I am devastated

JoJo1973

—Would you go solo?

If yes, and you have to pay Princess, why not just have your Mom no show and you reimburse her? Assuming the numbers are even.

Someone will answer—- What is Princess’s no show policy? Does the sailing pax have to pay for the second berth at that time?

Hope all goes well with your sister.

I think the numbers are even - so they refund her the 3000 and I pay the 3000, or I pay her the 3000 and Princess keeps its 3000,.Either way, princess keeps the amount she paid for the insurance which isn't refundable.

Knowing them (based on other problems I've had with this booking) there's some fine print about fines if I do anything out the ordinary. Sure, they can cancel ports (which they did cancel the main reason I wanted this cruise) but not reimburse in anyway (in fact, we are starting to suspect they might increase our port charges by $50 because in lieu of the missed stop they're staying 2 days instead of 1 at another stop).

Ugh I'm getting so angry again. I need to stop thinking about this garbage.

That's awful ... but I understand why it has to be done that way. If they allowed someone to book a cabin for 2 and insurance for only one, then any passenger could get their very own cabin for the price of one fare plus the insurance for one. Small price to pay for your own cabin. If you both cancel, they can either resell the cabin or sell the upgrade to someone else.

But, without thinking that through ahead of time, it would be a bit of a shock! Hoping all works out with both the cruise and the diagnosis / prognosis.

I don't get how this would work.

Situation 1: Person A gets insurance and B does not - and A has to cancel due to insurable event - princess has the insurance to cover A's loss and B has paid their share. And now they ask B to pay double. So effectively they're getting reimbursement for 3 fares, not 2.

Situation 2: Person A gets insurance and B does not - and B has to cancel due to insurable event - A has paid their share, and B has paid their share but can't get a refund, so Princess keeps 2 full fares.

So they've created a nifty little secret win for themselves for situation 1, that isn't obvious to most. I work in insurance and never fathomed they would do this. Maybe it was in the small print. It would be nice to see an extra disclosure if one has insurance and the other does not that informs them of this Single supplement when Situation 1 happens.

The cancellation "insurance" in Princess Vacation Protection is not insurance - unless you live in New York. It is an addendum to the Passage Contract that says that Princess will waive the cancellation penalty and/or the single supplement in certain specified conditions. So Princess does not get reimbursed by insurance if you cancel for a covered condition.

The description in the Princess Vacation Protection brochure about the waiver of single supplement states the conditions - it covers you if you are charged a single supplement because a traveling companion cancels for a covered condition. Note that this coverage would apply even if the traveling companion who cancelled did not have Princess Vacation Protection. It also applies if a passenger cancels during the period before a large cancellation penalty applies - it would still waive the single supplement for the other passenger who does not cancel.

Well, I just learned something new the hard way. If one person gets insurance and the other one doesn't. And the one that has insurance can't go due to a family emergency (daughter just diagnosed with cancer and 86 year old sister's health declining rapidly) and the other one decides to go, the one that goes has to pay a 100% single supplement = $3000.

I can give you a way to get around this added fee. But it will only really work if you are close to the port you are leaving from. And Princess will not like this but nothing they can do about it. It is not easy to do and you may not want to fight the battle.

You both check into the cruise she boards and then after boarding makes the medical claim reason for leaving the cruise before it sales. She may be charge a small service fee but the insurance should cover the cruise cost. It is not a prefect way but it can work.

Well, I just learned something new the hard way. If one person gets insurance and the other one doesn't. And the one that has insurance can't go due to a family emergency (daughter just diagnosed with cancer and 86 year old sister's health declining rapidly) and the other one decides to go, the one that goes has to pay a 100% single supplement = $3000.

Prayers your way.

There was a thread last year (??maybe 2 years ago). The mother had no insurance and died just before the cruise. The OP was in a dither..."what should I do?"

Several posters suggested that she just show up for the cruise and if anyone asked she should tell them "she's arriving later".

That's what she did. Went on the cruise, her mother was a not show, no further charges.

