Anytime dining - 'forced' to wait and take beeper

voljeep

It's not that tables aren't available or waiting to be cleared and reset.

It's a Princess decision

It's either a lack of tableside staff - or - kitchen not being able to get the food out on a

'timely basis'

just off the Regal, and saw this as we were leaving the mdr, plenty of set tables, 2 tops, 4, larger - and saw people getting beepers.

this was about 6:30 as we ate a very early dinner, for us, wanting to do a show at 7

part of the problem is people make reservations and then forget about it and is a no show. The table is empty because someone made a reservation for a table and they are a no show. after waiting some time, they will remove that no show reservation

Most likely being held for a late (7:30) reservation. Often they won't allow anyone to use a table with only 1 hour available to dine, although on one ship we were given such a table if we promised to be finished in an hour. We were gone in 45 minutes.

Most likely being held for a late (7:30) reservation. Often they won't allow anyone to use a table with only 1 hour available to dine, although on one ship we were given such a table if we promised to be finished in an hour. We were gone in 45 minutes.

I wish they would serve me that fast. It seems that the fastest they go in about 1 1/2 hours even if you request a quick meal.

We wind up sitting there waiting for food most of the time.

I think the waits are a combination of all of the above.

If one walks up at prime time, and they sit everyone all at once, then the waitstaff and the kitchen will both be backed up.

I have to say, though, that our worse experience with dining was on the Ruby.

Last night of a 'shorty'.

Sat us at one of the four-tops (you know, with the little 1/2 inch gap so that it can also be set as a two-top) with another couple already dining. Several better free-standing two tops nearby.

They sat empty.

You know what, I looked at my husband, looked over at those tables, and we just moved over!

Nobody was ever seated at those two-top tables, and it was getting pretty late by the time we left the MDR.

I think that many, many, people here might agree that Princess really needs to get their act together with the Anytime Dining.

I think the waits are a combination of all of the above

I think that many, many, people here might agree that Princess really needs to get their act together with the Anytime Dining.

We must be one of the few since we have not had issues with anytime dining. That is not to say that we have never had to take a beeper. But rather, any wait was moderate. So, from my point of view, Princess already has their act together.

We have done Anytime Dining for years but in the past 18 months it has gotten really bad. We went back to traditional because we were sick of the lines and length of wait for a table. On our past four cruises, Club Class occupied almost a 1/3rd of one of the Anytime Dining Room and the majority of tables were empty. I hope this is one thing that goes away because it appears to only be servicing a few and upsetting many. We never had issues until Club Class was started. If you just got off a cruise make sure you notify them about your dissatisfaction in the survey because Princess won't fix the issue until they get a ton of negative feedback.

We must be one of the few since we have not had issues with anytime dining. That is not to say that we have never had to take a beeper. But rather, any wait was moderate. So, from my point of view, Princess already has their act together.

We always do anytime dining and on 25 cruises with Princess , we have never had an issue...I agree that they do have their act together and for those that might have to wait a few minutes, well, do you have anywhere else to go???

We always do anytime dining and on 25 cruises with Princess , we have never had an issue...I agree that they do have their act together and for those that might have to wait a few minutes, well, do you have anywhere else to go???

How about getting finished with dinner in a reasonable amount of time to make it to the show lounge to get a seat.

It's a Princess decision

It's either a lack of tableside staff - or - kitchen not being able to get the food out on a

'timely basis'

just off the Regal, and saw this as we were leaving the mdr, plenty of set tables, 2 tops, 4, larger - and saw people getting beepers.

this was about 6:30 as we ate a very early dinner, for us, wanting to do a show at 7

So why not go to the bar and get a pre dinner cocktail? I guess living in the big city this is standard for me, most restaurants have beepers and most enjoy a cocktail prior to dinner. The beepers add flexibility and I appreciate them. Empty tables most likely waiting on reservations.

So why not go to the bar and get a pre dinner cocktail? I guess living in the big city this is standard for me, most restaurants have beepers and most enjoy a cocktail prior to dinner. The beepers add flexibility and I appreciate them. Empty tables most likely waiting on reservations.

guess you missed post #3, huh?..;p

Oh well. Their ship, their rules.

I've seen the same thing in restaurants. There are empty tables, but they "force" me to wait.

On land based restaurants I have the option to leave.

