Found man's wedding band on Allure of the Seas cabin 9329

Two lessons to learn from this :

Consensus is that don't take something which doesn't belong to you. It is the ship's responsibility not yours to handle lost items. IMO you should leave the item in the cabin with a note or hand it in to an officer or guest services.

Don't post on CC because a lot of righteous people who never put a foot wrong will jump on you.

Now for some advice. If you take it upon yourself to find the rightful owner of a lost item then you have to accept that you are left holding the baby. That means making sufficient endeavours to find the rightful owner. In addition to contacting RCI, I would make efforts to find person via SoME (Facebook, twitter). Cabin number, ship, date of sailing and inscription would help with this. I am not convinced that posting on CC alone would help.

Consensus is that don't take something which doesn't belong to you. It is the ship's responsibility not yours to handle lost items. IMO you should leave the item in the cabin with a note or hand it in to an officer or guest services.

Don't post on CC because a lot of righteous people who never put a foot wrong will jump on you.

Now for some advice. If you take it upon yourself to find the rightful owner of a lost item then you have to accept that you are left holding the baby. That means making sufficient endeavours to find the rightful owner. In addition to contacting RCI, I would make efforts to find person via SoME (Facebook, twitter). Cabin number, ship, date of sailing and inscription would help with this. I am not convinced that posting on CC alone would help.

"Concensus is"? Lol whose concensus? Yours?

Edited by time4u2go

Exactly, real effort to find the owner.

I believe that the abuse directed at someone for trying to find the owner via CC, not a lack of intent (however misguided) might be the reason we have not seen OP reply.

Just for the record, men's wedding rings are usually valued in the hundreds not thousands of dollars. With more sentimental value than monetary, I don't think OP really wants to keep this ring.

In the linked articles, it should be noted that the only reason those expensive rings are reported to police as lost or stolen, is so they can be claimed on insurance.

Therefore if the purpose is to make certain the OP never returns to check if the ring's owner surfaces, well done!

If the purpose to to make sure we are all sufficiently afraid to even remove the found item from the safe, well done!

If the purpose is to highlight how ridiculously these statutes can be used by law enforcement / prosecutors and how litigious our society has become, unqualified success has been achieved.

Here’s one worth a lot more

https://www.frontjewelers.net/wedding/men-s-diamond-wedding-bands/mens-1-45-ct-black-white-round-diamond-pave-wedding-band-ring-14k-black-gold.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwqM3VBRCwARIsAKcekb0OAnL7ueONFSp_FUaDMsg6gHCPj1eH_HD3_kj6E6Wp8X_TR6d47LQaAqz0EALw_wcB

Not to mention, larceny is defined as a taking of property. Petty larceny, under Florida law, is taking property valued at under $300, and subjects one to 6 months in jail and a $1,000 fine.

Edited by songbird1329

I always check the inside of the safe when we get in the room before I put anything in it. In more than 20 cruises, we have never found anything in the safe. We did find a t-shirt in a bag in the room once and turned it in to GS. I am of the belief, if I find something, I turn it in. Honestly, anyone posting a found item on here have about a 1% chance at most of the owner seeing the post or even hearing about it as most cruisers have never even heard of CC. If I lost something on a ship, the first thing I'd do is contact the cruiseline, not search online.

As for the cost of men's wedding rings, yes, the average cost is less than 1K, but my DH's ring cost more. It's an upgrade, so you never know.

I'd much rather know that I can contact RCI and find out my item was turned in than have to deal with a third party.

I'll also bet that more items are returned by RCI than by cruisers who find them and take them with them. For every person who reports here they found something, there are plenty of people who will keep it. So, don't assume employees are more likely to steal. It's just not correct. I'm amazed by how many people live by "finders keepers".

Here’s one worth a lot more

https://www.frontjewelers.net/wedding/men-s-diamond-wedding-bands/mens-1-45-ct-black-white-round-diamond-pave-wedding-band-ring-14k-black-gold.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwqM3VBRCwARIsAKcekb0OAnL7ueONFSp_FUaDMsg6gHCPj1eH_HD3_kj6E6Wp8X_TR6d47LQaAqz0EALw_wcB

Not to mention, larceny is defined as a taking of property. Petty larceny, under Florida law, is taking property valued at under $300, and subjects one to 6 months in jail and a $1,000 fine.

We have got to be kidding with all this right? First we had the Morality Police flashing his badge. Now we have Lawyer Joe here talking larceny and jail time. It's a mans wedding ring...likely not worth the time she has invested in it at this point. The OP made a spur of the moment decision and is now making an effort to track down it's owner.

This is what is going wrong in the world we live in. We automatically assume the worst in everyone and immediately start talking about suing someone.

How do we know the OP hasn't been in contact with RCCI? How do we know these boards are only just one of many avenues the OP has tried to reunite it with the owner? How do we know if the OP's plans are just to mail it back to RCCI if she isn't successful in finding the owner on her own? The answer is...we don't. Because the OP has likely disappeared from these boards because everybody who apparently has only ever made 100% the perfect and morally/legal right decisions are bashing them and people talking about locking him/her up in jail for the rest of their life (sense the sarcasm).

