Dressing for Dinner

WOW.... things have really changed in the last few years if they allow shorts in the dining room for dinner.

I definitely want dinners to be special (which is why I bought my teenage daughters - who HATE dresses - dresses and told them they will be required to wear them)... I want us to dress up for formal nights - to me that's a huge part of what makes cruising fun! (totally agree with the McDonald's comment) I just didn't want to force my husband into a tie every single night or spend a fortune on a FULL suit unless that was expected.

Thanks for the input :D

We like to dress up for dinner. My husband rents a tux from the ship so he doesn’t have to pack a suit. I wear an evening gown on formal nights. We just took four kids from 20-26 with us on a cruise. They all dressed up every night and actually really enjoyed dinner. I wore a dress every night for dinner. I know people say they don’t like to dress up on vacation. Then don’t go the the MDR. Why does the ship need to stop enforcing their dress code for them? They have other options.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We like to dress up for dinner. My husband rents a tux from the ship so he doesn’t have to pack a suit. I wear an evening gown on formal nights. We just took four kids from 20-26 with us on a cruise. They all dressed up every night and actually really enjoyed dinner. I wore a dress every night for dinner. I know people say they don’t like to dress up on vacation. Then don’t go the the MDR. Why does the ship need to stop enforcing their dress code for them? They have other options.

I agree.... so what if you have to wear a suit everyday for your job, apparently you think more of your job than your vacation peeps, I wear PJ everyday for my job at home so I dress up, but I don't say "oh I'm on vacation so tough for you..." Jeez, it isn't the titanic, but it isn't the local pool hall either.

In defense of those who have never eaten at Mc Donald's:

We shouldn't discriminate against anyone who chooses to dress in formal wear on the optional formal night by making them eat at the buffet or in their suites.

Let's be honest, their choice of dress does not change the taste of our food nor change our dining experience in any way.

If you feel the need to pay for another suitcase on the flight, be burdened with the extra luggage and succomb to the ship's money maker by paying for overpriced pictures, I say go for it - afterall, it's your vacation.

I promise not to complain when these people block the stairs or walkways necessary for the rest of us to get to other parts of the ship while they are posing for these overpriced pictures.

I also promise not to stare at those dressed formally when they enter the main dining room.

It's your vacation - you should enjoy it and dress the way you want to.

Sometimes I think it depends on where your cruise is sailing from. When I sailed out of Southampton I didn't see any shorts and 80% tux on formal night compared to sailing out of Miami on a 3 night cruise there were no tux and plenty of people in shorts.

I actually don't mind want anyone wears. Its upto them its their holiday. Why should what they wear affect me? My husband wore a tux from Southampton and polo shirts and dark black jeans when sailing out of Miami. We were on a 3 week holiday and did not want to take lots of luggage on our flight.

I would not expect someone to dine at the Winjammer just because they don't want to wear formal wear.

Enjoy your cruise.

In defense of those who have never eaten at Mc Donald's:

We shouldn't discriminate against anyone who chooses to dress in formal wear on the optional formal night by making them eat at the buffet or in their suites.

Let's be honest, their choice of dress does not change the taste of our food nor change our dining experience in any way.

If you feel the need to pay for another suitcase on the flight, be burdened with the extra luggage and succomb to the ship's money maker by paying for overpriced pictures, I say go for it - afterall, it's your vacation.

I promise not to complain when these people block the stairs or walkways necessary for the rest of us to get to other parts of the ship while they are posing for these overpriced pictures.

I also promise not to stare at those dressed formally when they enter the main dining room.

It's your vacation - you should enjoy it and dress the way you want to.

Many great points, Rigby.

The rules that used to apply now do not. Shorts are now perfectly accepted in the dining room. On formal nights there are about 1/2 in sport coats or tuxes. I am old school, tux on formal night & smart casual on other nights. In my humble opinion, if you want to wear shorts to the MDR stay home & eat at McDonald's. My opinion, flame away.

At least at McDonald's you get a good meal

I always say I won't get pulled into dress code threads, but then I can't resist. A few comments.

What anymore wears doesn't bother me; their vacation, etc. and all those comments.

What does bother me, and it does happen, especially in the Caribbean, is people coming to dinner in shorts and t-shirts they have worn each day. Or, coming from the sports court with sports shorts and sweaty ringed tshirts. Use common courtesy and get a shower and change - even if you put on clean shorts/shirts. Some people smell - there - I said it!

Also, been flying for years. Other than perhaps the weight of a man's jacket, a pair of Docker type pants weighs no more than suit pants; ladies do not have to wear ball gowns - some cocktail type dresses are very light slinky material.

Not all ships have a sign outside the dining room saying no shorts. However, if there is a sign, don't ignore it. MDR might not be perfect, but you still have a tablecloth, correct silverware, etc., it's not a fast food restaurant.

Have found European and longer cruises to be much more conservative in dress than shorter Caribbean cruises.

