Grand Voyage Questions

Teddy from MV

We are on a 20 day cruise from Southampton to Stockholm that is considered a Grand Voyage, The Northern Interlude. We do not need to change cabins. What happens when we return to Southampton for the second part of the cruise when passengers will be embarking and disembarking? There are no Oceania excursions posted for that day and we want to plan a private excursion, but are not sure what time we will be able to get off. Will we need to check-in again or can we just get off with the disembarking passengers and return later in the day? Will we be getting new card keys?

Does anyone have a good suggestion on what to do around Southampton? We have visited London a few times and will be spending 2 days there before the cruise starts so are not interested in visiting there. Will there be tour companies at the port that we can use or do we need to pre-book? :):)

When you book a grand voyage, You receive a key card for the entire cruise.

As far as things to do around Southampton, we hired a driver a few years ago to see the New Forest area. It’s a beautiful area with forests and small villages.

When you book a grand voyage, You receive a key card for the entire cruise.

As far as things to do around Southampton, we hired a driver a few years ago to see the New Forest area. It’s a beautiful area with forests and small villages.

Thanks for the information. I will check into the New Forest Area.

Shari

they may have excursions for turnaround passengers but you may not get notice until later in the 1st segment

You could always take a day trip to Portsmouth on the train or Winchester

Edited by LHT28

I have never seen anybody offering tours at Southampton cruise terminals. There will be taxis of course, but you will really need to pre-arrange a tour. I suggest you go over to the British Isles ports of call board here on Cruisecritic for advice on tours.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the information. I will check into the New Forest Area.

Shari

If you like automobile history, be sure to visit the National Motor Museum in Beaulieu. It is in the center of New Forest and was fascinating to me. Their website gives directions and travel options for getting there.

We may be on the same cruise. Nautica 7/30-9/2? I believe that you will get a new card on the last day of the first segment. You will be able to walk off the ship as soon as it is cleared. There are not any tour providers at the port, so as another poster stated, you should make prior arrangements for whatever tour you may want to take. The ship usually provides a special lunch for continuing cruisers, but we will probably not take advantage of that. We have not made any plans for our day in Southampton yet. If it is a nice day, we may take the train to Stonehenge.

one of the really nice things you can do is tell your room steward that you won't need him/her for that turnaround day.

We always ask for just fresh towels and assure the room steward that we can make our own bed.

They have so many rooms to strip and get ready for the next bunch of cruisers that they will be deeply appreciative.

try this for some additional info: https://www.whatsinport.com/Southampton.htm

Highclere castle. About an hour away (depending on traffic of course)

I think i have seen this question before on CC and the answer was that there will be tours organised but not available yet. We are on a GV next month and Montreal is the turn round port and there are tours on line for both days (same tours)

You have to book in advance to be sure of entry to Highclere Castle. I too have never seen tours being offered at Southampton and whilst there are taxis they are usually looking for transfers to train/plane/London. There are companies offering tours if you look on line.

Popular destinations nearby Stonehenge, Salisbury & Winchester Cathedrals, New Forest,Beaulieu

We were able to take an independent (non-cruise ship) excursion to Stonehenge and Salisbury Cathedral while in port. We used International Friends.

Another option, if you're tired of being on excursions, is to walk into town. There is a large shopping mall about 1/2 mile from the ship.