TransAtlantic West to East on Explorer

flossie009

DAY 2 (Thursday)

A lazy afternoon then Captain’s welcome reception. All the guests scrubbed up well for the event; plenty of long and short dresses with suitable bling for the ladies; most gentlemen wore suits or jackets with a number sporting ties as well - not a polo shirt in sight and only one pair of white jeans spotted!!

And what would be so wrong with a *polo shirt"? After all, if we men wanted to wear suits/tuxedo's, ties and bow-ties we would be sailing with the likes of Cunard.

Nothing wrong with a polo shirt, but its good most make the effort to wear a formal shirt. You do not have to wear a tie!! It's hardly tuxedos on Cunard .I always have a jacket with me anyway as that's my pockets /bag when travelling for wallet , passports etc

Nothing wrong with a polo shirt, but its good most make the effort to wear a formal shirt. You do not have to wear a tie!! It's hardly tuxedos on Cunard .I always have a jacket with me anyway as that's my pockets /bag when travelling for wallet , passports etc

Yes, I can see why sometimes a man may wish to wear a jacket but as I have to wear a suit to work, I prefer to be more casual when on holiday - one of the reasons to chose Regent. However, I was just curious why the poster appeared to be "looking down" on anyone wearing a "polo shirt", despite it clearly meeting Regent after 6pm dress requirements.

Susan and David, just out of curiosity, have you been in the Deluxe Veranda suites on the Navigator or Voyager? I am interested to know how you would compare them to the Superior Suite that you are on now.

For us, even though the square footage in higher on the Explorer Superior suite, because of the way it is laid out, it was our impression that we felt just a tad cramped in it. We never felt that way on the Deluxe Veranda suites on the other ships.

It could just be our imagination, it's been a while since we were on the other ships, but I am curious at to what you impression is.

We did think that the suite is gorgeous, and the bathroom fabulous.

Bob

Bob, we like the roomy de-luxe Veranda suites on Voyager but for us the D, E & F suites score in a number of ways.

First, the storage is so much better; with copious drawers in the suite, closet and bathroom.

Unfortunately when Voyager (and Navigator) were refurbished the drawers in the suite were removed. A very annoying move by the ship designers, who appeared to be in love with style over practicality.

Second, the bathrooms in the D, E & F suites on Explorer are marginally better. Double hand basins and a larger, well equipped shower.

Voyager scores with wider balcony windows and from memory a slightly larger more comfortable couch.

The suites on Explore would benefit from an extra small chair or stool.

We have never felt cramped in our F2 suite.

Stephane is a fantastic F&B; you are lucky. Say hi to Nicola from Arlene and Marc; we had a great time sailing with her on Voyager last year.

Marc & Arlene,

Nicola thanks you for thinking of her and sends back her best wishes :D

All the staff & crew are doing a fantastic job on Explorer.

F&B, service and entertainment has been top notch thus far.

Yes, I can see why sometimes a man may wish to wear a jacket but as I have to wear a suit to work, I prefer to be more casual when on holiday - one of the reasons to chose Regent. However, I was just curious why the poster appeared to be "looking down" on anyone wearing a "polo shirt", despite it clearly meeting Regent after 6pm dress requirements.

nigelc,

I am so sorry. It was not my intention to “look down” on anyone wearing a polo shirt.

It is just my personal opinion that polo shirts are more suitable as daywear rather than evening, particularly when attending a function such as the Captain’s Reception.

Most guests on this cruise appear to agree.

nigelc,

I am so sorry. It was not my intention to “look down” on anyone wearing a polo shirt.

It is just my personal opinion that polo shirts are more suitable as daywear rather than evening, particularly when attending a function such as the Captain’s Reception.

Most guests on this cruise appear to agree.

Hi Flossie,

Hope you are having a good time on Explorer. I am following your "thread" with some interest, as I join Explorer on 12 April 18 and, like you, have booked an F2 cabin. In relation to your "polo shirt" comment, there is certainly no need to apologise, as you say we are all entitled to our opinion. I just found it a little strange given Regents policy.

First, the storage is so much better; with copious drawers in the suite, closet and bathroom.

