Anytime dining - 'forced' to wait and take beeper

voljeep

We have been doing Anytime Dining since its original implementation and have not noticed changes other then the fact that more and more passengers choose this option. But we have noticed that many cruisers simply do not use common sense when it comes to dining. Assume a dining room opens at 5:30. Most of those tables are not going to be turned until around 7:15 - 7:30! And yet you have this big flood of diners that want to eat between 6:30 and 7:00 when earlier diners are still eating, two of the MDRs are still dedicated to Early Fixed Dining (one of those MDRs is released for Anytime...around 7:30). For those of us who dine after 7:45 there is usually very little waiting time...plus the waiters are more relaxed since they do not have to be concerned with turning over the tables of those later diners.

As to the complaint about taking 1 1/2 hours for diner...the MDR was never intended to be a "fast food joint." 1 1/2 - 2 hours is a pretty normal time for dining in most decent restaurants (we could debate the "decent" term). Sometimes the waiters can push things along...but with reduced staff and more tables the waiters are always being pulled in many directions at the same time. If you want to dine fast, go to the Lido where you can gulp done your dinner in 10 minutes!

DW and I always enjoy wine with our dinner and there have been times when the MDR waiter would bring us our starters long before we got any wine service. So now, we simply refuse to even order dinner until we have seen a wine steward. This can add to time spent at dinner, but we not on a cruise to rush through dinner.

Hank

Gulp.....:')LOL

How about 45 minutes. It's been quite a while since they've done it anywhere near that mark. We like seeing the first show & getting a decent seat.:)

The early show, as with early dining is usually the busiest. Often you need to be at the early show 30 minutes before, but can get a good seat at the later show 10 minutes before.

The early show, as with early dining is usually the busiest. Often you need to be at the early show 30 minutes before, but can get a good seat at the later show 10 minutes before.

We only go to the DR on nights when we really don't care to much about the show since we've seen them all.

If we were in the DR & wanted to get a decent seat we'd just leave & return later in the evening for the rest of the meal.

Recently the new show "The Secret Silk" required getting there at no later than 45 minutes prior. We chose the buffet that evening and arrived an hour early for the early show.

Oh well. Their ship, their rules.

I've seen the same thing in restaurants. There are empty tables, but they "force" me to wait.

There may be open tables but they need the personnel to serve them.

I wish they would serve me that fast. It seems that the fastest they go in about 1 1/2 hours even if you request a quick meal.

We wind up sitting there waiting for food most of the time.

If you need a quick meal you need to go to the buffet.

Bottom line is that "Anytime" is a misnomer. As others have stated they tend to take early dining as a group, ensuring that if someone wants to dine ~6:30 they must wait until the first round of diners have concluded. One simply cannot show up "anytime" and get seated for dinner.

We have, for the most part, given up on Anytime dining in the MDR. When we eat there it is leisurely, but we don't eat every course (just too much food for our health), and the service is set up to run at the speed of the slowest table in the section. And Lord help you if you want to skip dessert - "what's wrong???"

Now if they staggered the start time for the initial groups of people to be in intervals of 15 minutes, the restaurant dynamics might be more anytime.

I think the waits are a combination of all of the above.

If one walks up at prime time, and they sit everyone all at once, then the waitstaff and the kitchen will both be backed up.

I have to say, though, that our worse experience with dining was on the Ruby.

Last night of a 'shorty'.

Sat us at one of the four-tops (you know, with the little 1/2 inch gap so that it can also be set as a two-top) with another couple already dining. Several better free-standing two tops nearby.

They sat empty.

You know what, I looked at my husband, looked over at those tables, and we just moved over!

Nobody was ever seated at those two-top tables, and it was getting pretty late by the time we left the MDR.

I think that many, many, people here might agree that Princess really needs to get their act together with the Anytime Dining.

Its the same at home as the ship, even with reservations, sometimes the table is not available & you go to the bar 7 have a cocktail.

Does the Early Traditional dining room seat Anytime Diners before it converts to Anytime ? e.g. When Traditional tables are empty or Traditional diners have finished early ?

I ask because we have rarely had problems having dinner and making an early show. We have usually had to take a beeper, but no problem as has been said we have a cocktail while waiting. Maybe my memory is failing me and we went to more of the later shows.

