Mexico with Carnival Splendor or Ruby Princess..help me decide?

steorra

Hello! Both my fiancé and I have sailed with HAL prior and about to sail with RCCL in the future. I've noticed on HAL re the age demographic (and have mostly sailed with them as my parents are fans) and am looking to have more to do on the ship. I'm attempting to decide on booking a late Nov trip to Mexico and am having trouble deciding between the Carnival Splendor or the Ruby Princess for this trip. I realize both ships have some years on them..right now, though, I've done so much research I'm starting to get myself confused.. help?

Guess it depends on your age and what age demographic you are comfortable with. We are in our 60's and just got off the Ruby (March 3-10) doing the Mexican Riviera. There was a large variance in ages- some 20's, lots of 30-50's, and some 60-80's. Not many children at this time of year- we saw maybe 20-30. I would expect Carnival to have more cruisers in the 20-40 yr. range. Ruby has a few lounges that have entertainment, but I'm not sure what time they stop. The Sky-walkers Lounge doesn't even open (well, they are open, but you can't be served) until 10 PM, and I think the entertainment goes into the wee hrs. I vote Princess!

I should clarify, between myself and my fiance, we're in our late 30's/mid-40's. From taking HAL in the past, we found the demo geared more towards our parents age and maybe not so much ours as we were still awake at 10pm and looking for things to do on ship. To clarify as well and if it helps input wise, I was looking at booking an "entry level" suite due to the bathtub (which plays into fiance's disability). He also has the penchant to prefer to get food at all hours, especially when he is having trouble sleeping - which also plays into the decision making ...

Both ships are equal in size. Splendor carries about 1200 more passengers and the inside is a tacky Las Vegas pink. I have been on the Splendor to Mexico and would no go again.

I think of it as "explosion in a Barbie house pink and silver" but your description works fine too. :D

Carnival is a 4* rated ultimate party cruise line with a younger party crowd of 21-40 yrs and non stop activities and entertainment.

Princess is a more classy, 5* rated cruise line; with better quality shows and entertainment.

The Splendor is decorated like like a Mardi Gras float. It's just an explosion of crazy decor ideas such as giant fu dogs over the thalisotherapy pool, the silver and pink polka dot wallpaper in the atrium and the dining rooms covered in gold or black pearls. Some people are horrified by the decor and hate this ship. Others find it amusing. Take a look at it here: http://beyondships.com/CarnivalSplendor-Tour-1.html. We were in a spa balcony and I spent a lot of time reading on the balinese beds in the spa relaxation room when onboard.

The negative about Carnival right now is the food has really gone downhill in the past year, IMO. Before that, it was reasonably good, but now they have taken away tablecloths in the MDR and the new menu includes stuff like meatloaf and cheap cuts of meat and things I'd never want to eat on a cruise. However, the steakhouse is still good as is the Chef's table, so on our last Carnival cruise, we ate at the steakhouse most nights.

The Ruby Princess is still a beautiful ship. http://beyondships.com/Princess-RU-Tour-1.html.

I have had Princess' current food and it is good to very good. Carnival doesn't come close to what you get on Princess.

Anyway, consider which ship you would have the better time on and choose accordingly.

Princess is also more expensive.

What is the price of each cruise?

The difference is that Carnival is about $200 cheaper -- but the current Princess promotion (free gratuities + up to $300 ezair), pretty much balances it out.

The difference is that Carnival is about $200 cheaper -- but the current Princess promotion (free gratuities + up to $300 ezair), pretty much balances it out.

Rework your math. Free gratuities alone is already worth around $190 for a 7-day cruise. Add ezair saving and Princess comes out on top.

If you want a fun, party cruise with non stop activities and entertainment, then choose Carnival. We love it, especially my teenage daughter.

But if you want a classy ship with fabulous shows and gourmet food, then choose Princess!

Are the ports and itinerary exactly the same?

If you want a fun, party cruise with non stop activities and entertainment, then choose Carnival. We love it, especially my teenage daughter.

But if you want a classy ship with fabulous shows and gourmet food, then choose Princess!

Are the ports and itinerary exactly the same?

Yes, exactly the same.

The buffet on all Princess ships closes around 11 pm and reopens around 5 am but food is available around the clock at the International Cafe.

My mistake. I thought the buffet had limited options after 11 pm. But yes, you are correct, the International Cafe is open 24 hrs. Nice sandwiches, salads in the afternoons and evenings.

My husband and I will be on the Ruby in late November. It was a choice between carnival and princess as well, even though carnival was much cheaper I just couldn’t get past the decor and I didn’t want to spend a week looking at that. My husband and I are in our 40’s super active, like to have a good time, but have no desire to day-drink for 7 days straight. We also live in tahoe with no reason to dress up ever, so I’m excited about a little classier scene. I also want to be the youngest person in the room. Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums