Royal Caribbean Med Cruise- Naples or Capri??

porthole21

This is a silly game that the cruise lines play because in some parts of the Med, the port where you actually dock isn't the real 'destination' city or place that most cruisers want to visit.

So, for example, ships that dock in Civitavecchia will often say Civitavecchia (Rome), meaning they dock in Civitavecchia but it serves as the jumping off port for Rome.

Unfortunately, lines aren't always consistent in the way they do this. But in your case I'd say it's 90% or more likely that you'll dock in Naples -- unless you're on a really small ship. From Naples you have a variety of options, not just Capri. There's Pompeii, Sorrento, the Amalfi Coast, and Naples itself -- any one of which makes for a good day of sightseeing.

Edited to add: Oops, sorry. I missed that you are on Royal Caribbean. I'd make my estimate more like 97% likely it's Naples.

This is a silly game that the cruise lines play because in some parts of the Med, the port where you actually dock isn't the real 'destination' city or place that most cruisers want to visit.

So, for example, ships that dock in Civitavecchia will often say Civitavecchia (Rome), meaning they dock in Civitavecchia but it serves as the jumping off port for Rome.

Unfortunately, lines aren't always consistent in the way they do this. But in your case I'd say it's 90% or more likely that you'll dock in Naples -- unless you're on a really small ship. From Naples you have a variety of options, not just Capri. There's Pompeii, Sorrento, the Amalfi Coast, and Naples itself -- any one of which makes for a good day of sightseeing.

Edited to add: Oops, sorry. I missed that you are on Royal Caribbean. I'd make my estimate more like 97% likely it's Naples.

Thank you for the help! Sneaky like that I suppose. Any recommendations by chance on Pre- Cruise Hotels in Rome itself? Thinking since our cruise leaves on a thursday we would spend Tuesday and Wednesday in Rome.

I don't think it is being sneaky at all. If they just say "Rome", there will be a million people saying Rome is 50 miles inland- how could the ship dock there? If they just put "Civitavecchia", a certain number of people who don't want to do the research will skip that cruise, as it doesn't go to Rome. They are giving you more info.

There are dozens of threads here on hotel recommendations. We don't know your budget or other interests.

Thank you for the help! Sneaky like that I suppose. Any recommendations by chance on Pre- Cruise Hotels in Rome itself? Thinking since our cruise leaves on a thursday we would spend Tuesday and Wednesday in Rome.

I'd look for something close to the historic center (in Rome it's called "Centro Storico"). Something in the vicinity of the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain or Piazza Navona/Campo dei Fiori, which more or less represent the most central area.

Another tip -- always Google a hotel's location. Their websites will tell you they are just "steps away from Trevi fountain" -- but they don't say how many steps.

Some recommendations near the Pantheon (my choice) are: Albergo del Senato (expensive), Albergo Santa Chiara (a bit less expensive), 9 Hotel Cesari (very good rates if you book in advance; previously called Albergo Cesari), and Hotel Navona (probably lowest price of the hotels I've mentioned).

I've stayed at all of them and all are well located; some are obviously much more deluxe than others -- just depends what you're looking for.

For hotels in Rome it can be challenging. Pick an area that is near sites you want to visit. cruisemom42 gave you an excellent area.

Each time we do our research I use Trip Advisor. I narrow down to the area I want to visit. I look at the hotel write ups and for those that interest me I go to each of the hotels own websites where I look at additional details including pricing and the accommodations.

Keith

For hotels in Rome it can be challenging. Pick an area that is near sites you want to visit. cruisemom42 gave you an excellent area.

Each time we do our research I use Trip Advisor. I narrow down to the area I want to visit. I look at the hotel write ups and for those that interest me I go to each of the hotels own websites where I look at additional details including pricing and the accommodations.

Keith

Thank you Keith. I know we 1 want to visit the Vatican and 2 the Colosseum and then everything after that is great. Just being in Rome will be amazing for us.

You need to find out where it docks , our rccl cruise docked in Salerno which is not that close to Naples , on that trip we did ferry to Capri which was great ferry took about 90 mins each way but had beautiful views Of almafi coast both ways. If your ship pulled into Naples then you could do both, consider Pompeii also that is amazing

Thank you Keith. I know we 1 want to visit the Vatican and 2 the Colosseum and then everything after that is great. Just being in Rome will be amazing for us.

You say that the Vatican is your number one visit wish - but when you are booking hotels it is better to stay a tad more centrally.

I do as others have said. Rather than asking for specific hotel recommendations (only you know your hotel preferences) it makes more sense to pick an area and then look on popular booking websites. When you find something you like compare prices with the hotel website and look at recent reviews. You can get big price differences. I always look for cancellable rates because I know that if I keep looking I might find something better (I usually do). I don't worry too much about breakfast because we usually find that there is somewhere nearby that gives us what we want for half the price.

I think proximity to your arrival and leaving transport options are important (because that is when you will be thinking about your luggage), you can use public transport/taxis/walking on other journeys.

You will do a lot of walking in Rome - but that is how you will see the beauty of Rome, you going from site to site and on the way pass piazzas, fountains, ruins and churches.

I went on a Med cruise on the Brilliance Of the Seas, and decided on the Capri excursion, which was a very beautiful experience! RC has excellent shore excursions and does a terrific job selecting the best guids, transportation etc.

I went on a Med cruise on the Brilliance Of the Seas, and decided on the Capri excursion, which was a very beautiful experience! RC has excellent shore excursions and does a terrific job selecting the best guids, transportation etc.

I normally dislike and avoid ships tours, but we also did this and they did a good job , that was only ships tour we did

• 2 weeks later...
I normally dislike and avoid ships tours, but we also did this and they did a good job , that was only ships tour we did

George & Pappahbuttz,

We’ll be on RCCL’s Vision of the Seas this coming September and we plan to do the Capri excursion through the ship. Like you, this will be the only one we are planning to buy through the cruise liner.

I contacted a local company and they quoted me an outrageous price since we will be docked in Salerno which is further away from Capri than Naples or Sorrento. The company said we would need to be driven to Sorrento for the ferry. And, when I checked for the ferry schedule, none was listed leaving out of Salerno.

RCCL only has the “Capri on your own” excursion. Did your excursion offer a full tour of Capri or just transportation to/from Capri?

Thanks,

Karen

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hello Karen. Capri was one of my favourite excursions I did. I booked all trips through RCCL on my Med cruise, and found there tours were not only very well set up, but also informative, exciting and well worth the price. I had NO bad comments about any of them at all. On Capri it was a guided trip with time to explore on your own, including entrance to the very beautiful park on top of the mountain. The funicular was quite fun to take as well! I am returning to Capri on my upcoming cruise. I am very certain you will have a WONDRFUL time there!

It is very easy to do Capril on your own if your ship docks in Naples as this is likely to be very close to the ferry port. I’m not going to post details as many other people have done this previously on this site.

2nd this advice! We did Capri on our own and would do it again without hesitation. Of course, we were docked directly in Naples. The Capri ferry is within easy walking distance. Upon arrival in Capri, you can decide on how to split up the day. Blue Grotto, taxi tour, Annacapri, etc. All can be arranged upon arrival. There are also some great (and inexpensive) restaurants on the island. One of the best days on our last Med cruise!!

Sorry for silly question, but this will be our first ever Med cruise and the itinerary shows Naples (Capri) as the second port visit. Does the ship pull into Naples? if so why would it list both??

We always stay at Hotel Napoleon.

It is right by metro station and the staff are wonderful and also a short distance to main train station.

You can take ferry to Sorrento also but if your going head there , go early. many of the shops close at lunch but restaurants still open. We love It.