I think the numbers are even - so they refund her the 3000 and I pay the 3000, or I pay her the 3000 and Princess keeps its 3000,.Either way, princess keeps the amount she paid for the insurance which isn't refundable.

Knowing them (based on other problems I've had with this booking) there's some fine print about fines if I do anything out the ordinary. Sure, they can cancel ports (which they did cancel the main reason I wanted this cruise) but not reimburse in anyway (in fact, we are starting to suspect they might increase our port charges by $50 because in lieu of the missed stop they're staying 2 days instead of 1 at another stop).

Ugh I'm getting so angry again. I need to stop thinking about this garbage.

Keep in mind that for a cancel for a medical reason you are not dealing with Princess you are dealing with the insurance company. The insurance company will pay the difference between what Princess refunds and the amount paid. In the case of cancel for any reason where passenger gets a future cruise credit, not cash that is self insured by Princess. There are other cases where Princess will self insure the case where a single supplement gets waived if a traveling companion cancels, provided the remaining person has insurance is another example where Princess self insures. Had one case of a cancellation for covered cause and it was handled by an insurance company. Had one case where we canceled for any reason and that was strictly handled by Princess. Basically if there is a cash payout it is usually insurance, if it is a credit it is Princess self insurance (at least it was a couple of years ago when I made my last claim.)

From the insurance company point of view if they were to take care of your single supplement as well then they would have the cash they paid out, plus the payment of an additional fare to Princess. A total payout of 2 X fare with only 1 premium paid. That is why both parties must have insurance. How the payouts are handled is part of the insurance fee calculations so if they did what you wanted the insurance premium would be higher.

The credit card coverage will probably make you whole if you cancel, but I don't know and doubt if they will pay single supplement if you decide to continue the cruise.

Edited by RDC1

I sailed with a friend a few years back and she couldn’t go due to family illness. I went and she was a no show. We didn’t notify in advance. I wasn’t billed any extra charges. My friend had non-Princess insurance and filed her claim after the cruise. She was reimbursed. No problems.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There was a thread last year (??maybe 2 years ago). The mother had no insurance and died just before the cruise. The OP was in a dither..."what should I do?"

Several posters suggested that she just show up for the cruise and if anyone asked she should tell them "she's arriving later".

That's what she did. Went on the cruise, her mother was a not show, no further charges.

Of course in that case there was no recovery of the mothers fare. In this case they are using one persons insurance so what was done in that case is not an option.

I sailed with a friend a few years back and she couldn’t go due to family illness. I went and she was a no show. We didn’t notify in advance. I wasn’t billed any extra charges. My friend had non-Princess insurance and filed her claim after the cruise. She was reimbursed. No problems.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

She was pretty lucky in that most insurance policies require notification to the primary carrier prior to the trip for claims to be paid. The reason why they do that is to try and minimize their payout based upon the carriers refund schedule.

Cruise is in 13 days. Finding a replacement would be nearly impossible for a 28 day cruise. And obviously way past the date to get a refund.

We get the biopsy results sometime next week. Still in shock that my 41 year old sister likely has cancer.

If the prognosis is good, my mom still wants to go. At this point this is the best result. There is no way we are touching the reservation until we know what we're doing. The price for our room looks like its gone from 3000 to over 3600.

If she doesn't go, I call Chase Sapphire Reserve and try to get some of my non-refundables back. I've book the cruise (3000) airfare (200) and one shore ex (100) that is well under the 10,000 cancellation insurance I supposedly have with CSR.

The shore excursion you can cancel up to five days before the cruise and get your money back for it.

I have no solutions just wanted to say how sorry I am that you are going through the medical issues with your family and that your cruise may be canceled. Hope it all works out well for everyone involved.

Beyond me why anyone would not get insurance.

I have been on 28 cruises in the last 12 years, with two more in the next two months (all but four of them 12 nights or longer) only paid for insurance once.

I need to take a few days off from the internet. blood pressure is boiling. just feeling super super depressed and nothing I can do about it.

