Dressing for Dinner

O.K. So this will be my family's first cruise. Not that I don't want to dress up for dinner, but jackets, ties , fancy dresses for the wife are all clothes at the end of the night you tell yourself you can't wait to get out of and be in something more comfortable. We've decided that myself and boys will wear a nice buttoned shirt or polo with nice jeans or khakis and a casual shoes and my wife will wear a sun dress with a sweater and her shoe of choice. There is a possibility of wearing shorts as well. We work hard all year long to pay for the cruise that we can relax and enjoy ourselves on. Please don't try to shame anyone into thinking they need to go out with a Tux or prom dress on. Dress respectably and enjoy yourself and to those who would attire shame you, just give them half of the peace sign as they do not deserve the whole thing.

My husband was one who hated wearing a suit, but he did it because that's what the cruise lines wanted. As soon as he was seated in the dining room, off came the jacket as he was too warm. After cruising for many years, he no longer wore a suit or even a sports jacket. Dress pants with a dress shirt, tie or not and dress shoes worked well for him.

On casual nights he wore dockers with a golf shirt. We then sailed on another line several times where men wore shorts to dinner every night and he thought he'd died and gone to heave. We lived in FL and it was a very casual life.

Even though his preference was golf shorts for dinner, he still wore his dress pants etc. for the elegant nights. He was very comfortable.

Last year the cruise was with extended family. Dress shirts, ties and dress shirts were worn except for one in-law who thought he was dressed up came to dinner in a golf shirt, dress pants and sneakers. Nothing was said to him by anyone and he enjoyed his dinner just as much as those who were dressed up.

I do think the days of dressing to the nines on Royal Caribbean are over as times have changed and more people cruise and care less about how they look. I have mixed feelings about the new "style" of a tee shirt, sport shorts, flip flops and a baseball hat at dinner, but no matter how I feel about it, there are going to be those who will dress as they wish and the restaurant personnel won't say much, if anything, because it may result in a complaint to headquarters etc. and the employee won't be backed up. Additionally, tips will be removed so, the dress code/or lack thereof, will continue.

when conversations about removing tips or such comes up the first thing I see is "well if you can't afford tips you shouldn't be cruising: all day long. So it applies to the $50 bag situation of packing extra bags.... of course you won't think so,:rolleyes: but it's actually true.

Now you read minds?

I have a question since there's a lot of dressy clothes expertise in this thread. Why is "jacket" considered more formal and appropriate than a dress shirt and tie? I have seen people suggestion a jacket over a polo opposed to a tie with a long sleeve dress shirt. I question the functionality of a jacket on Caribbean cruises as well. I have worked in professional settings where a tie is required but never a jacket.

Would you go to a fancy restaurant in a t-shirt and shorts? Doing so diminishes the experience and atmosphere for you and others.

IMO eating out at a fancy restaurant is a special occasion in itself and so is a cruise. It deserves appropriate clothing.

If you don't care what you look like you have options. Eat in the buffet.

I wholeheartedly disagree with the very spirit of your post. RCCL is a mainstream line. Akin to a 3 star resort hotel on land, Disney would be a good comparison as their moderate hotels reliever the same level of service as RCI currently does.

There are plenty of upscale restaurants on property, with the exception of Victoria & Alberts, casual resort wear is acceptable.

Why have you raised the bar on the product that has become pedestrian at best. Don’t make it to something it is not. 5-10 years ago. You would have a valid argument. Not any more.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

An extra $50 for clothing that's suggested and not required? It may also need to be pressed. For something doesn't affect anyone else? For a potential photo op that I may not want nor partake in?

Comment removed

Edited by rhelms

I really would like RCCL to have some dress code standards and enforce them like they used to, I think shorts are tacky , would never wear them , also baseball caps. See no reason to wear a tie, still bring my tux but most likely will retire that shortly.

Don't know where this whole suggested thing comes from? Just off the Liberty of the Seas where the Daily clearly states that shorts are not allowed in the main dining room during dinner. The question is: Do you mind breaking the rules simply because RCCL does not enforce their policy?

I know, I know, it's your vacation and you don't give a crap about the rules.

This is where the whole suggested thing comes from. See attached picture.

And I'll be wearing khaki pants and a polo but not a tux.

1439761487_cruisecompas.PNG.01b94ec890535d9f421adfb036dd8c29.PNG

Edited by soremekun

I really would like RCCL to have some dress code standards and enforce them like they used to, I think shorts are tacky , would never wear them , also baseball caps. See no reason to wear a tie, still bring my tux but most likely will retire that shortly.

I see you haven’t been to Bermuda where shorts are King

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Shirt and tie (no jacket) screams Assistant Store Manager

Sport coat and polo (no tie) looks more upscale to me. More "resort casual"

Just my opinion.

