I am devastated

JoJo1973

I just read this whole thread and I feel so terrible for you. This should be a fun exciting time getting ready for vacation and you're stuck juggling this decision. My only advice is to try to get the office info for your sister's doctor and work through the admin/nursing staff for her doctor. That's usually the most efficient way of getting paperwork from doctors... not going straight to the doctor.

I would also suggest that you take a moment to be quiet with yourself and think about what you'd really feel best doing. Take money out of the equation. Where do you want to be? What do you want to be doing? Then make your decision and do your best to minimize any financial losses as a result. It's really a bummer, but you will be happiest in the end if you do what your heart really wants, with less consideration of costs. And trust me, this is coming from someone who is excessively concerned with finances.

I just read this whole thread and I feel so terrible for you. This should be a fun exciting time getting ready for vacation and you're stuck juggling this decision. My only advice is to try to get the office info for your sister's doctor and work through the admin/nursing staff for her doctor. That's usually the most efficient way of getting paperwork from doctors... not going straight to the doctor.

I would also suggest that you take a moment to be quiet with yourself and think about what you'd really feel best doing. Take money out of the equation. Where do you want to be? What do you want to be doing? Then make your decision and do your best to minimize any financial losses as a result. It's really a bummer, but you will be happiest in the end if you do what your heart really wants, with less consideration of costs. And trust me, this is coming from someone who is excessively concerned with finances.

This is very good advice. Wishing you the best JoJo.

Well, God may have shone on us and offered up something that makes us as close to whole as we are going to get. TA called today and said the cruise is overbooked, they offered us a refund in the form of exactly what we paid towards a future cruise, minus what my mom paid for the insurance. But, we don't get anything for our airfares so mom is out $450 and I'm out $200 but that's a heck of a lot better than the close to $7000 we were out yesterday.

This has been one of the most stressful things ever. I think I will go spend a little time with family towards the end of April.

Well, God may have shone on us and offered up something that makes us as close to whole as we are going to get. TA called today and said the cruise is overbooked, they offered us a refund in the form of exactly what we paid towards a future cruise, minus what my mom paid for the insurance. But, we don't get anything for our airfares so mom is out $450 and I'm out $200 but that's a heck of a lot better than the close to $7000 we were out yesterday.

This has been one of the most stressful things ever. I think I will go spend a little time with family towards the end of April.

What a fantastic resolution to your problem. All the best to you and your sister. :)

Best wishes to all of you. This sounds like an amazing solution. So they are giving it to you as a refund, not refundable OBC on another cruise? Either way it is great...but typically they give a "move over" offer which includes not only the money back for this cruise, but also another cruise at no cost.

Sleep well! Glad something worked out!

You may want to read the fine print. You may actually have another cruise to pick out.

Yes, indeed He did. It was my observation that they had trouble filling the ship up. I am so happy for you. When things settle, look at the Holland America, 51 day Tales of the South Pacific, RT San Diego, October 28, 2019....lots of time to plan and save. We are booked. The itinerary is fantastic. Take care.

Yes, indeed He did. It was my observation that they had trouble filling the ship up. I am so happy for you. When things settle, look at the Holland America, 51 day Tales of the South Pacific, RT San Diego, October 28, 2019....lots of time to plan and save. We are booked. The itinerary is fantastic. Take care.

Wow! This looks awesome!

Sleep well! Glad something worked out!

You may want to read the fine print. You may actually have another cruise to pick out.

I understand it's credit towards booking a new cruise. They let me move the credit into my Dad's name as they love to do Princess. Hopefully their TA will work with them to plan something fun for later in the year or next winter.

Best wishes to all of you. This sounds like an amazing solution. So they are giving it to you as a refund' date=' not refundable OBC on another cruise? Either way it is great...but typically they give a "move over" offer which includes not only the money back for this cruise, but also another cruise at no cost.[/quote']

No move over... I think they knew they had us because the TA had inquired about canceling last week. Anyways, I believe it's credit towards a new cruise. They are only refunding our port fees and not reimbursing us for airfare. (they offered $150 change fee but I bought 2 one way fares at $100 apiece with $125 change fees). Wish I could change these, i need to fly to LA for an event in September.

First of all, I hope your sister starts feeling better soon.

Second, you may need to look for a new TA if they let only one of you buy insurance without telling you the pitfalls of that. Further, I have heard that usually in the case of overbooking, you are offered a move-over cruise plus money or credit back for current cruise. Did they suggest that you may minimize your airfare loss by paying to change it for use to go home? (Or a future cruise)

I think you mentioned MN somewhere so I hope you didn’t use the TA I use here in the famous medical city.

Best wishes to all of you. This sounds like an amazing solution. So they are giving it to you as a refund' date=' not refundable OBC on another cruise? Either way it is great...but typically they give a "move over" offer which includes not only the money back for this cruise, but also another cruise at no cost.[/quote']

I think, from what the OP wrote, the 'refund' is ONLY in the form of a future cruise credit.

Second, you may need to look for a new TA if they let only one of you buy insurance without telling you the pitfalls of that. Further, I have heard that usually in the case of overbooking, you are offered a move-over cruise plus money or credit back for current cruise. Did they suggest that you may minimize your airfare loss by paying to change it for use to go home? (Or a future cruise)

I think you mentioned MN somewhere so I hope you didn’t use the TA I use here in the famous medical city.

They will pay $150 towards change fees, but the problem is I bought 2 one-way tickets at $98 and $93 each. So it will cost $250 to apply $191 towards a flight and then I'm locked into the airline I use.

And we did use a TA in a famous medical city.

I think, from what the OP wrote, the 'refund' is ONLY in the form of a future cruise credit.

On my "move over offers" - I receive a free cruise plus OBC on the next cruise which equals the cost of my last cruise. What I don't spend, is refundable.

On my "move over offers" - I receive a free cruise plus OBC on the next cruise which equals the cost of my last cruise. What I don't spend, is refundable.

Well, I think we got not a great deal but you can't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Aren't you glad you hadn't cancelled yet??:'):D

Well, I think we got not a great deal but you can't look a gift horse in the mouth.

It's actually possible that the cruise was sold out with a waitlist ... then your TA asked Princess about cancellation ... and, as a goodwill gesture, Princess decided to offer you a refund in the form of a future cruise credit. Hence, your offer wasn't as rich as a typical move over.

I wouldn't be surprised if your TA shared with Princess your dilemna over insurance and your sister's health issues...and, since they likely had someone to fill your cabin, they extended this kindness to you. You'll never really know what transpired ... but at least your loss is mimimal, and you won't havr to twist your BIL's arm to recoup your monies.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Forums mobile app

OP did not get a "move over" offer. Op wanted to cancel and was fortunate that she received a refund pf any kind at all.

Second, you may need to look for a new TA if they let only one of you buy insurance without telling you the pitfalls of that.

They both had insurance. However one had it with Princess and one had it with a credit card company.

The bottom line is that you are happy with what you got and that you are out much less than you feared. Enjoy your time with family (if that is possible)' date=' and cruise again when you are ready.[/quote']

Exactly - you got your money back with little loss and you can take a trip later.

OP did not get a "move over" offer. Op wanted to cancel and was fortunate that she received a refund pf any kind at all.

I wasn't sure what transpired with the TA. I didn't think the TA had called to cancel yet. I thought Princess contacted them.

They both had insurance. However one had it with Princess and one had it with a credit card company.

The original posts indicated she did not know she had cc coverage (or that it was not adequate) as many people thought she was out of pocket for the single supplement should her mother cancel. She also thought so.