Unfortunately when Voyager (and Navigator) were refurbished the drawers in the suite were removed. A very annoying move by the ship designers, who appeared to be in love with style over practicality.

!!!!!!Very disappointed to hear that as I am cruising in that category suite on the Voyager in June.. Agree, the drawer space in our Explorer suite was amazing, I felt as if I could bring my entire wardrobe. I'm not sure what I will do with no drawers, live out of my suitcase?

!!!!!!Very disappointed to hear that as I am cruising in that category suite on the Voyager in June.. Agree, the drawer space in our Explorer suite was amazing, I felt as if I could bring my entire wardrobe. I'm not sure what I will do with no drawers, live out of my suitcase?

There are drawers in the closet. The ones they had taken out are along the wall where the desk and mini fridge are located. There used to be wall mounted cabinets for the glassware, etc above the desk, and drawers for storage below. Those drawers are now gone, and that is the cabinet for glassware.

There are drawers in the closet. The ones they had taken out are along the wall where the desk and mini fridge are located. There used to be wall mounted cabinets for the glassware, etc above the desk, and drawers for storage below. Those drawers are now gone, and that is the cabinet for glassware.

W-a-a-a-h!:loudcry:

DAYS 4 & 5 (Sat 24th & Sun 25th)

Having survived our voyage along one edge of the Bermuda Triangle we enjoyed two days in port (Kings Wharf, Bermuda) before embarking on our journey across the Atlantic.

Saturday was extremely windy with occasional squally rain showers.

Captain Stan obviously had his work cut out to bring us alongside. It took full power from a tugboat plus the ships thrusters to overcome the wind.

We took a tour around Bermuda in small minivans.

Many guests got soaked when the heavens opened as we made the 500 yard dash from the ship to where the vans were waiting; many umbrellas turned inside out in the high winds.

However, the weather brightened as the tour progressed and the wind was much less severe on the other side of the islands.

In St George’s we watched the ducking of an errant wife in the harbour tied to an ancient ducking stool ............... hopefully a reenactment, but who can tell :eek:

Our driver/guide was informative and entertaining.

On our return we had a quick snack to keep us going until another splendid dinner in Compass Rose.

Evening entertainment was a local musician on steel drum early evening and then a dance party in the Atrium later.

Sunday we woke to much improved weather; the wind had dropped and the day was mostly sunny.

We therefore decided to embark on our booked glass-bottomed-boat trip. We were glad we did as we enjoyed the trip and saw coral reefs, numerous fish and a shipwreck. Again an entertaining guide.

(We chose the right day for this trip as both departures the day before had been cancelled because of the high winds)

On our return we took a walk around the old naval dockyard (now mainly shops) before returning to the ship for lunch in Chartreuse. We made better choices today and enjoyed a pleasant leisurely meal.

After lunch, and the ship’s departure, David headed for the lecture on Vikings (slept through much of it due to over indulgence in red wine at lunch) while Susan made the best of the sunshine on the Pool Deck.

Compass Rose was our dinner venue, sharing a table as is our preference.

It was then off to John Barron’s show in the theatre. John entertained the packed house with his exuberant mix of singing and humour, backed by the seven strong Regent Orchestra. An excellent show rightly deserving a standing ovation.

Sorry, not many photos of Bermuda as I had forgotten to charge my phone before setting off on tour :(

Thanks David & Susan for another wonderful on board report for days four and five. Read with interest your experience in Bermuda; Ida and I will have a July Bermuda weekend visit with cruise friends (met on Mariner last month) who live in Bermuda.

Hope your Atlantic cross yields Fair Winds and Following Seas.

Look forward to more reports and photos--thank you.

In the past there have been a number of questions about what activities there are on sea days.

Today is our first in a number of consecutive sea days crossing the Atlantic from Bermuda to Madeira.

Scheduled activities range from indoor & outdoor games to lectures, wine tasting, dance classes and a film.

Below is the schedule from “Passages” for today (hope it is readable)

134abaeccf249d0697596ddeb56cf694.jpg

1c0848b7a066bbf8435c11d4f7cd4f3e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk