Almost 30% Increase in Cost of FTTF???

Shaded Lady

OK so, original poster here... just wanted to calm the waters and stop the vitriol that's been happening on this thread! Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but there's no need to be mean! So play nice or drop off Cruise Critic for the morning until you've had your coffee, or gone to church or something.

Let me say, first of all, I'm a fan of FTTF. I always advocate for people to look at what's offered, and the price, then decide if it is worth it for them. My position hasn't changed. The only reason I made this post is the disappointment at having such a large bump in price happen all at once.

But apparently it doesn't matter. DH & DD talked about it and we'll be paying the extra regardless of the cost! So I guess it's worth it to my family!

What do you mean, "hate"? For $1,200, I would choose 96 hours on a cruise, visiting new ports, over 20 hours of pre-cruise ammenities. We're on a site called "cruise critic", and that's my 2 cents on a cruise related feature, minus this angry emotion you seem to be referring to. You are free to value the two options differently, which is what this site is all about... ;p

Not everyone has to make this budgeting compromise. It's not $1200 for "FTTF" vs "More Cruising." Pick one or the other!! If you have to budget this way, then you can't afford FTTF, it's not for you.

Yes.

I'm amazed at the logic that because its a fun ship that someone means opportunist thieves are not aboard! It would be be absolutely wonderful if there wasn't, but regardless it always pays to keep your possessions safe. Strange to think otherwise I agree.

From an economic perspective, it's similar to like owning an apartment complex. If one has a waiting list, the price is too low. Continue raising prices until one has an average 5% open/available rate...

Gotta love capitalism....

What do you mean, "hate"? For $1,200, I would choose 96 hours on a cruise, visiting new ports, over 20 hours of pre-cruise ammenities. We're on a site called "cruise critic", and that's my 2 cents on a cruise related feature, minus this angry emotion you seem to be referring to. You are free to value the two options differently, which is what this site is all about... ;p

The fact that you took the time to make out an entire imaginary budget consisting of 10 sailings not paying for FTTF and taking a cruise with that "savings" clearly conveys your disdain for the program. Perhaps "hate" was a bit strong, but people sure do feel intense about those who choose to get it!

And according to your logic, why not just tell everyone to stay in cheaper inside cabins for 10 cruises too? After all, they can get a whole other cruise with that savings over balconies or suites. Right?

Do you see how warped such logic is?

Will not change to "per guest" because it would be a logistical nightmare.

The beverage packages are charged per guest and they are not a logistical nightmare. Carnival could easily say that everybody in the stateroom HAS to but FTTF. And this is how they would make extra money:

For the sake of this argument, let’s stay that FTTF normally goes for $99 per stateroom. Under a new “per guest” structure, they could change it to $59 per guest, and make it mandatory that everyone in the stateroom buys it. So $99 now becomes $118 for a double cabin, $177 for a triple and $236 for a quad!

All they have to do is advertise it with a bunch of exclamation marks and the words “New” and “Improved” for people to take the bait. And I can assure that it will sell even better than it sells now!

Not only is it feasible, but it’s a brilliant idea for the Carnival bean counters.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Tapi

The fact that you took the time to make out an entire imaginary budget consisting of 10 sailings not paying for FTTF and taking a cruise with that "savings" clearly conveys your disdain for the program. Perhaps "hate" was a bit strong, but people sure do feel intense about those who choose to get it!

And according to your logic, why not just tell everyone to stay in cheaper inside cabins for 10 cruises too? After all, they can get a whole other cruise with that savings over balconies or suites. Right?

Do you see how warped such logic is?

No historic disdain. In 2015 when we were on Carnival Elation, I believe it was $39.99 or so, for a 5 day cruise. I figured it wasn't for me, but didn't think that was outragious. My original post may have been a bit more cocky than it needed to be, but I don't see any problem with doing the math.

People do choose inside cabins to sail more often, and I'm sure there's an abundance of comments on CC stating so. A woman in Costa Rica told me all about it, that's how they can do a couple Journey cruises per year. I personally don't see anything wrong with that.

The flaw with your comparison is, if I value (A) time spent in Suites or Balconies, then booking multiple (B) Inside Cabins, will not maximize (A). However if I value © general time spent onboard the ship, then saving your FTTF money for a future cruise, would maximize your bang per buck.

Look, I'm comparing one perk of FTTF, for people who only care about early embarkation. I understand that there are different scenario, such as someone who leaves a comfy hotel, to have early buffet, and take a nap in their OV cabin, compared to someone who had an early flight or drive, with a drink package and penthouse suite waiting for them.

I've been wondering why FTTF hasn't come available for my Vista cruise next year... just found out why!

Carnival announced yesterday that the price of FTTF for 7 days increased to $89.95, almost a 30% increase :eek:. I'm sure now that they've been holding adding FTTF to most cruises next year until this increase was announced, so that people wouldn't jump in and buy them at the lower price.

Well hopefully that boneheaded move bites them in the butt, and the net due to increased cost is MORE than offset by those who tell Carnival to stuff FTTF!

While it was marginally valuable to us at one point, they've just elevated it into the realm of outrageously priced!

When they increased the price the last time they did this, we started pulling the disabled card. I don't like doing that, because we're trying as hard as we can to teach our son that just because he's disabled, the world isn't going to cater to his needs and kiss his booty.

I hate pulling the disability card, but since we basically get the same perks for doing that as we would with purchasing FTTF, it's worth it for us. It's nice to be able to know that we can go straight to our room after lunch and take a nap or relax and let my son watch cable TV (we don't have cable at home..haven't for a few years now because the cost was downright silly) for a little bit before the craziness of muster (even the disabled/special needs muster can get a bit confusing and nuts) and dinner and then the Welcome Aboard show.

They need to price it at about $30 per night of the cruise.

More chance for others to pay bigger bucks, and subsidize the rest of us with lower cruise fares possible because Carnival is making so much extra cash on the people at the front of the line.

Bring on the price increases and keep them coming!

OMG!

I'm one of those swept under the carpet dealing with the old Platinum deal. (Look it up).

So, i went for the original FTTF deal at $49.00 per cabin. Easy enough to swallow, right?

NOW, look at the price. :o

Part of the worth was dropping off our bags, and beating the rush for lunch. With the latest check in time restrictions,(meaning not such a "lunch rush" situation) I wonder if it is truly worth it,

I've always had fttf on all of our cruises. Definitely going to have to rethink it now since we now book suites so the only bonus is cabin is ready. And the separate line at guest services and telephone.

If I do decide it is still worth it for us, I will be watching and complaining if my cabin isn't ready on time. And the dedicated phone line better not be busy which I find it often is!

Worth it and more to use. Normally on other cruise lines it is tied to very expensive rooms like NCL’S Haven or MSC Yacht Club costing thousands. We would buy it at twice the price, but as previous posters have said, it is supply and demand. Someone on a budget is going to ditch it, but there will always be others who will gladly pay a premium for the perks. Just a reality. I really felt I got value for the $ I spent. Opinions vary.

They need to price it at about $30 per night of the cruise.

More chance for others to pay bigger bucks, and subsidize the rest of us with lower cruise fares possible because Carnival is making so much extra cash on the people at the front of the line.

Bring on the price increases and keep them coming!

I'm sure that Carnival charges as much as they can for their cruises. Just like with fttf they look for price points that will keep their ships full while getting as much money as possible. They are charging more for fttf to add to profits not to lower fares for other cruisers.