Venice Transportion: What's my best option

CruiseCat99

DH and I arrive in Venice 3 days before our Silver Whisper ship leaves. We are staying near the airport, but desire to go into Venice each day. I know there are 2 different water taxi options and I have been researching quite a bit and still cannot decide which is the better option for us. We will probably walk a lot once we get to the lagoon. Also, I have seen options for buying tickets at the airport as well as online.

Finally, will our transportation options the day the ship leaves be different since we will have luggage to transport to the port instead of just ourselves?

Thanks for the advice.

Not sure why you would stay at the airport. Staying in town opens up far more options.

As to how you get to town, I would suggest you use different options each day so you get to see Venice from different angles. Take the alilaguna (water bus). Take the land bus. Water taxi is the most expensive, and can't thing of a good reason to take it- maybe to the ship if you have more than 2 people. I would save land taxi for the trip to the ship, if you don't use the water taxi.

DH and I arrive in Venice 3 days before our Silver Whisper ship leaves. We are staying near the airport, but desire to go into Venice each day. I know there are 2 different water taxi options and I have been researching quite a bit and still cannot decide which is the better option for us. We will probably walk a lot once we get to the lagoon. Also, I have seen options for buying tickets at the airport as well as online.

Finally, will our transportation options the day the ship leaves be different since we will have luggage to transport to the port instead of just ourselves?

Thanks for the advice.

I would also recommend considering the land taxi for your last day. Also, if you want to sight see that last day you may want to check with your cruise line and see what time their drop luggage area will open up. Another possible alternative is that some times the terminal will have their own drop luggage storage area if the cruise line is not going to open up early enough for you.

Lastly, the cheapest alternative would be to take the land bus into Venice, then take the people mover and then walk to your terminal. This will only work if you just have a couple of rolling bags.

What is the name of your hotel? Did you check their web site?

Most websites provide info on how to reach Venice.

If your hotel provides a free shuttle to/from the airport, a cheap and easy option is take the ATVO airport express bus for about 8e pp. Its a 20 minute ride. On cruise day, take a cab.

With 3 nites you could get an apt in Venice, but maybe you're using points for your hotel room.

we stayed on the Lido..Hotel Belvedere.island across from Venice proper..there was a water bus (not taxi) stop close to the hotel...cobblestones but only about 100 feet to the hotel so roller bags were fine. our room faced the lagoon so every morning we had a view (at a distance) of Venice proper. got a 3 day water bus ticket and crossed over every day. about a 10 minute ride. trip to cruise was on the water bus. only hassle was getting our bags on the boat but that was because none of the passengers would get out of the way. finally had to just grab the bags and hope I did not kill anybody who stepping in front of me. if handling bags a concern likely better to stay near the train station. there is a bus from the airport to the square. people mover there too.

recommend the secret tour of the doges palace

Thank you for all the helpful suggestions. We would have loved to stay in Venice, however we are there during the film festival and things are very pricy. Add that to the fact that we are doing a 12 day port intensive cruise with 4 nights in Athens at the end, and we had to budget somewhere to be able to enjoy it all!!!

I am sailing on The Whisper too and so glad to see this thread:)......I am going in July and have a room booked at The BAUER for 2 nights pre-cruise. I know SS has transportation from the hotel to the ship but not from the airport to the hotel. I am still trying to decide how to get to the hotel from the airport......best suggestions?

I travel solo and would be ok with paying extra $ for a private car.....but from what I have read, it doesn't

work that way in Venice..........I know the Water Taxi the main thing, correct? I will have 2 pieces of luggage and a tote bag.

OH, I should have read about more closely on the hotel website. They have a Private Water Taxi and it drops off at the Dock which is at the hotel. Would just have to find the water taxi at the airport.....I will email the hotel.

Edited by Lois R

• 1 month later...

Lastly, the cheapest alternative would be to take the land bus into Venice, then take the people mover and then walk to your terminal. This will only work if you just have a couple of rolling bags.

Just to point out that the cheapest option, probably won't work for you. The people mover is an option for larger ships that are docked at Marittima. However, the Whisper will more than likely be docked at San Basilio.

...I know the Water Taxi the main thing, correct? I will have 2 pieces of luggage and a tote bag.

OH, I should have read about more closely on the hotel website. They have a Private Water Taxi and it drops off at the Dock which is at the hotel. Would just have to find the water taxi at the airport.....I will email the hotel.

I hope you can easily manage your luggage. The water taxi/Alilaguna pier is a bit of a hike from the airport.

https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/water-taxis.htm

For the two days when you are not carrying luggage, get the Allilaguna waterbus from the airport, then also buy a two day Vaporetto ticket so once you get to Venice you can get on and off any Vaporetto. This website is very helpful http://www.italyheaven.co.uk/veneto/venice/travel.html.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I hope you can easily manage your luggage. The water taxi/Alilaguna pier is a bit of a hike from the airport.

https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/water-taxis.htm

My luggage is on wheels.......I do everything else on my own so I will just have to deal with getting it on and off the water taxi by myself too.........

watch the difference between water taxi and water bus...taxi really expensive...if you stay by the train station there is a bus from the airport...you could then get a pass for the length of your visit in Venice for the water bus.....have to do the Grand Canal at least once

My luggage is on wheels.......I do everything else on my own so I will just have to deal with getting it on and off the water taxi by myself too.........

If you are taking a shuttle or water taxi your luggage will be loaded and unloaded by the operator. They don't want anyone banging their luggage on their beautiful boats. The water taxi is a private ride which is the most expense transport. The shuttle may have a couple of other people, a little less money.

The other boats, the least expensive transportation, are more like a bus and you will be pretty much on your own. But if you look like a helpless tourist someone will probably help.

If you are taking a shuttle or water taxi your luggage will be loaded and unloaded by the operator. They don't want anyone banging their luggage on their beautiful boats. The water taxi is a private ride which is the most expense transport. The shuttle may have a couple of other people, a little less money.

The other boats, the least expensive transportation, are more like a bus and you will be pretty much on your own. But if you look like a helpless tourist someone will probably help.

Thanks for that information. I have been in touch with my hotel and I am taking the one for 120 Euros. I was told when I get to the airport I will go through customs, get my luggage and then go to the left hand side where there is a kiosk and will speak with them. Or get my luggage and then go through customs;)........can't remember which is which.