Anytime dining - 'forced' to wait and take beeper

voljeep

I've never had a problem with anytime dining if I show up by 6PM or 6:10 at the latest. After that I'd either wait till 7:30+ or eat somewhere else. I love the pull pork sandwich at the Trident Grill when they have it. Lido Buffet can be use in a pinch. Going hungry on a cruise ship is impossible. Most ships room service has been great but on my last cruise they no longer had a couple of my favorites and we we're not impressed, that was on the Regal in January.

The early 5:30 traditional is just too early IMHO.

framer

Human nature is a funny thing...and it leads some folks to be masochistic (perhaps because they truly want something to whine about). A good friend of ours recently complained that he is always running through airports (and he has even missed some of his flights). I suggested that maybe he should go to the airport a bit earlier....but he says that is not his style :).

It is the same on cruise ships. If too many folks want to dine at 6:30....there are going to be issues with lines, service, etc. But those folks keep doing the same thing (dining at 6:30) and then complaining about the lines, waits, slow service, etc. If we suggest they dine at 7:45 they will often say "but we don't want to eat that late" and we suggest dining at 5:30 they will say "we don't want to eat that early." Many of these are the same folks that will go to the Lido at Noon for lunch and them complain its crowded and slow. When we tell them it is not crowded or slow at 12:45 they will say, "but we want to eat at noon."

So, folks can continue to whine here on CC about the dining issue....but there is a simple solution which is to simply change their personal schedule. Otherwise, just continue to complain :).

Hank

Bingo!

We have done Anytime Dining for years but in the past 18 months it has gotten really bad. We went back to traditional because we were sick of the lines and length of wait for a table. On our past four cruises, Club Class occupied almost a 1/3rd of one of the Anytime Dining Room and the majority of tables were empty. I hope this is one thing that goes away because it appears to only be servicing a few and upsetting many. We never had issues until Club Class was started. If you just got off a cruise make sure you notify them about your dissatisfaction in the survey because Princess won't fix the issue until they get a ton of negative feedback.

we feel the same way. We used to do AD but found we had to wait forever to eat. One of us (me!) gets very grumpy when she doesn't eat, so we switched to the a traditional seating in the MDR. For us, best decision we ever made. We've had wonderful people sitting with us everytime and have a lot of fun.

Human nature is a funny thing...and it leads some folks to be masochistic (perhaps because they truly want something to whine about). A good friend of ours recently complained that he is always running through airports (and he has even missed some of his flights). I suggested that maybe he should go to the airport a bit earlier....but he says that is not his style :).

It is the same on cruise ships. If too many folks want to dine at 6:30....there are going to be issues with lines, service, etc. But those folks keep doing the same thing (dining at 6:30) and then complaining about the lines, waits, slow service, etc. If we suggest they dine at 7:45 they will often say "but we don't want to eat that late" and we suggest dining at 5:30 they will say "we don't want to eat that early." Many of these are the same folks that will go to the Lido at Noon for lunch and them complain its crowded and slow. When we tell them it is not crowded or slow at 12:45 they will say, "but we want to eat at noon."

So, folks can continue to whine here on CC about the dining issue....but there is a simple solution which is to simply change their personal schedule. Otherwise, just continue to complain :).

Hank

Spot on Hank. First world problems aren't they?

We don't do traditional dining as the 5.30pm is too early for us so we just cop anytime dining and accept the wait if there is one, although our maximum wait has been 20 minutes tops. Take a beeper and sit down and have a drink or be prepared to share tables. Go to the later show, whatever. I agree though that NO reservations should be taken for ATD as it just defeats the purpose of it.

Hi everyone i guess i'm going to ask a stupid question...I have never done anytime, i am set for that now and they told me if i wanted i could go to a time slot etc..but can i make a reservation in the anytime?

Also it seems that most cruise lines have taken away the best meals and moved to the specialty dinning. what day during the cruise mine is 11 day would you go to one of those restaurants? And in the anytime dining do you still get to see the show from your waiter etc.?

Thanks

Sandy

Hi everyone i guess i'm going to ask a stupid question...I have never done anytime, i am set for that now and they told me if i wanted i could go to a time slot etc..but can i make a reservation in the anytime?

Also it seems that most cruise lines have taken away the best meals and moved to the specialty dinning. what day during the cruise mine is 11 day would you go to one of those restaurants? And in the anytime dining do you still get to see the show from your waiter etc.?

Thanks

Sandy

If you consider a show from your waiter as serving food & clearing dirty dishes, then yes.

Hi everyone i guess i'm going to ask a stupid question...I have never done anytime, i am set for that now and they told me if i wanted i could go to a time slot etc..but can i make a reservation in the anytime? Some ships allow some reservations in Anytime, some do not. You need to ask once on the ship.

Also it seems that most cruise lines have taken away the best meals and moved to the specialty dinning (true -- why give away what people are willing to pay extra for?). what day during the cruise mine is 11 day would you go to one of those restaurants? And in the anytime dining do you still get to see the show from your waiter etc.? Princess waiters do not put on a show. Cruise on Carnival for dancing waiters. Cruise on Royal Caribbean for a waitstaff serenade.

Thanks

Sandy

See comments in red above

And how does that help them compete with the other cruise lines that offer it?