It would seem there is only one dining room for Anytime until second room converts to Anytime. Just surprised that we have not noticed this.

Does the Early Traditional dining room seat Anytime Diners before it converts to Anytime ? e.g. When Traditional tables are empty or Traditional diners have finished early ?

I ask because we have rarely had problems having dinner and making an early show. We have usually had to take a beeper, but no problem as has been said we have a cocktail while waiting. Maybe my memory is failing me and we went to more of the later shows.

It would seem there is only one dining room for Anytime until second room converts to Anytime. Just surprised that we have not noticed this.

The way it generally works on the Grand and Royal Class ships is that there is 1 MDR exclusively assigned to Fixed Dining. There is also one MDR exclusively assigned to Anytime Dining. But the third MDR is usually used for early Fixed Dining (because there are so many that want to dine before the sun goes down)...and then is switched over to Anytime...as those folks finish their dinner (normally around 7:30). So for those of us who dine Anytime at a later time (after 7:30) there are a lot more available tables (although you might find yourself going up and down the stairs trying to figure out which MDR is the better bet...for a short wait. This system does give the Dining Room Manager a lot of flexibility...depending on the passenger preferences on each cruise.

Hank

There is a simple solution to this...

It's called 'being willing to share a table with others'. Sure it can be a craps shoot - the group one might be paired with, but that's part of the enjoyment of cruising -- Meeting fellow passengers with the benefit of also being able to engage in interesting dinner conversation beyond: "Where are you from?" and "How many and where have you cruised before?".

We've never had to wait more than a minute when willing to dine with others, and have never had a qualm with feeling disrespectful in wanting to skip the dessert course to leave early to catch a show.

I see many posts of people wanting to eat early so they can get to a show. It seems to me that trying to do too many things in short time leads to stress that I don't want on a vacation. For me, some nights I'll prioritize dinner at a two-top and some nights I will prioritize the early show.

We have done Anytime Dining for years but in the past 18 months it has gotten really bad. We went back to traditional because we were sick of the lines and length of wait for a table. On our past four cruises, Club Class occupied almost a 1/3rd of one of the Anytime Dining Room and the majority of tables were empty. I hope this is one thing that goes away because it appears to only be servicing a few and upsetting many. We never had issues until Club Class was started. If you just got off a cruise make sure you notify them about your dissatisfaction in the survey because Princess won't fix the issue until they get a ton of negative feedback.

So for those of us willing to pay for the pleasure of CC dining, you say NO? Why wish something away that is such a wonderful solution to eating traditional at 5:30 (instead of booked 6pm) or the woes of ATD if you want to eat at the popular hours? Why don't you just join us?!:D:halo: And remember, they are getting a lot of good feedback from people like me!!!

Pooh

On land based restaurants I have the option to leave.

The surveys and posts on cruise critic like the club class. I personally like it because I sail in suites and there are so few perks in suites this one was a winner. My next four cruises are all with club class but not in a mini. I think the mini club class is not worth the extra money since I could eat at a specialty restaurant every night and come out ahead.

I guess, maybe?, you haven't taken the time to price the differences between a regular mini and a cc mini. I have never paid more than $18pp per day extra. In fact on my next 14 day Canada/NE cruise it is just $9.57 a day. And I have eaten once in Sabatini's and will never eat there again. Not good to my taste. I enjoy Crown, but only 1-2 times at most as their menu is very limited. And to be able to go to dinner leisurely between 6 and 6:30pm and still make shows is a wonderful thing to me. My wait staff are smiling as they call me by name (as does the head waiter or waitress) and within a couple minutes my special speciality drink is in front of me and after dinner, my very very hot coffee is automatically served with my dessert. So yes, in these eyes, CC mini is very much worth it as most suite prices are a tad steep for me unfortunately.

Pooh

So for those of us willing to pay for the pleasure of CC dining, you say NO? Why wish something away that is such a wonderful solution to eating traditional at 5:30 (instead of booked 6pm) or the woes of ATD if you want to eat at the popular hours? Why don't you just join us?!:D:halo: And remember, they are getting a lot of good feedback from people like me!!!

To me the problem is making some passengers pay to have anytime dining work it should, namely eat at the time you want which is its basic concept.

