Anthem Of The Seas & Private Island

Just a quick question, how often does the Anthem of the seas stop at the private island? Leaving 4/7/2018 and been watching the last few weeks and seems they have skipped & gone to Nassau early.

I'm on that sailing too. Fingers crossed we make it to Coco Cay!

I don't have an answer to your question, but anecdotally, I have a 1 for 3 record of actually making it to Coco Cay on the Explorer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was on this year's March 9th sailing of the Anthem. It was a beautiful sunny day. We arrived at Cococay and we were all ready to head to the tenders when the captain announced that he felt it was not safe enough to use the tenders, so we did not get to go to Cococay. Nassau already had all the berths filled for that day, so we weren't able to dock in Nassau until around 7:00 that evening.

Just a quick question, how often does the Anthem of the seas stop at the private island? Leaving 4/7/2018 and been watching the last few weeks and seems they have skipped & gone to Nassau early.

This happens whenever the winds are in excess of their safety limit. They are building a pier that eventually will enable then to dock almost always. This is just a windy time of year.

This happens whenever the winds are in excess of their safety limit. They are building a pier that eventually will enable then to dock almost always. This is just a windy time of year.

As there is no shelter for the dock they will still miss the port if the winds are high. They won’t miss it as much as they do now but they will still miss it.

As there is no shelter for the dock they will still miss the port if the winds are high. They won’t miss it as much as they do now but they will still miss it.

why would a lack of shelter make a difference? The ship is still going to tie up...

This is probably true, but the captains that stop here have pretty good intel and experience. On my last Majesty cruise we were due to be back on board at 4pm, but in the morning before departure they scaled that back to 3pm because of forecast conditions. On our trip back, I got a good taste of how difficult it is to tender as the waves get higher. It was difficult, but you could see the crew was experienced. There were no people in wheel chairs on my tender, that would have been an experience to watch them handle those in conditions like we had. As others have said, the new pier is coming. So far I'm 5 for 5 making it on Majesty.

Our Coco Cay experience is 2 out of 5 times we make it. At this point we never count on it.

On a totally unrelated note, I' m a PA native that had to look up Finleyville. I hope to have some of the first pictures of the completed pier this fall.

why would a lack of shelter make a difference? The ship is still going to tie up...

In most ports the docks are sheltered by natural breakwaters and therefore there are few if any waves at the dock. With the pier at CocoCay there are no breakwaters and if there are strong waves the ships will not dock.

I have a great video that I took from the tender as we ATTEMPTED to get back to the ship. I know how to post pictures, but not video. Can anyone help?

upload to youtube and post a link? If you don't want to do that, I could post it on a webpage of mine and post a link to that.

In most ports the docks are sheltered by natural breakwaters and therefore there are few if any waves at the dock. With the pier at CocoCay there are no breakwaters and if there are strong waves the ships will not dock.

True, but if the wind is from one direction or the other, one side SHOULD be protected. However if the waves are coming straight at the end of the pier it could be rough on both sides. It should improve most people's success rate a lot though.

I was on Anthem last week and we made it to Coco Cay.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cally, how warm was it on Cococay last week? We leave next Saturday, and I'm debating whether I should pack the wetsuits. Seriously. You can stop laughing now:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just off the March 24 sailing on Anthem. We arrived at Coco Cay - and then the announcement came that we would not be able to tender. So we sailed to Nassau, where we arrived around 1pm. A suggestion...have a plan in case this happens to you. I knew there was a good chance it would be cancelled, but I had not done any real research into what to do in Nassau as we were doing the Atlantis Aquaventure the next day. As soon as the announcement was made, tons of people (myself included) rushed to book shore excursions. My boys really wanted to go to a beach, and the only beachy excursion offered was Balmoral Beach for $69 pp. I grabbed the last four spots. It was ok, but my teenagers became bored with the place very quickly. We were only there for about 90 minutes. In hindsight, I wish I had looked into various beaches as a backup so that I would have been more comfortable with just grabbing a taxi to some beach. Instead, I made a split-second, uninformed decision while standing in the excursion line! Oh well! The boys really loved Atlantis, so that was good.