maybe not. I’m not enthused so far based on the floors and decor. Does not look like an elegant cruise MDR. Looks like the fast casual restaurants you’d go to for a $10 lunch combo, or, go figure, a cruise ship buffet. It’s completely absurd to suggest a “formal” night dining room experience in that environment.

I assume your referring to Marketplace??? Based on pictures I've seen....its the most attractive looking Buffet Dining Area on any ship. Additionally it does have more ambiance like dark furniture...darker floors, oval port hole type windows....more traditional looking ceiling and lighting. If your talking Dining Rooms....they look no different than what I have experienced on many Carnival cruises and a few Princess cruises. If you want elegance (champagne and caviar) at beer cost... suggest you stop worrying and complaining and look elsewhere

Now that it has been confirmed that MSC added a third seating in the MDR (9:45 p.m.), the next logical question is, are they going to make marketplace on 8 a real dinner buffet (with a salad bar and everything lol),or are they going to keep using marketplace for overflow and offer the skewed back buffet posted last week.

Sounds like the clueless leading the useless and the crew are the ones in the firing line.

Giving someone with young children a 9.45 dining time shows a total disrespect for the customer and not one iota of common sense being used by management who it seems could not manage their way out of a paper bag.

Sounds like the clueless leading the useless and the crew are the ones in the firing line.

Giving someone with young children a 9.45 dining time shows a total disrespect for the customer and not one iota of common sense being used by management who it seems could not manage their way out of a paper bag.

I saw that too and it is unfortunate, hopefully the maitre'd was able to help them out. I do feel this could happen on any cruise line. Without knowing a lot more about the situation, what experience, when did the person book their cruise? it is hard to blame the cruise line, If they booked last minute and got a smoking deal, they may only have been waitlisted for early dining. They can't bump someone who booked a year or two ago because they don't have kids?

I saw that too and it is unfortunate, hopefully the maitre'd was able to help them out. I do feel this could happen on any cruise line. Without knowing a lot more about the situation, what experience, when did the person book their cruise? it is hard to blame the cruise line, If they booked last minute and got a smoking deal, they may only have been waitlisted for early dining. They can't bump someone who booked a year or two ago because they don't have kids?

It is irrelevant when you book your cruise on MSC or how far in advance. They employ a class system when assigning dining times and locations. If you are a Bella booking you get what's left over after all other passengers (Fantastica, Aurea) are assigned. I understood when I booked that other classes like Fantastica and Aurea received other "perks" but I had no idea I would not get a spot in a MDR or as it appears will be the case now assigned to 9:45pm spot. As I mentioned in an earlier post we will NOT be dining that late and if you are listening MSC rest assured we will also NOT be paying gratuities for dining service as we will be using the Buffet only

Can you please share any other cruise line that needs to turn over the dining room 3 times resulting in the latest seating being 9:45 p.m. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is irrelevant when you book your cruise on MSC or how far in advance. They employ a class system when assigning dining times and locations. If you are a Bella booking you get what's left over after all other passengers (Fantastica, Aurea) are assigned. I understood when I booked that other classes like Fantastica and Aurea received other "perks" but I had no idea I would not get a spot in a MDR or as it appears will be the case now assigned to 9:45pm spot. As I mentioned in an earlier post we will NOT be dining that late and if you are listening MSC rest assured we will also NOT be paying gratuities for dining service as we will be using the Buffet only

When you have are on board go and see the restaurant manager and explain the situation mention “the forum’...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Are you the person who is on board week of March 17, and have been assigned the 9:45 time? 1. If you had a CONFIRMED early reservation take it up with the maitre'd. Be polite yet firm that it is too.late to expect a child to eat dinner. They are people doing their best to accommodate and I truly believe they will help you. Is it just your family of 3 or 4 or a big group? Surely they will do something for you. 2.If you booked Bella then yes that is part of the deal for paying less, unfortunately and I am sympathetic if it seemed a rude surprise. If you were reading these boards before your cruise you may have been better prepared.

If you are not the person who has the issue your comments are not helping anyone.

Are you the person who is on board week of March 17, and have been assigned the 9:45 time? 1. If you had a CONFIRMED early reservation take it up with the maitre'd. Be polite yet firm that it is too.late to expect a child to eat dinner. They are people doing their best to accommodate and I truly believe they will help you. Is it just your family of 3 or 4 or a big group? Surely they will do something for you. 2.If you booked Bella then yes that is part of the deal for paying less, unfortunately and I am sympathetic if it seemed a rude surprise. If you were reading these boards before your cruise you may have been better prepared.

If you are not the person who has the issue your comments are not helping anyone.

Not sailing 17 March, it's just my wife and I. We booked 10 months ago and have requested early dining and are told we will be confirmed when we get onboard. No I haven't been reading these comments, if MSC was upfront with their dining assignment we not have booked this cruise. I like you am entitled to make what ever comments I choose on this forum as long as they are not offensive if you don't find them useful so be it.

Can you please share any other cruise line that needs to turn over the dining room 3 times resulting in the latest seating being 9:45 p.m. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And you are asking me why?