Isn't easier to just assume the OP is trying to do the right thing? Maybe offer them some useful ideas on how else they might track down the owner or what he/she should do with it? And if you believe he/she is worst person ever, then just continue scrolling to the next post and save your negativity for somewhere else?

Isn't easier to just assume the OP is trying to do the right thing? Maybe offer them some useful ideas on how else they might track down the owner or what he/she should do with it? And if you believe he/she is worst person ever, then just continue scrolling to the next post and save your negativity for somewhere else?

How come you don't criticize those who assume RCI employees are thieves and if an item is turned into them, there's no chance of it getting back to the owner?:confused::confused:

Did the OP make a bad choice? IMO, yes. I've only been on three cruises, and even I know there's plenty of opportunity to turn things in on the last day without taking up too much time.

Even if they were truly in a rush and didn't trust anyone they saw while walking off the ship and leaving the port, I would thing the first step would be to contact the cruise line saying "We were in room xxxx on xxx ship and found a ring in the safe. We still have it, but can send it back to you or on to the owner if you know who it is".

We have got to be kidding with all this right? First we had the Morality Police flashing his badge. Now we have Lawyer Joe here talking larceny and jail time. It's a mans wedding ring...likely not worth the time she has invested in it at this point. The OP made a spur of the moment decision and is now making an effort to track down it's owner.

This is what is going wrong in the world we live in. We automatically assume the worst in everyone and immediately start talking about suing someone.

How do we know the OP hasn't been in contact with RCCI? How do we know these boards are only just one of many avenues the OP has tried to reunite it with the owner? How do we know if the OP's plans are just to mail it back to RCCI if she isn't successful in finding the owner on her own? The answer is...we don't. Because the OP has likely disappeared from these boards because everybody who apparently has only ever made 100% the perfect and morally/legal right decisions are bashing them and people talking about locking him/her up in jail for the rest of their life (sense the sarcasm).

What I don't understand is why the OP deserves the benefit of doubt while the entire crew of a ship can be labelled thieves.

How come you don't criticize those who assume RCI employees are thieves and if an item is turned into them, there's no chance of it getting back to the owner?:confused::confused:

Because it's not as much about them being thieves as it is the system. There is a bit of an older show out there that shows what change over day is like on the Oasis. It is crazy and hectic for the crew to say the least. The OP hands it to a crew member who is probably doing a specific job and can't immediately take it to the "lost and found" and it gets put in a pocket and then who knows where it ends up (falls out, gets put through the ships laundry, etc.) Or, say it makes it to the lost and found. I can only imagine how many items are in RCCI's lost and found...especially pieces of jewelry. There are probably near as many stories out there about people not having success with a major cruise lines lost and found as there are people who have gotten their stuff back. It's just the nature of the beast.

I know a guy whose luggage was missing from the warehouse at the end of the cruise. It was found and mailed back to him a few days later. When he opened it up there was two fairly nice men's watches sitting on the top of his stuff. He called the cruise line and they pretty much told they had no idea where they came from and to just keep them. Just an example of how things can get mixed up behind the scenes.

Did the OP make a bad choice? IMO, yes. I've only been on three cruises, and even I know there's plenty of opportunity to turn things in on the last day without taking up too much time.

Maybe it was a bad choice. Maybe there are ten other choices they could have made that would yield the near same probability of success of the item getting back to the owner...all of which someone would find to be a bad choice. They point is if all you have to offer is endless criticism then just don't comment and move on to the next post (it's not like they stole someones baby from the ship...once again, extreme example...sense the sarcasm). They posted here to try to find the owner...not get endlessly criticized for a decision that is over and done with. Probably just discouraging them from the process.

I have never understood why on all message boards (not exclusive to CC) why people choose to criticize, put down, or bully others. Aren't we all here because we have a common interest in cruising and want to get and give useful information.

Even if they were truly in a rush and didn't trust anyone they saw while walking off the ship and leaving the port, I would thing the first step would be to contact the cruise line saying "We were in room xxxx on xxx ship and found a ring in the safe. We still have it, but can send it back to you or on to the owner if you know who it is".

Apparently you didn't read my entire post. For all we know they have contacted the cruise line and taken those steps. We don't know because they probably got tired of reading all the legal trouble and jail time he/she is facing and isn't posting here anymore for fear of the backlash. Once again...we just assume they are the worst person ever.

It's been a long time since you got a wedding band I guess. My band cost $800 3 years ago.:):)

Bought one about 8 months ago actually. Think it was about $100-$125...ish. I know I never looked at anything that was more than $200...all of the tungsten, titanium, carbon fiber variety because I am active and relatively handy and work with my hands at times...so the golds and titanium types do not appeal to me. Besides...I am just guessing here...but thinking men are more apt to lose and/or damage their ring than women are. Just an assumption. And I can say the same for most all my friends/family that are married...they all have something similar and in that price range...except one friend who does happen to have an expensive ring. So yes...I am making a generalization here based on my personal experience.