I am truly sorry for your situation and know how bad you must be feeling. I was diagnosed with stage 3 kidney cancer and they removed my kidney. That was three years ago and I am fine. Did not require radiation or chemo. Hope your sister has the same outcome.

I really can't get my head around the insurance issue. It seems to me that the insurance will cover your mother's half of the cabin so why should you also have to pay for it? Does not seem fair to me. Princess are getting paid twice for that half.

If your mother does decide to cancel I would do what others suggest to try and limit your costs. There do seem to be some "tricks" to the whole situation.

I wish you and your family all the best and hope both you and your mother get to go on the cruise together.

Yes, I made the mistake of thinking if she cancelled, that would pay her half and I'd be good to go solo since my half was already paid.

This really seems backwards - say something happens so a couple, both with insurance have to cancel 1 week (or day) before the cruise. This cabin will likely sit empty, the ship won't even get any onboard spending.

So here's where they have an opportunity for one person to still travel, who has paid their fair 1/2 share of the room cost, the insurance has covered the other person, and at least they get 1/2 of the onboard spending.

The error in your analogy, is that a couple cancels a few days prior to sailing, and have insurance, the cruise line still gets there money for the cabin. Yes, the cabin will likely sail empty, but the cruise line has their money. It is the insurance company that pays out, not the cruise line.

So if your mother cancels and you sail solo, the cruise line retains, her payment, plus charges you double (single supplement), so they are coming out ahead.

Absolutely contact your credit card company. I book all of my cruises using Chase United airline card just for that reason. They provide up to $10,000 per person, as long as the charges are paid using their card.

If the card you have has cancellation coverage you should end up in good shape.

RDCI:

we have the same credit card and have never seen anything about this in the paperwork or on line. Can you tell me where you are reading this?

Thanks

I'm sorry you had this experience.

There are plenty of posters here who insist this doesn't happen. Obviously, it does.

Could you mom embark with you?

And then if your sister's health issue becomes serious enough, have your mom use the insurance

to fly home?

If your mom does not cancel and put in a claim you could just go and not get hit with the double charge. Just don't say anything about the other person when you check in, she will show as a no show

This seems like the best way to handle this. Just go and check in say she is coming on here own. But she should not put claim in until last minute so the ship does not have until after it has sailed. Sometimes you need to play the system so you can win.

I'm hoping the sister's condition is good and the mother can go with the OP. We always have insurance for our cruises. It's a small price to pay for peace of mind. I worry more about the expenses if we end up needing medical treatment on a cruise. My mother-in-law had to be removed from a ship and hospitalized in Greece. The insurance company was great in dealing with DH. It paid for the hospital, my father-in-law's hotel, the changes to the flights, and even hired a nursing student to accompany them on the flight home just in case.

In another instance, my stepfather's heart attack caused my mother and him to cancel their cruise to Alaska. They were able to go the next year since they got their money back from having insurance.

I had to cancel a cruise two summers ago due to a medical condition. I got our cruise fare refunded thanks to having insurance, and my credit card's travel insurance coverage gave me the money back for our nonrefundable Hotwire hotel reservations.

I'm hoping the sister's condition is good and the mother can go with the OP. We always have insurance for our cruises. It's a small price to pay for peace of mind. I worry more about the expenses if we end up needing medical treatment on a cruise. My mother-in-law had to be removed from a ship and hospitalized in Greece. The insurance company was great in dealing with DH. It paid for the hospital, my father-in-law's hotel, the changes to the flights, and even hired a nursing student to accompany them on the flight home just in case.

In another instance, my stepfather's heart attack caused my mother and him to cancel their cruise to Alaska. They were able to go the next year since they got their money back from having insurance.

I had to cancel a cruise two summers ago due to a medical condition. I got our cruise fare refunded thanks to having insurance, and my credit card's travel insurance coverage gave me the money back for our nonrefundable Hotwire hotel reservations.

Did you have insurance with the Princess cruise line?

Just wondering since I got insurance for myself through Princess for our cruise next year.