I don't think either looks exactly elegant. But, I think any polo with a jacket makes you look resort casual at the retirement home. On the other hand, no jacket and tie looks immature. If you take away the jacket and the tie, one outfit is a dress shirt and the other is a polo. Seems the dress shirt trumps the polo for dressy anyway

I have a question since there's a lot of dressy clothes expertise in this thread. Why is "jacket" considered more formal and appropriate than a dress shirt and tie? I have seen people suggestion a jacket over a polo opposed to a tie with a long sleeve dress shirt. I question the functionality of a jacket on Caribbean cruises as well. I have worked in professional settings where a tie is required but never a jacket.

Who knows? Why is a dark suit considered more "dressy" than a light suit? Why is a full length gown more dressy than a cocktail dress? Why is a skirt more dressy than pants? Why are heels more dressy than flats? I could go on.

These rules are arbitrary, just traditions, based on what I have no idea.

Who knows? Why is a dark suit considered more "dressy" than a light suit? Why is a full length gown more dressy than a cocktail dress? Why is a skirt more dressy than pants? Why are heels more dressy than flats? I could go on.

Eaxctly.

As long as it's clean I don't care what you wear.

Ok, I'm expecting to get flamed for this, so here it goes...

I am going on VACATION. I DO NOT GET DRESSED UP ON VACATION! I chose a cruise because I like the "all-inclusive" atmosphere and not staying in one place for the entire week. Another reason is one of our family members does not fly, so being able to uber to the cruise ship is KEY.

I am planning on wearing JEANS to dinner at most, unless I see a bunch of other people wearing NICE shorts. I get dresssed EVERY DAY for WORK, there should be NO reason to have to get dressed up on VACATION!

Now, I've only been on one cruise in my life, and that was on NCL (11 years ago). I do not remember how I got dressed up, but we did spend a few nights in the buffet with our then 3 year old son.

Someone please answer me this: WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO GET DRESSED UP ON VACATION????? People, please. It's not the 1920's cruising on the Titanic, you don't get dressed up in a shirt and tie to go fly in a plane like the "olden days". It's 2018, we've overcome this stigma of having to "Dress to Impress" and WHO ARE YOU TRYING TO IMPRESS????

Let the games begin!!!

No flames from me, I AGREE!! Hell , I really would like to know what the difference is between a pair of khaki shorts and a pair of khaki pants that chaps someones ass?? Really? Its vacation!!! I nice pair of khaki shorts and a nice shirt is perfect for a dinner which is not meant to be fancy anyway!! Give it a rest, and I don't care about the heat hahaha

Why do you drive on the parkway and park in the driveway?:p

Bill

Bottom line, I'm planning on wearing a pair of dressy shorts, and a long sleeve button down shirt, sleeves rolled up, pair of boat shoes to dinner, my son, the same thing (maybe a polo). This to me is comfortable. Who wants to be sitting there with tucked in shirt, uncomfortable for us "portly" people. I intend to be comfortable, look well dressed and groomed, and enjoy. On the "formal" nights, I'll throw on a pair of linen pants or khaki's, and a shirt. I completely agree that gym shorts, sweat shorts, tee shirts, tank tops, tacky flip flops, hats, bathing suits etc, should not be tolerated in the MDR, that just looks unkempt.

Maybe they should rewrite their "rules" to enforce "Dress Clothes" at the specialty dining restaurants. If you want to pay extra to eat, then maybe you should be in the company of the "formal" people...And why do people keep saying that if you want to dress down to go to the Windjammer? I call BS on that! We're paying the SAME fare to eat, sleep, party on the ship, we should all be treated the same.

Happy St Patty's Day!!!! Lets all do a shot!

I think it is fine that people are dressing as they wish on cruise. On our next with 7 grandchildren it will be much less formal. But I do miss the days where we dressed for a cruise. One of my husbands favorite parts was seeing his wife dressed to the 9s each night for him. Also sharing a table with and getting to know the strangers we were assigned to Dine with. Those days are gone forever and could not happen today on RCCL and likely not on HAL either. Heck, people were still dressing on Carnival in 1997.Even my teens we took with us did and enjoyed it. If we want that graceful cruise experience again we will have to book on a more exclusive cruise line. We are much too old for prom. And where we live, the opportunity to wear real evening dress rarely presents itself. Of course, for the relaxed atmosphere we have received trade offs in the way of new activities on board, constant selling of goods, and activities such as sauna , steam rooms and exercise classes that are all for a fee.Cruises are a different animal now. I will always remember those first cruises long ago with great fondness. But I can adapt and go with the flow. I have no desire to wear a long evening dress and put husband in a tux next to someone in shorts or jeans. We will settle for cocktail dress and sports coat, and still we will likely dress more formal than most do nightly. Less stress with the airline luggage limits. But I do miss the good old days (for me). Of course my first ideas about cruising came from my parents 3 week Cunard cruise as a child.

The rules that used to apply now do not. Shorts are now perfectly accepted in the dining room. On formal nights there are about 1/2 in sport coats or tuxes. I am old school, tux on formal night & smart casual on other nights. In my humble opinion, if you want to wear shorts to the MDR stay home & eat at McDonald's. My opinion, flame away.

Never saw this post coming :)

Who cares whos wearing what? Worry about yourself,period.