My guess....person took it with good intentions. Maybe, they want to personally reunite it with their respective owner in hopes of a reward, or maybe they're just nice people...who knows the real answer.....at least the person didn't keep it , sell it at a pawn store and keep the cash for themselves. Tough crowd here......Best of luck! You guys are tough! I love it!

Lawyer Jane, actually, and if you read everything I wrote, you’d realize that yes, the OP, however well intentioned, made a very poor decision. Best if he/she simply left the ring in the safe.

It's been a long time since you got a wedding band I guess. My band cost $800 3 years ago.:):)

Bought mine 4 years ago. Titanium and cost $99 plus tax. I don’t know anyone that paid more than a $300 for their ring. I’m sure some do but now alternative metals are in favor and they are very cheap and durable.

Lawyer Jane, actually, and if you read everything I wrote, you’d realize that yes, the OP, however well intentioned, made a very poor decision. Best if he/she simply left the ring in the safe.

He did not make a poor decision. Your legal opinion (and it is an opinion not fact) doesn’t make his decision a bad one. He did make make a decision, and it was under significant time constraints (assuming we take his story as fact) and with limited ability to discuss it with any appropriate company representative.

The lines are insane when one departs so to judge this person is ridiculous. I would never hand a ring to just any worker and one can reasonably assume it was best to keep it safe and go to corporate later which is likely what he did. I’ve had a couple things of value lost in the past and guess what. When I called the company they had it. When I got there it was gone. Never got it back. Another time someone got my number from the item as they kept it to try to find me and I got it back. Lost and found is hit and miss and I’m sure even more so on turn around day on a huge ship.

Any opinion that he made a bad decision is silly. How was this a bad decision for him? Like his life is ruined now? He is going to jail? I guarantee nothing negative will happen to him based on his decision. Or is it just that he doesn’t get your online lawyer approval (love to hear what law school you went to) so it was a bad decision?

I think the only person to make the bad decision was the guy who left his ring in the safe. Let’s put blame where it is due.

I actually did read what you wrote. Which is why I am so baffled at the absurdity of all this...that we are calling this a "very poor decision" and citing laws and talking about jail time. What I realize is this is on a whole new level of ridiculousness.

Bought mine 4 years ago. Titanium and cost $99 plus tax. I don’t know anyone that paid more than a $300 for their ring. I’m sure some do but now alternative metals are in favor and they are very cheap and durable.

How does the imagined monetary value of the ring affect the situation?

Is it a certainty that the owner did not place much value on it? If so, why put it in the safe in the first place.

Is it a certainty that the spouse did not value the piece? How much grief might the owner receive for being so careless?

Is it a certainty that the purchaser did not actually pay more than the average? The only description is a "man's wedding band" "has an inscription". On this flimsy description people are willing to presume a value.

I would never hand a ring to just any worker

What are the odds of recognizing, after even a short time has elapsed, a 'virtually anonymous' individual that you've only seen in passing? "Yeah, I think that's the guy I gave it to, but I can't be sure."

I think the only person to make the bad decision was the guy who left his ring in the safe. Let’s put blame where it is due.

+1 (Was waiting for someone to say that.)

What are the odds of recognizing, after even a short time has elapsed, a 'virtually anonymous' individual that you've only seen in passing? "Yeah, I think that's the guy I gave it to, but I can't be sure."

+1 (Was waiting for someone to say that.)

Do you know any adult who does not have a camera on their person most of the time?

My hubby found a ring in our cabin, we got a call from previous guests in that cabin, she asked that I emailed her. She didn't ask me to hand it to guest relations, She left two different email addresses. I emailed her she never replied, we took ring home, along with tel msg we had written down. I spent uncountable hours trying to locate the owner with no joy. I used social media, contacted cruiseline with no success. Almost two years later I found the owner.

The lady and her husband were delighted, it was very valuable. She was reunited with her ring. Turns out she gave me wrong email addresses she had missed out details, probably due to stress at the time. She had moved house three times. But good outcome for her. Years of work for me.

My hubby found a ring in our cabin, we got a call from previous guests in that cabin, she asked that I emailed her. She didn't ask me to hand it to guest relations, She left two different email addresses. I emailed her she never replied, we took ring home, along with tel msg we had written down. I spent uncountable hours trying to locate the owner with no joy. I used social media, contacted cruiseline with no success. Almost two years later I found the owner.

The lady and her husband were delighted, it was very valuable. She was reunited with her ring. Turns out she gave me wrong email addresses she had missed out details, probably due to stress at the time. She had moved house three times. But good outcome for her. Years of work for me.

Did they contact the cruiseline and ask if the ring was found? I assume they did because she got your name from somewhere?

If so, she would have gotten it back a lot sooner than 2 years

I agree. I'm guessing that if you just gave it to a crew member on your way off the ship, there's maybe a 50/50 shot of it actually making it to the lost and found department.

You know of no such thing! You think only 50% of the crew members and or guest relations staff is honest? I would have put it in an envelope with found cabin #.... and handed it to a guest relations employee. No need to wait in a line