Not well. :(

That's not what I meant. I am saying, let's all look back in our memories (well, at least mine!;)) and remember cruising with just when traditional dining was offered and shows were timed around the dining experience being awhile. Dinner on a cruise was always one of the highlights and memorable times for me (always asked for the biggest table possible to meet others); had a very personable and well handled meal at the main time of 6PM that was just right(!); with time to leisurely walk to the theater to see the show, etc. I really miss those days.

So, in theory, when they started ATD, it sounded good. Or maybe they knew ahead of the possible repercussions and had CC dining already thought of!!!!! Grin. By the way, who actually started ATD? Was it NCL? Well, whoever it was, I don't like them!!!;p

Pooh

That's not what I meant. I am saying, let's all look back in our memories (well, at least mine!;)) and remember cruising with just when traditional dining was offered and shows were timed around the dining experience being awhile. Dinner on a cruise was always one of the highlights and memorable times for me (always asked for the biggest table possible to meet others); had a very personable and well handled meal at the main time of 6PM that was just right(!); with time to leisurely walk to the theater to see the show, etc. I really miss those days.

So, in theory, when they started ATD, it sounded good. Or maybe they knew ahead of the possible repercussions and had CC dining already thought of!!!!! Grin. By the way, who actually started ATD? Was it NCL? Well, whoever it was, I don't like them!!!;p

Pooh

Boy, are ever talking about a different generation of cruising.

Some things were better & a few weren't. ;)

I don't know where the AT dining started but it wasn't that many years ago for Princess.

There is a simple solution to this...

It's called 'being willing to share a table with others'. Sure it can be a craps shoot - the group one might be paired with, but that's part of the enjoyment of cruising -- Meeting fellow passengers with the benefit of also being able to engage in interesting dinner conversation beyond: "Where are you from?" and "How many and where have you cruised before?".

We've never had to wait more than a minute when willing to dine with others, and have never had a qualm with feeling disrespectful in wanting to skip the dessert course to leave early to catch a show.

This has always held true when my husband and I sail together. But earlier this month my daughters and I were on the Royal and it was a whole different ball of wax. Was it because we had an 18 month old and they were worried about seating us with other people? Or because we were a party of four? I'm not sure, but each time we said we'd take first available and the whole ten day cruise we never got a table with other diners. We had many long waits for dinner. Twice our beeper did not work and after waiting 50 minutes the second time I went to inquire and they said they were having issues with the beepers. We had stayed in the Piazza the whole time.

Maybe people with issues being seated are in groups larger than two?

I was surprised to learn that after a day or two, the AT wait on ISLAND for our recently concluded 60 night South America trip was not bad. We were TD upstairs and I gave up asking people about the AT experience because all seemed happy and no issues. Interesting when some have reported a nightmare for this ship due to increased passenger capacity. And, yes, we were essentially sold out until the odd few had to prematurely leave the cruise or passed away.

I was surprised to learn that after a day or two, the AT wait on ISLAND for our recently concluded 60 night South America trip was not bad. We were TD upstairs and I gave up asking people about the AT experience because all seemed happy and no issues.

Each voyage brings a new set of passengers who have their own thoughts of when they would like to eat. So on one cruise they may be evenly spread out through the evening and on another cruise too many may decide they want to eat at the same time

Each voyage brings a new set of passengers who have their own thoughts of when they would like to eat. So on one cruise they may be evenly spread out through the evening and on another cruise too many may decide they want to eat at the same time

Yes, but this was a voyage full of more elderly folks who tended to eat early and head off to bed early. The public areas were pretty dead after 10pm.

It's not that tables aren't available or waiting to be cleared and reset.

It's a Princess decision

It's either a lack of tableside staff - or - kitchen not being able to get the food out on a

'timely basis'

just off the Regal, and saw this as we were leaving the mdr, plenty of set tables, 2 tops, 4, larger - and saw people getting beepers.

this was about 6:30 as we ate a very early dinner, for us, wanting to do a show at 7

We noticed the same thing. There were an awful lot of beepers being handed out on this ship and a lot of vacant tables. We made reservations and stuck to them. Only a limited number are allowed, at least on this ship, so you had to call when the Dine Line opened at 8 am.

I've never had a problem with anytime dining if I show up by 6PM or 6:10 at the latest. After that I'd either wait till 7:30+ or eat somewhere else. I love the pull pork sandwich at the Trident Grill when they have it. Lido Buffet can be use in a pinch. Going hungry on a cruise ship is impossible. Most ships room service has been great but on my last cruise they no longer had a couple of my favorites and we we're not impressed, that was on the Regal in January.

The early 5:30 traditional is just too early IMHO.

framer

7:30 was no better on the Regal. There were so many unoccupied tables and they were giving out beepers. Maybe going in at 8 or 8:30 would have helped. Not sure as we don't like to eat that late.

I was surprised to learn that after a day or two, the AT wait on ISLAND for our recently concluded 60 night South America trip was not bad. We were TD upstairs and I gave up asking people about the AT experience because all seemed happy and no issues. Interesting when some have reported a nightmare for this ship due to increased passenger capacity. And, yes, we were essentially sold out until the odd few had to prematurely leave the cruise or passed away.

I have found that South American trips and European trips where the number of american travelers is a lower percentage of the passengers, the early rush goes away. Passengers from South America and parts of Europe tend to eat later TD use is more even.

I have found that South American trips and European trips where the number of american travelers is a lower percentage of the passengers, the early rush goes away. Passengers from South America and parts of Europe tend to eat later TD use is more even.

I meant to say Anytime use is more spread out and even,