Expelling U.S. Staff

stevenr597

Russian just announced today that they will be expelling U.S. diplomatic staff and closing down the United States Consulate in St. Petersburg. We are booked on Regal Princess in July to talk Baltic Sea cruise and there will be a two day stop in this city. Hope that this will not affect our port stop, in that many individuals say that this is the high point of the cruise.

Russian just announced today that they will be expelling U.S. diplomatic staff and closing down the United States Consulate in St. Petersburg. We are booked on Regal Princess in July to talk Baltic Sea cruise and there will be a two day stop in this city. Hope that this will not affect our port stop, in that many individuals say that this is the high point of the cruise.

Not solely US diplomats are being declared Persona non Grata. The number is at least 150 western diplomats. The situation is deteriorating as is the concomitant security of western tourists in Russia. Remember, you are subject to Russia law and jurisprudence (such as it is) when in Russian territorial waters and moored in port. US, UK, France, etc laws do not apply.

FYI, St Peterburg is a nice "been there done that" stop. There are more interesting ports on the Baltic circuit to include Tallinn, Rostock and Stockholm. Berlin and a former Concentration camp is a much more dramatic and educational visit than St Pete, which is more like the proverbial Potemkin Village.

We will also be in St. Petersburg, but on the Pacific Princess.

It is too early to worry about it. I figure if you get there that is great, if not too bad. It only hurts the Russians if we and our money do not get there.

There is nothing to do at this point but wait and see. If the location is determined to be too dangerous, Princess will eliminate the stop. They may or may not be able to substitute a different port. The whole thing may be over prior to the cruise, or may escalate...no way to predict, no way to make an educated decision at this point.

With no U.S. consulate in St. Petersburg anymore, don't lose your passport there.

You are required to have it with you when you exit the ship.Have a safe place to hold it on your body. We were warned on several stops by our private guide to watch out because a heavy pickpocket area.

We felt safe the whole time we were there (two days) and it is a must see city.Would be sad if we no longer can visit.

With no U.S. consulate in St. Petersburg anymore, don't lose your passport there.

You are required to have it with you when you exit the ship.Have a safe place to hold it on your body. We were warned on several stops by our private guide to watch out because a heavy pickpocket area.

We felt safe the whole time we were there (two days) and it is a must see city.Would be sad if we no longer can visit.

I was just thinking the same. A lady on our cruise in 2016 had her bag, containing her passport, stolen. She wasn't allowed back on the ship and spent the next day at the US Consulate obtaining a new passport. Goodness knows what will happen now - a side trip to Moscow?!:eek:

I always carry my passport and credit cards in a neck pouch. Nothing in my pockets.

Have never had a problem but I get paranoid when someone I do not know comes close to

me.

We will be in St. Petersburg on May 5 and 6.

Greg

It will have no affect on your port of call. This is nothing more than politics, happens quite often and it all, other than an act of war, will not affect your cruise. :D

When we visited St Petersburg in l997... had no need to use us embassy... would not think it matter at all.

There is nothing to do at this point but wait and see. If the location is determined to be too dangerous' date=' Princess will eliminate the stop. They may or may not be able to substitute a different port. The whole thing may be over prior to the cruise, or may escalate...no way to predict, no way to make an educated decision at this point.[/quote']

Indeed!

One additional worry: It may become unofficial (or even official) policy to hammer

US (etc) citizens with paperwork that isn't 100.0000% perfect.

My guess is that unless oil prices spike, Russia will decide they don't want to scare

away tourists and their lovely hard currency, but their choice of St Petersburg as

the US consulate to close is worrisome.

Be aware that the EU placed a ban on EU registered cruise ships (and on other things like trade) visiting Crimean ports following the Russian invasion and annexation of Crimea. Princess ships are registered in Bermuda which is part of the UK. Russia is increasingly becoming a "rogue state" within the international community.

Ordinarily, I would not have worried in respect to each country expelling diplomats. But the decision to close the mission/consulate in St. Petersburgh does worry me. The Russians are not stupid, they realize the large number of tourists that visit this city. Perhaps they are and will try to send a message to the United States by making it much more difficult, in fact unpleasant for cruise ships to visit this city. Will they lose money....yes. But it may be an issue of pride to them.

The tours we have booked for this city have been from Princess, not from a local cruise agency in the city. I hope that Princess will look out for the people on their tours. Just a thought.

FYI, St Peterburg is a nice "been there done that" stop. ... St Pete is more like the proverbial Potemkin Village.

Globehoppers,

Not sure how familiar you are with webtalk lingo, but your statement calls for an IMHO, rather than an FYI.

Sensible advice to keep your passport safe, though.