I think it's nice to have the option. With the airlines charging for extra bags, etc, people are enjoying packing a little lighter.

It's nice to see people dressed up formal as well so I like the fact that RCI calls formal night "suggested". Many people dress formal so by all means dress formal if you want to (and leave your husband's ties at home if he doesn't want them).[/quo

I would only say, If you can afford to cruise you can afford an extra bag, isn't that the argument they use for tips??

What does "affording" have to do with it?

It's been a few years since we cruised and I can't remember how much a man needs to dress up on "normal" dinner nights? I know the website says "smart casual" but does he need to wear a tie every night? My daughters and I all bought dresses, but if a button up shirt and slacks will pass for "smart casual" for my husband I don't want to bother packing ties except for formal night. I have friends who have cruised Carnival a few times recently and said that there a polo shirt and slacks was perfectly acceptable in the dining room, but from my experience years ago I remember Royal being a little nicer...

Also, for formal nights it says he needs to be in a suit or tux, so is that saying that he can't get by with just a suit jacket (black) and slacks (khaki) but needs an actual matching set?

Thanks for any input.... I want to be sure we pack everything needed but really don't want to pack anything unnecessary (especially if we have to out and buy it like we would a suit! :Dlol).

On formal nights I wear a button down shirt ,sweater and slacks.

On other nights I wear a button down shirt ,sweater and slacks or a knit shirt instead of the button down.

I have never worn a tux ,not even on a Cunard cruise.

I last wore a suit in 2013

What does "affording" have to do with it?

when conversations about removing tips or such comes up the first thing I see is "well if you can't afford tips you shouldn't be cruising: all day long. So it applies to the $50 bag situation of packing extra bags.... of course you won't think so,:rolleyes: but it's actually true.

I want to apologize to McDonald's. There are plenty of posts where people enjoy their food over cruise food. I would love to eat at a lot of these people's home to taste gourmet food. I could care less what you wear, I was only giving my opinion. Freedom of speech is only true if you say what they want to hear.

I want to apologize to McDonald's. There are plenty of posts where people enjoy their food over cruise food. I would love to eat at a lot of these people's home to taste gourmet food. I could care less what you wear, I was only giving my opinion. Freedom of speech is only true if you say what they want to hear.

so you do care to some degree then?

Bill

Edited by S.S.Oceanlover
spelling

I agree.... so what if you have to wear a suit everyday for your job, apparently you think more of your job than your vacation peeps, I wear PJ everyday for my job at home so I dress up, but I don't say "oh I'm on vacation so tough for you..." Jeez, it isn't the titanic, but it isn't the local pool hall either.

WOW, i must have inadvertently hit a nerve with you. The dressing down on mainstream cruises lines also reflects the downgrade in service and food served in the MDR. While I appreciate the fact the your family dresses up for a meal. However i believe nowadays you are become the shrinking minority.

I for one would wear shorts to the MDR. The only thing stopping me is the AC is usually to cold for me. Different strokes... live and let live.

God bless...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We just took four kids from 20-26 with us on a cruise. They all dressed up every night and actually really enjoyed dinner. I wore a dress every night for dinner. I know people say they don’t like to dress up on vacation. Then don’t go the the MDR. Why does the ship need to stop enforcing their dress code for them? They have other options.

And let this be a lesson to all of you, had those four "kids" not dressed up every night then they actually wouldn't have really enjoyed their meals. Clothes make the meal.

And the ship has some nerve not enforcing a dress code that doesn't exist.

Finally, just because you're on vacation and want to relax doesn't mean that you should be able to ruin somebody else's vacation by dressing the way you want to. You shouldn't say "oh, I'm on vacation so let me ruin your vacation by dressing the way I want to." Jeez, peeps, your vacation is not about you.

And let this be a lesson to all of you, had those four "kids" not dressed up every night then they actually wouldn't have really enjoyed their meals. Clothes make the meal.

Finally, just because you're on vacation and want to relax doesn't mean that you should be able to ruin somebody else's vacation by dressing the way you want to. You shouldn't say "oh, I'm on vacation so let me ruin your vacation by dressing the way I want to." Jeez, peeps, your vacation is not about you.

Look up the word suggestion, then reread the compass on your next cruise.

Look up the word suggestion, then reread the compass on your next cruise.

Exactly - the waiter suggests the special but that doesn't mean that you must order it.

On the Oasis last year, we dressed up for both formal nights. The main reason was that we were wanting to update our family photos. Had we not planned on family photos, then we would just be "smart casual" for the most part.

That said, I ready don't care what others wear to the MDR. To us, we enjoy the whole dining experience. On our upcoming Alaska cruise, we are doing the post land cruisetour, so I will pack a sports jacket for the hubs and not a tux or suit this time to save space in the luggage.

I can promise this - I will not let it stress me out if someone wears shorts and t-shirt into the MDR!