I am devastated

JoJo1973

Well, I think we got not a great deal but you can't look a gift horse in the mouth.

It saved you a tremendous amount of time and trouble especially since BIL and family was not cooperating. Also, it remains to be seen if you CC insurance would have come through. I imagine there are many caveats to that type of insurance, jmo.

I'm thinking the deal offered to her as a result of the ship being oversold wasn't as generous a deal as most other offers we've heard about. Kinda like everybody else being offered a BOGO, and your deal is a BOGO 1/2 off. Still a deal, just not what everybody else got. She still got lucky, though.

Yep, I think this is what's going to happen. Sister said she was OK with us going. She has a lot of support at home with husband and 2 good behaviored kids (14 and 10). And people from their church have been bringing over lots of meals. Hopefully she will get out of the hospital tomorrow and then start recovery. It's been a real whirlwind week...

Last Tuesday she went with her family to an amusement park and did some rides. Was feeling bloated (but had been eating greasy, salty foods). By 10 pm she was in terrible pain (she said worse than childbirth, and constant) and could see something protruding and hard to touch in her stomach area. Got to emergency room and waited and waited. Discovered it was a tumor and it was bleeding (this caused the pain). Thursday surgery... now more waiting. So happy she has a great support system at home.

Just a thought. Would your sister have access to the internet while you're away? If she does, could you send a chatty email describing your travels to her?

I'm thinking the deal offered to her as a result of the ship being oversold wasn't as generous a deal as most other offers we've heard about. Kinda like everybody else being offered a BOGO, and your deal is a BOGO 1/2 off. Still a deal, just not what everybody else got. She still got lucky, though.

Well, it was the TA who said it was oversold ... who really knows?

This was NOT s moveover. My guess: the TA whined at Princess and sas able to get refund as s credit for thr OP. If this were a true moveover I doubt the credit could be reassigned from thr OP to her dad. This was a goodwill gesture to the OP.

Princesd could ad easily accepted a csncellation ... and lefy the OP tl struggle with family and insurance.

Be grateful for zprincess pity party!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Forums mobile app

Well, it was the TA who said it was oversold ... who really knows?

This was NOT s moveover. My guess: the TA whined at Princess and sas able to get refund as s credit for thr OP. If this were a true moveover I doubt the credit could be reassigned from thr OP to her dad. This was a goodwill gesture to the OP.

Princesd could ad easily accepted a csncellation ... and lefy the OP tl struggle with family and insurance.

Be grateful for zprincess pity party!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Forums mobile app

I guess I wasn't jumping to thinking that the TA lied to JoJo. I took what she's reported at face value without reading any more into it. Or putting words into her mouth.

Thanks all for well wishes. Yes, I am quite happy with what I got. Mom and Dad are already thinking where they want to take their next cruise. We are only out the $650 in flights + $200 for mom's insurance that isn't refundable.

I don't have any more info from the TA except she said it was oversold and since we had previously inquired about cancelling (we did a week earlier about making a claim or me going solo when sister had her surgery), that we were on the top of the list to make some form of offer. I don't think she has a reason to lie.

So since I had asked for a bunch of time off work, I'm going to road trip down to Oregon for the next 11 days to do some hot springs and bird watching. I'm getting a new boss in a couple weeks (didn't know the timing when booked the cruise in December) so I'll be able to be back for her starting, so that's good too. Then in May I'm going home to visit family for awhile.

Thanks all for the advice, it has helped.

• 1 month later...
Thanks all for well wishes. Yes, I am quite happy with what I got. Mom and Dad are already thinking where they want to take their next cruise. We are only out the $650 in flights + $200 for mom's insurance that isn't refundable.

I don't have any more info from the TA except she said it was oversold and since we had previously inquired about cancelling (we did a week earlier about making a claim or me going solo when sister had her surgery), that we were on the top of the list to make some form of offer. I don't think she has a reason to lie.

So since I had asked for a bunch of time off work, I'm going to road trip down to Oregon for the next 11 days to do some hot springs and bird watching. I'm getting a new boss in a couple weeks (didn't know the timing when booked the cruise in December) so I'll be able to be back for her starting, so that's good too. Then in May I'm going home to visit family for awhile.

Thanks all for the advice, it has helped.

If you paid for the airline tickets with your chase card and you cannot re purpose the tickets (apply the value to a different flight) you can still file a claim for that lose with the CC for your air fair due to family member illness.

• 2 weeks later...
There was a thread last year (??maybe 2 years ago). The mother had no insurance and died just before the cruise. The OP was in a dither..."what should I do?"

Several posters suggested that she just show up for the cruise and if anyone asked she should tell them "she's arriving later".

That's what she did. Went on the cruise, her mother was a not show, no further charges.

Ummmm.... that was me. And I am not sure if dither is totally accurate, but JF did nail the scenario and how we handled it, with he exception that we told the people at check in that she was not coming. They asked us to verify that and we said, “She is not cruising today”. That was the end of it. We did not have to pay the single supplement.

Ummmm.... that was me. And I am not sure if dither is totally accurate, but JF did nail the scenario and how we handled it, with he exception that we told the people at check in that she was not coming. They asked us to verify that and we said, “She is not cruising today”. That was the end of it. We did not have to pay the single supplement.

In that case I am guessing that, while the second party didn't cruise, their fare was still paid. Princess only cares about the fare. If they get paid they don't care at all if the passenger sails or not. If the fare is rescinded for whatever reason I would expect Princess to demand the single supplement be paid - assuming, of course, that the booking was for two people in the cabin.