Ordinarily, I would not have worried in respect to each country expelling diplomats. But the decision to close the mission/consulate in St. Petersburgh does worry me. The Russians are not stupid, they realize the large number of tourists that visit this city. Perhaps they are and will try to send a message to the United States by making it much more difficult, in fact unpleasant for cruise ships to visit this city. Will they lose money....yes. But it may be an issue of pride to them.

The tours we have booked for this city have been from Princess, not from a local cruise agency in the city. I hope that Princess will look out for the people on their tours. Just a thought.

FYI...All cruise lines use local suppliers for their excursions many of which are the same one's that you can book independently.

It will have no affect on your port of call. This is nothing more than politics, happens quite often and it all, other than an act of war, will not affect your cruise. :D

Sorry Randall, but that's an inaccurate and irresponsible assurance. Putin can order his immigration officials to deny disembarkation to American citizens or deny any ship with American passengers clearance into the port. Those of us who are booked on cruises that are scheduled to dock in St. Petersberg this summer should be very concerned that we may not be allowed to get off of the ship or be rerouted to another port.

Edited by TravelChick69
misspelled word.

Putin can order his immigration officials to deny embarkation to American citizens or deny any ship with American passengers clearance into the port.

I'm sorry, I just don't get it - what does American citizenship have to do with it?

In this particular case the whole Seattle/St.pete tit-for-tat is just a minor squabble on the sidelines of a bigger UK/Russia spat.

Sorry Randall, but that's an inaccurate and irresponsible assurance. Putin can order his immigration officials to deny disembarkation to American citizens or deny any ship with American passengers clearance into the port. Those of us who are booked on cruises that are scheduled to dock in St. Petersberg this summer should be very concerned that we may not be allowed to get off of the ship or be rerouted to another port.

IMO...you are being overly concerned. The US is not the only country that is involved in this political tit for tat and don't forget that St. Petersburg is hosting the World Cup in June/July which is HUGE!!! Russia does not want to screw that up!

I was on a Baltic cruise a few years ago when Russia had invaded the Ukraine (Crimea)...now that was serious s***!!!

All ships continued to visit St. Petersburg without incident.

I'm sorry, I just don't get it - what does American citizenship have to do with it?

In this particular case the whole Seattle/St.pete tit-for-tat is just a minor squabble on the sidelines of a bigger UK/Russia spat.

I'm sure U.K. citizens could face the same thing. And it's only minor if you're not the one of the already booked passengers who could get detained until someone arrives from Moscow if something goes wrong with your visa paperwork or passport and doesn't know if you'll get to enjoy the 2 days in SP that you've already paid for. To us is a big deal.

Edited by TravelChick69
misspelled word.

IMO...you are being overly concerned. The US is not the only country that is involved in this political tit for tat and don't forget that St. Petersburg is hosting the World Cup in June/July which is HUGE!!! Russia does not want to screw that up!

I was on a Baltic cruise a few years ago when Russia had invaded the Ukraine (Crimea)...now that was serious s***!!!

All ships continued to visit St. Petersburg without incident.

Thanks, that is comforting to hear. Hoping for the best.

Not solely US diplomats are being declared Persona non Grata. The number is at least 150 western diplomats. The situation is deteriorating as is the concomitant security of western tourists in Russia. Remember, you are subject to Russia law and jurisprudence (such as it is) when in Russian territorial waters and moored in port. US, UK, France, etc laws do not apply.

FYI, St Peterburg is a nice "been there done that" stop. There are more interesting ports on the Baltic circuit to include Tallinn, Rostock and Stockholm. Berlin and a former Concentration camp is a much more dramatic and educational visit than St Pete, which is more like the proverbial Potemkin Village.

Being one who has spent 3 weeks in Russia...and 3 days in St. Petes, I beg to differ..... the Hermitage, Winter Palace, etc.... vs a concentration camp....guess we travel for different reasons. "Potemkin" Village or not it can be quite historic & dramatic.....

O.P. ......I would not be to terribly concerned, Russia is one big country, and they want tourism, cruising is what it is....there are always hiccups, disappointments and wonderful once in a life time experiences, that are never pre-planned. Hope your cruise will met your expectations.

Edited by land lover

Indeed!

One additional worry: It may become unofficial (or even official) policy to hammer

US (etc) citizens with paperwork that isn't 100.0000% perfect.

My guess is that unless oil prices spike, Russia will decide they don't want to scare

away tourists and their lovely hard currency, but their choice of St Petersburg as

the US consulate to close is worrisome.

Have you applied for a Russian Visa? I have..and the questions they ask have been the most intrusive of any visa app. I have ever filled out...Also in order to apply for a visa you have to have an invitation to visit the country.

Edited by land lover