Club Class occupied almost a 1/3rd of one of the Anytime Dining Room and the majority of tables were empty. I hope this is one thing that goes away because it appears to only be servicing a few and upsetting many. We never had issues until Club Class was started. If you just got off a cruise make sure you notify them about your dissatisfaction in the survey because Princess won't fix the issue until they get a ton of negative feedback.

The surveys and posts on cruise critic like the club class. I personally like it because I sail in suites and there are so few perks in suites this one was a winner. My next four cruises are all with club class but not in a mini. I think the mini club class is not worth the extra money since I could eat at a specialty restaurant every night and come out ahead.

Wowie folks, bottom line is you ate, drank and hopefully are having/had a merry cruise. Why moan and groan about this subject? I just don't get it. You're on vacation enjoy it and don't worry about the small things. Just saying.

You said it.

I'm all for leaving things the way they are right now. We can enjoy the DR on formal nights dressed down & on casual nights, even a little more so.

No need for any changes. :D

:)

It's obvious you have never worked, much less been observed the operation of a restaurant. Wait staff and clean service set ups are a start. Impossible for kitchen to pump out 300-400 meals at once. The entire meal is based on a timetable that has been established over the years. Entire process is timed so that the table can be "turned" after so many minutes. We have always asked for first available (way of actually speaking to fellow pax) and have NEVER had to wait more than five minutes. My wife says we did have to wait once, I don't remember it, but she can't recall which cruise line. The wife did point out that empty table appeared to be in zones. So if an area of ten tables has one party lingering, they may delay seating anyone there unitl that table has been turned.

We have done Anytime Dining for years but in the past 18 months it has gotten really bad. We went back to traditional because we were sick of the lines and length of wait for a table. On our past four cruises, Club Class occupied almost a 1/3rd of one of the Anytime Dining Room and the majority of tables were empty. I hope this is one thing that goes away because it appears to only be servicing a few and upsetting many. We never had issues until Club Class was started. If you just got off a cruise make sure you notify them about your dissatisfaction in the survey because Princess won't fix the issue until they get a ton of negative feedback.

What ship was that on?

I have been on 7 different Princess ships since the implementation of club class. All of them had club class in the deck 6, mid ship DR. The dining room that is early traditional, and late anytime. The entry for that dinning room starboard side is for regular, the entrance on the port side is for CC. The number of dining spots saved for CC have been more in the 10-15% percent of that dining room capacity, not the 1/3 that you stated.

The rush for anytime dining is usually right at the 5:30-6pm period when it first opens and you often have a line extending through the Piazza. The rush is usually gone by the time, early traditional is over and that dining room converts to anytime. After a few days during a cruise they will sometimes start bringing some anytime diners to that room during early traditional once they have an idea what tables will be not be used during early traditional.

It's a Princess decision

'timely basis'

Oh well, that's the chance you take with anytime dinning. If you do want to wait elect tradition dinning at a set time. Problem solved.

What ship was that on?

I have been on 7 different Princess ships since the implementation of club class. All of them had club class in the deck 6, mid ship DR. The dining room that is early traditional, and late anytime. The entry for that dinning room starboard side is for regular, the entrance on the port side is for CC. The number of dining spots saved for CC have been more in the 10-15% percent of that dining room capacity, not the 1/3 that you stated.

The rush for anytime dining is usually right at the 5:30-6pm period when it first opens and you often have a line extending through the Piazza. The rush is usually gone by the time, early traditional is over and that dining room converts to anytime. After a few days during a cruise they will sometimes start bringing some anytime diners to that room during early traditional once they have an idea what tables will be not be used during early traditional.

This has been our experience too, mostly on the Grand class ships but not so much on the Royal class ships. I do not think CC has anything to do with lines going into the ATD. I think allowing reservations may be more of a culprit. We love CC and are willing to pay more for the convenience, service and special dishes. Princess is not going to get rid of CC.....maybe more likely to charge if a passenger wants reservations in ATD if anything.....:eek:

This has been our experience too, mostly on the Grand class ships but not so much on the Royal class ships. I do not think CC has anything to do with lines going into the ATD. I think allowing reservations may be more of a culprit. We love CC and are willing to pay more for the convenience, service and special dishes. Princess is not going to get rid of CC.....maybe more likely to charge if a passenger wants reservations in ATD if anything.....:eek:

Anytime is like a land restaurant. If too many people show up at the same time, some will have to wait.

On a cruise ship, the wait, if any, depends on how many of the 1500+ people that have anytime dining will decide their anytime is the same time you want to eat. On some cruises there will be waiting times. On others with a different group of passengers, there might not be any wait at all.