I am devastated

JoJo1973

Well, we are supposed to depart on this cruise one week from today and sister has taken a turn for the worse. She went home on Tuesday but a combo of the pain and terrible constipation from the pain medication is making my mom feel like she can't leave. My sister (even though husband is there to help) has been asking help from my mom. Apparently a doctors appointment is being set up but I don't know when this will be. I'm also afraid if my mom goes on the cruise she'll just worry the whole time.

My best to your sister. My mom had a kidney removed due to cancer in the lining in around 1992 or so. She retired from work in 2013.

Not sure about the insurance thing, but I've had major abdominal surgery and was in pain for about a week, and then it started feeling exponentially better, although it took a while to feel 100%. Which is not to say your mother should go or not go, but just to let your sister know it will get better.

Personally, I think now they let people out of the hospital too soon. They can do better pain control there.

Latest update: she was readmitted to the hospital today, so mom definitely not going. They're going to take the papers to the hospital to get doctor to fill . fingers crossed we get some money back. I have 4 weeks off work so going to probably go home for a visit.

Latest update: she was readmitted to the hospital today, so mom definitely not going. They're going to take the papers to the hospital to get doctor to fill . fingers crossed we get some money back. I have 4 weeks off work so going to probably go home for a visit.

Have you gotten the forms from Card Benefit Services yet for the coverage from your Chase CC? Be sure and get a print out of your Princess Itinerary and the page showing the fare fully paid before canceling. Some of the data might not available on line after you cancel. You will also need your CC statements that show your CC payments to Princess as well as a copy of the Princess refund policy. (I just went through this with A Celebrity cruise after my wife broke her wrist).

Well, this is definitely reason to set the clock ticking as of today.

Print out all documents that you haven't saved--Princess invoices showing full payment made some time ago, etc. ALL documents that may be from TA or from Princess. Be sure that the doc dates the forms today or later. And then contact your TA about cancelation.

Best to your sister!

Well' date=' this is definitely reason to set the clock ticking as of today.

Print out all documents that you haven't saved--Princess invoices showing full payment made some time ago, etc. ALL documents that may be from TA or from Princess. Be sure that the doc dates the forms today or later. And then contact your TA about cancelation.

Best to your sister![/quote']

I sent all of the claim forms (unfortunately 3 - hers, mine, and her airfare) to my mom to hand deliver to brother in law to get signed by the doctor tomorrow. Nothing is open and my mom doesn't know how to scan anything and can't bother their TA until Monday.

Have you gotten the forms from Card Benefit Services yet for the coverage from your Chase CC? Be sure and get a print out of your Princess Itinerary and the page showing the fare fully paid before canceling. Some of the data might not available on line after you cancel. You will also need your CC statements that show your CC payments to Princess as well as a copy of the Princess refund policy. (I just went through this with A Celebrity cruise after my wife broke her wrist).

Yes, downloaded these today to get to doctor in Minnesota by tomorrow. I will likely have a busy monday morning.

Sorry to derail the current thread (and I'm so very sorry that you've had to cancel your cruise) but I'm a little confused about the "one person cancels and other has to pay a single supplement" situation from the base post.

A few years ago, my wife and I were booked on a California coastal along with my inlaws who were visiting us from the UK. We had booked 2 seperate cabins. During their visit and just before the cruise, I got a call from my sister back in the UK to say that our father had died. I immediately started looking for flights back to Scotland and figured that as we had insured the trip, I could claim my money back for myself and my wife could still take the trip with her parents. From what I'm reading here, I would have gotten my money back from the insurance, but my wife would have had to pay a single supplement to Princess for our cabin?

That doesn't seem fair to me. Princess get 3 fares from us for that cabin (they keep my fare as were about a week out from sailing and my wife would now have to pay 2x with the single supplement requirement) and we get 1 fare back from the insurance co. meaning we still paid the equivalent fare of two passengers, but only one person gets to travel. Why bother to claim on the insurance then as the end out of pocket to us would have been the same?

In the end, my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer later the same day, so there was no way I was going to leave her, so I opted not to go back for the funeral and we spent the next few days visiting oncologists, surgeons, radiologists and plastic surgeons as well as going for multiple body scans. A treatment plan was organized and as the cruise fell into that schedule nicely, we opted to take the cruise as a means to get away from it all for a few days. I'm happy to say that my wife and I are still cruising and are off to sail round Fiji on Princess early next month.

I hope everything works out well for your sister.

I appreciate you sharing your story. It will definitely help someone else in the future when they are debating about insurance. I sure hope you are able to get all of your money back.

Sorry to derail the current thread (and I'm so very sorry that you've had to cancel your cruise) but I'm a little confused about the "one person cancels and other has to pay a single supplement" situation from the base post.

