TransAtlantic West to East on Explorer

flossie009

All I can say is WOW, what an enjoyable cruise your having. Funchal is my favorite port on a TA which we enjoy. Your photos are great and take me back to our last cruise in November. Thanks so much for taking the time to post, can't wait to see what you have to say about the SS Mariner crossing. We board her in Miami April 18th----have a enjoyable and safe journey. Rick

DAY 12 (Sun 1st April)

A quadruple whammy today

1. All Fools Day
  2. Easter Day
  3. First of April
  4. Sunday sea day

.......... and what do each of these equate to when cruising on Seven Seas Explorer?

1. Water skiing behind the ship ;)
  2. Easter hunt around the ship :)
  3. Regent increasing their prices :(
  4. Sunday Brunch :D

We didn’t join in the first two and had avoided the third with a visit to the Cruise Consultant earlier in the cruise.

We did however indulge in the impressive spread laid out in Compass Rose for brunch. Very tasty.

At 5pm Regent organised a cocktail party for the 30+ guests who are transferring to Mariner when we reach Barcelona.

Andreas (GM), Odul (Exec Concierge) and Luke (Destinations Manager) were on hand to explain the arrangements and to answer questions. They seemed to have all options covered.

As long as we have an enjoyable morning in Barcelona aand we and our luggage successfully board Mariner we will be happy.

As well as transferring our luggage we are hopeful that Regent will pack and transport the missing hours from this crossing so that they can be returned to us as we travel westbound on Mariner.

5:45pm was the production show “The Music of Peggy Lee”. We remember reading less than favourable reviews about this show on these Boards, but we enjoyed it. Excellent singing, dancing & costumes - plus a live orchestra was good to see.

Dinner at a shared table in Chartreuse was very good; both of us having the fois gras terrine followed by sea bass. David followed with cheese from the trolley (always good in Chartreuse) while Susan had the Chocolate Napoleon. All washed down with Sancerre.

The 9:30pm show was a magician/comedian, John Lenahan. Very entertaining.

Entertainment this cruise has been excellent and plentiful. A superb Production Cast, good visiting performers, two good lecturers, Boogie & Kasia plus pianist Deborah in the lounges, shows from both CD John and asst CD David with Krew Kapers still to come.

DAY 10 (Fri 30th March)

At sea again today.

Woke up late and spent a fairly lazy day.

Lunch in La Veranda - a delicious buffet spread of hot & cold dishes as usual.

Then we both attended Bill Fowler’s fascinating lecture on “The Fishing Crisis in the North Atlantic” which was all about the catastrophic depletion of Codfish caused by over-fishing.

Dinner in Compass Rose with an American couple who we met previously during a pre-cruise safari. It is so good to meet up with old friends on Regent cruises and to hopefully make new friends as well.

The show in the theatre tonight was “Broadway in Concert” - songs from the shows performed by the singers from the Production Cast, backed by the Regent orchestra. They are all superb singers and it was a packed house for a very enjoyable show.

DAY 11 (Sat 31st March)

Dinner in Pacific Rim was exceptional and we just made it to the theatre for David Nevin’s show.

What a talented singer with such a varied repertoire. His performance was made even better by the duet he sang with his girlfriend (another very talented singer) who had just joined him. She boarded in Madeira for a holiday on board with David; they had been away from each other for 2 months.

We were on the Explorer in February and heard David Nevin perform. He was in much better voice on this cruise. His girl friend screeches. What more need I say? The duet performers ( Five O'clock Somewhere) were terrible and I walked out, as did others. Finally, a pianist named Linda Gentille banged away all evening, so much so that my ears were ringing. Worse yet, she added so many grace notes and glissandi that the songs were virtually unrecognizable. Very disappointing, as she had received a big build up.

The performances on the February cruise were outstanding across the board, and I actually was looking forward to each night's show. On this TA, however, they fell flat except for the house singers and dancers and an amusing evening with John Lenahan. The enrichment talks were excellent, as were the service and dining.

Your review is excellent, Flossie,, a perfect blend of opinions and experiences, plus the pictures. Thanks

Edited by BosoxI

Ok. In the desert pic, why is there a bald eagle lurking over the cute bunnies? Some crew members idea of humor? I am trying to figure this one. ��

J

Not to worry, this pic was taken on the previous cruise's Sunday brunch, not there to frighten cute bunnies!:D

62b6a0e2192e428f10c8d618d61434c1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

DAY 13 (2nd April)

A walking tour of the centre of Malaga this morning followed by traditional Flamenco dancing - a male & female dancer accompanied by a singer and a guitar.

A very talented group and very intense in their artistry.

Returned to the ship just in time for lunch in Prime 7; both this and Chartreuse are excellent venues on Explorer.

A little packing preparation in the afternoon and then a game of Bocce on the Sports Deck - Regent Rewards in abundance from a generous dancer from the Production Cast :cool:

Krew Kapers In the theatre was very well performed and then up to the Observation Lounge for pre-dinner drinks.

Dinner in Compass Rose with new friends who we met during our tour in Funchal the other day. Such good company that the wine & conversation kept flowing till late.

Missed all the entertainment this evening and just flopped into our comfortable Regent bed.

DAY 14 (Tues 3rd April)

The day started early, at 03:30, with Captain Stan making an announcement in the suites that Explorer was engaged in a search and rescue operation for a passenger who had gone overboard from another cruise ship (see separate thread for details).

Due to this we missed our intended port, Alicante, and spent the last day of the cruise at sea.

We rose late, after the commotion during the night, and took mid-morning coffee in the suite.

John Barron and his team had re-scheduled the day’s events (extra lectures etc) since the day had now become an unplanned sea day. An amended Passages was delivered to the suite detailing the new schedule. All very professionally handled.

A delicious lunch in Chartreuse then packing in the afternoon.

Dinner in Compass Rose with old friends from the UK, then off to finalise the packing and put the luggage out for collection.

Boogie & Kasia were rocking in the Atrium - what a fabulous duo.

We will be sad to leave Explorer tomorrow :(

...................... but we will be joining a refreshed Mariner :D

More reports in a few days. Hopefully we will be joined by a few other bloggers on the westbound crossing :cool:

Susan and David; thanks so much for taking us on board with you tho vicariously & digitally your posts were informed, enthusiastic and joyful. Safe travels home...did u book another cruise on board?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The talented duo “Boogie & Kasia”

0e824d339d7199423c7fa3dac0f9668f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My wife and I LOVE Boogie and Kasia,:hearteyes: thanks for acknowledging them.

And thanks for a great trip report, looking forward to part 2.

Bob

We have enjoyed your posts and pictures, thank you. Hope we get a chance to meet you on the crossing. Do Boogie & Kasia stay on Explorer, any chance they are transfering to Mariner?

I asked Kasia this on the last cruise. She said that they will be on the Explorer until mid June, then home until October. The current plan is for them to be on the Mariner from October of '18 to June of' 19, but she says that it "is not set in stone."

Bob