On difference between Princess and other cruise lines is that Princess restricts how many can have traditional dining and the overflow is assigned to anytime dining. Also, since the number who can choose anytime is not restricted, more people could choose anytime than the capacity is there to serve them.

Some other cruise lines restrict the number who can sign up for anytime. Anyone over that limit is assigned to traditional. Anytime seems to work better on those ships.

To me the problem is making some passengers pay to have anytime dining work it should, namely eat at the time you want which is its basic concept.

On difference between Princess and other cruise lines is that Princess restricts how many can have traditional dining and the overflow is assigned to anytime dining. Also, since the number who can choose anytime is not restricted, more people could choose anytime than the capacity is there to serve them.

Some other cruise lines restrict the number who can sign up for anytime. Anyone over that limit is assigned to traditional. Anytime seems to work better on those ships.

I agree. I wish that ATD would work as it is theoretically described. I think the main problems with ATD on Princess are two- the taking of reservations daily and people wanting to eat at the same exact small window of time (due to when they like to eat and getting to shows they want to see). Even if there were no reservation taking, I think the second reason would still cause some waiting and handing out of beepers to be done. And being an old old marketing major from college, CC dining is just a natural result of ATD. Maybe the whole solution is go back to the way it used to be. ONLY traditional dining times and if you wanted an ATD experience you ate in the buffet!!!!!

Pooh

Human nature is a funny thing...and it leads some folks to be masochistic (perhaps because they truly want something to whine about). A good friend of ours recently complained that he is always running through airports (and he has even missed some of his flights). I suggested that maybe he should go to the airport a bit earlier....but he says that is not his style :).

It is the same on cruise ships. If too many folks want to dine at 6:30....there are going to be issues with lines, service, etc. But those folks keep doing the same thing (dining at 6:30) and then complaining about the lines, waits, slow service, etc. If we suggest they dine at 7:45 they will often say "but we don't want to eat that late" and we suggest dining at 5:30 they will say "we don't want to eat that early." Many of these are the same folks that will go to the Lido at Noon for lunch and them complain its crowded and slow. When we tell them it is not crowded or slow at 12:45 they will say, "but we want to eat at noon."

So, folks can continue to whine here on CC about the dining issue....but there is a simple solution which is to simply change their personal schedule. Otherwise, just continue to complain :).

Hank

We always do anytime dining and have never had a problem with the wait. Last cruise there was a massive line for the dining room at 6 pm. Simple solution - go later. Never had to wait, and found the service better because the dining room was not as crowded.

Princess does need to find a way to deal with the people who choose traditional and then decide to eat any time. Also, I think the reserving of tables defeats the whole purpose of any time dining. Particularly, when I have seen people reserve the tables and then not show up.

For those who are saying remove CC or only have traditional dining, Princess has to compete with other lines. Anytime works, but not if people game the system, or all want to eat at the same time.

Go with the flow. You are on vacation. Eating an hour later is hardly a catastrophe.

another problem is the family of 10 above that the MD allowed to book a 10 top at 6:30 every evening of the cruise. that effectively removes that table from inventory for anybody before or after that time period. Blame it on the MD

There is a simple solution to this...

It's called 'being willing to share a table with others'. Sure it can be a craps shoot - the group one might be paired with, but that's part of the enjoyment of cruising -- Meeting fellow passengers with the benefit of also being able to engage in interesting dinner conversation beyond: "Where are you from?" and "How many and where have you cruised before?".

We've never had to wait more than a minute when willing to dine with others, and have never had a qualm with feeling disrespectful in wanting to skip the dessert course to leave early to catch a show.

Totally agree with this. Sharing a table is fun. We have met fantastic people this way. Of course we have met some people were a little difficult, but we remember them fondly as well.

It is ludicrous to expect to show whenever you want, (usually the busiest time), demand a table for two, and then be upset because you have to wait.

The few times we had to wait, we went and had a glass of wine. Did not bother us at all.

The reason why Princess restricts traditional is to make at least one dining room available for anytime.

If Princess put everyone in early traditional that wanted it, there would most likely not be any space left for anytime until after early traditional was finished.

The problem is the number of people that want to eat early is more than half of the capacity of the ship. Thus, anytime fills as soon as it opens.