A few years ago, my wife and I were booked on a California coastal along with my inlaws who were visiting us from the UK. We had booked 2 seperate cabins. During their visit and just before the cruise, I got a call from my sister back in the UK to say that our father had died. I immediately started looking for flights back to Scotland and figured that as we had insured the trip, I could claim my money back for myself and my wife could still take the trip with her parents. From what I'm reading here, I would have gotten my money back from the insurance, but my wife would have had to pay a single supplement to Princess for our cabin?

That doesn't seem fair to me. Princess get 3 fares from us for that cabin (they keep my fare as were about a week out from sailing and my wife would now have to pay 2x with the single supplement requirement) and we get 1 fare back from the insurance co. meaning we still paid the equivalent fare of two passengers, but only one person gets to travel. Why bother to claim on the insurance then as the end out of pocket to us would have been the same?

In the end, my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer later the same day, so there was no way I was going to leave her, so I opted not to go back for the funeral and we spent the next few days visiting oncologists, surgeons, radiologists and plastic surgeons as well as going for multiple body scans. A treatment plan was organized and as the cruise fell into that schedule nicely, we opted to take the cruise as a means to get away from it all for a few days. I'm happy to say that my wife and I are still cruising and are off to sail round Fiji on Princess early next month.

I think there's a lot of confusion about this. It would seem to me that since the insurance does the reimbursement not the cruise line, the single supplement would be in effect, but the money already paid would cover that. I don't think they would change another third.

But I don't think anyone actually knows.

And I'm glad to hear your wife is good - my sister is a 20 year survivor, my mom is a 10 year and my cousin is a several year.

I'm very sorry about your sister. I'm sure your mom needs to be there. I was diagnosed with Stage 3C Breast Cancer in 2015 and I sure wished my mom was still alive, because one of my

first thoughts was, "I want my mommy". I was 52. We had to skip cruising for a year, but we planned a wonderful 15 day Hawaiian cruise for the next year, to celebrate my victory. We had 5 others traveling with us!

We had sailed 5 times with no insurance. Then the next year we decided that our parents were getting older and my father had recently been pretty ill, so we opted to buy insurace. I think I was 49 and hubby 54 at the time. A few weeks before sailing my brother passed away, totally unexpectantly. We cancelled our cruise and rebooked it out a month later. We have purchased insurance every time since then.

We are sailing March 30th, and I had my 6 month checkup scans/bloodwork in mid February, with the results appointment on 2/23. We had insurance, but I was sure praying we didn't need to use it. All was clear, still, so sailing we shall go!

If both parties have Princess insurance then no issue. The person leaving for covered reason gets refund, the other person get single supplement paid by insurance. The situation in this case is only one person had Princess insurance. The other person did not purchase Princess insurance. In that case since the covered person was leaving the other party would have to pay the single supplement if they wanted to stay on the ship.

I assume your insurance would have covered that amount.

Missed this post before.

Yes, it would have. There is some wording about under insuring. I think on some policies you might get nothing if you under insure and make a claim. Might be a new topic to raise.

....the single supplement would be in effect, but the money already paid would cover that. I don't think they would change another third.

They can and they do. While many seem to think there is, or should be, a ‘rule’ about not charging three fares for a room there is no such limit. JoJo’s now canceled room will be resold at some new fare and the cruiseline will receive four fares for it. It is just more obvious when one sees the refaring on a one cancels/one doesn’t situation. But there is no limit to how many fares can be charged if multiple parties book and then cancel the same room within the penalty period.

On occasion, when the Cruiseline Insurance is on the hook for the single supplement, AND the cruise is canceled within the 100% penalty phase, AND one person on the original booking is still going as a single, the cruiseline May choose to forego the supplement. But it is not a certainty and there is nothing that says ‘ the cruiseline has been paid for two fares so they are good to go’.

My best wishes to JoJo and her family during this difficult time for all. I would add that once you open a claim with your insurance (which often can be done online or over the phone) you do have at least a month to file the initial paperwork. You should not have to rush to get the doctor’s signature and statement on the claim forms on Monday.

....That doesn't seem fair to me. Princess get 3 fares from us for that cabin (they keep my fare as were about a week out from sailing and my wife would now have to pay 2x with the single supplement requirement) and we get 1 fare back from the insurance co. meaning we still paid the equivalent fare of two passengers, but only one person gets to travel. Why bother to claim on the insurance then as the end out of pocket to us would have been the same?....
Almost, but you’ve got it a bit mixed up. Princess would have received nearly the equivalent price of 3 fares; your penalty fare, your wife’s single fare, and your wife’s single supplement fare. Your insurance would have reimbursed you for your penalty (it was a covered reason) and your wife’s insurance would have reimbursed her for the the single supplement charge. So you would have only paid, in essence, one fare.

Well, i thought we'd have the doctor forms today but my brother in law says they're confusing and refused to get them done because it was stressing out my sister. I am at a lost of what to do now. My mom has a bad cold so she can't, won't go to the hospital.

Call your TA in the morning. If they are well versed in travel insurance documentation, they should be able to help.

Bottom line--if no one is willing to get them signed by the doc (or a doctor's note attesting to the fact that sister's situation worsened markedly yesterday to the point of requiring hospitalization), you won't be able to collect on the insurance. You MUST have the doc's statement. Can you get the doctor's fax number and fax a copy to his office? This is actually easier on everyone than trying to get it done at the hospital. He's going to walk a bit of a tightrope because of HIPPA laws; is sister doesn't allow release of information to you, he won't be able to give you a letter or the documentation you need.

I would include a cover letter explaining that you need documentation of the date of admission and his signature (and whatever else you need) in order to file with the insurance for a refund of the fees you and your mother have paid.

Well, i thought we'd have the doctor forms today but my brother in law says they're confusing and refused to get them done because it was stressing out my sister. I am at a lost of what to do now. My mom has a bad cold so she can't, won't go to the hospital.

Since you are going through Chase I expect that you are dealing with the same group and forms that I have used. The form for the Doctor that I received had a cover letter from Card Benefit Services and then 2 pages including section 1 that you complete, and section 2 and 3 for the Doctor. If you received the same thing in the cover letter is says to please provide all supporting documentation within 90 days or as soon as reasonably possible. So that means at least in your case that you have some time.

Don't know about the others.

As far as your brother in law is concerned all he needs to do is to sign a release such that medical information can be sent to you and the insurance company (in most states a spouse can also sign a release for medical info). Once that is done then you should be able to deal directly with the doctors office and not have to burden your brother in law or sister. If you have the Doctors name and office info you can contact the office directly and talk to someone that does admin for them and they can make sure the proper release is prepared and help you through the process.

Since you are going through Chase I expect that you are dealing with the same group and forms that I have used. The form for the Doctor that I received had a cover letter from Card Benefit Services and then 2 pages including section 1 that you complete, and section 2 and 3 for the Doctor. If you received the same thing in the cover letter is says to please provide all supporting documentation within 90 days or as soon as reasonably possible. So that means at least in your case that you have some time.

Don't know about the others.

As far as your brother in law is concerned all he needs to do is to sign a release such that medical information can be sent to you and the insurance company (in most states a spouse can also sign a release for medical info). Once that is done then you should be able to deal directly with the doctors office and not have to burden your brother in law or sister. If you have the Doctors name and office info you can contact the office directly and talk to someone that does admin for them and they can make sure the proper release is prepared and help you through the process.

Thanks for this info. I'm hoping this will all work out. As of yesterday B-I-L refused to even give the phone number for the doctor. I don't know how my parents are communicating this but in general the B-I-L pretty much dislikes our whole family so is being a jerk about this. I'm hoping my sister will grant consent.

I'm still on the fence if neither of them will sign should I just go because without that signature, we won't get any of our money back. I cancelled the pre-night hotel and all of my tours already so it would be a pretty miserable time.

Thanks for this info. I'm hoping this will all work out. As of yesterday B-I-L refused to even give the phone number for the doctor. I don't know how my parents are communicating this but in general the B-I-L pretty much dislikes our whole family so is being a jerk about this. I'm hoping my sister will grant consent.

I'm still on the fence if neither of them will sign should I just go because without that signature, we won't get any of our money back. I cancelled the pre-night hotel and all of my tours already so it would be a pretty miserable time.

I would go. Hopefully the tours can be rebooked.

I am so sorry about the whole situation.

Any chance of substituting a friend or another relative in your mom's place?

As least the money won't be a total loss.

If BIL won't sign, I'd go on the cruise anyhow. As you noted, you can't get the signatures you need for a refund without either your sister or BIL signing. No point in losing all the money you've paid!

You can probably reinstate your excursions, or at least some of them. And there are lots of hotels--if you can't get the one you had booked, you can find another one.

Heck, normally I'd offer to go with you, but it crosses with my cruise.

Seriously, as to excursions, we never book them more than a day or two ahead--my daughter has a medical situation that doesn't allow us to predict in advance how she's going to be feeling, and due to the cancelation policy on excursions, we can end up with a big bill if she is in a bad phase. However, we can almost always get something that she wants even the day before. For one person, you should be able to add excursions fairly easily.