Lines and crowds

RW_MI

I'm trying to plan a November cruise and Carnival has a couple itineraries that interest me -- one on Magic and one on Glory.

I've only been on three cruises, but haven't cruised Carnival. Reading the thread about small ships, a lot of people mentioned crowds and lines.

If lines would bother me, should I avoid Magic and Glory? On my last two cruises, I never had to wait for food or shows and that adds a lot to the relaxation factor for me. No "hangry" moments, and I could decide at the last minute if I wanted to stop by a show -- may not get the greatest seat, but I'd get one.

The other thing that's important to me is a decent amount of reasonably healthy food and a good variety of food. (I'm mainly thinking of the buffet.)

Would appreciate any input on this. I've already learned so much from these boards since finding them a week ago!

Gourmet food definitely isn't a must -- I happen to like salad, veggies and fairly non-greasy protein so that's important to me. I think I have reasonable expectations for the buffet version of those.

And zero lines isn't a necessity, but when I read 45 minutes to an hour? That just isn't my personal preference.

I appreciate your comments and your Miracle recommendation.

Edited by RW_MI
add line

I have never experienced unmanageable crowds on any cruise. Lines, of course. But that’s a given because you are in a public place and you are not the only fish in the sea (pun intended). But nothing that was annoying or that ruined my experience. I loved both the Conquest as well as the Dream and Magic, and didn’t notice any difference between those and the smaller ships I’ve been on: the Legend and Fascination.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would not consider Glory or Magic "small" ships - the Fantasy class ships are definitely smaller as well as the Spirit class. That said, I think, given your criteria, either ship would be fine for you. There will be times when there are buffet lines but they are generally during specific hours and you will figure that out pretty quickly and avoid those times. We were just on the Conquest (sister ship to Glory) a few weeks ago and found this true. The variety of buffet food is pretty good and I never saw any of the evening shows where the theater was full such that you could not come in last minute and find seats (except the comedy venue which always filled up early and quickly).

Gourmet food definitely isn't a must -- I happen to like salad, veggies and fairly non-greasy protein so that's important to me. I think I have reasonable expectations for the buffet version of those.

And zero lines isn't a necessity, but when I read 45 minutes to an hour? That just isn't my personal preference.

I am glad you arent expecting gourmet food because you wont get it on any of the mass market cruise lines....Is the food good, absolutely. Its not gourmet (do not let any of the "cheerleaders" tell you it is, because it isnt) NO. Even in the specialty restaurants, (Steakhouse, Italian, Asian) the food is good, not great. Plenty of salad and fruit so if that is your thing, you will be fine. I havent been on the Miracle, but what I have found as a general rule is bigger ships, bigger crowds. Go look at the Vista threads, huge lines for the comedy shows and buffets. I tend to cruise the Fantasy class ships and depending on when you are cruising (if kids are out of school), there can be sometimes where there isnt a line for anything. Spring break, Summer time, Holidays, the ship will be more crowded. Enjoy!!!!

Edited by Oh Not Him Again

I think that Carnival buffet has some nice salads, and they differ from day to day, either lunch or dinner. there is greasy protein, and there is also non greasy protein, from carving stations, the type of meat though differs from meal to meal, day to day. I have found some Carnival ships buffet lines to be slow, but those are the Victory and Triumph, which are less buffet stations than the Conquest class which have about twice as much. But even on those ships with slower lines, it was never really terrible, and I am a person who hates waiting in line.

Sorry have not yet been on Miracle. But just have to say that for me, Carnival buffet works, and I do love their salad bar and salads that I have had on other ships. I also like the dining room, and usually only use the buffet for breakfast, lunch and the occasional dinner.

I would not consider Glory or Magic "small" ships - the Fantasy class ships are definitely smaller as well as the Spirit class. That said, I think, given your criteria, either ship would be fine for you. There will be times when there are buffet lines but they are generally during specific hours and you will figure that out pretty quickly and avoid those times. We were just on the Conquest (sister ship to Glory) a few weeks ago and found this true. The variety of buffet food is pretty good and I never saw any of the evening shows where the theater was full such that you could not come in last minute and find seats (except the comedy venue which always filled up early and quickly).

Very helpful - thanks!

We were on the Conquest two years ago, Glory's sister ship. Never experienced anything close to a 45 minute to an hour wait for the buffet or shows. The longest we had to wait was for the MDR on the last night of the cruise (half hour). Now for the comedy club, you might see those kinds of lines. We only went one night, after supper, so we got there late when it was standing room only. But when it was over, there was already a huge line waiting for the next one.

I would not consider Glory or Magic "small" ships - the Fantasy class ships are definitely smaller as well as the Spirit class.
I think the OP was asking if they should avoid those two ships because they're bigger (i.e. longer lines). At least, that's how I understood it.

Magic and Glory are two of my favorite ships, with the Magic being #1. I know there will always be some kind of wait wherever you go. However, I have never found the waits excessive or overbearing. There are "peak" times in every venue, so learn them quickly and you will find that the waits will be minimal and acceptable. You cannot go wrong on either of these ships.

I too hate crowds with a passion, and for that reason plan my cruising with that in mind. I avoid areas that I know will have long lines(such as the Mongolian Wok) but am easily able to find things I enjoy that have little to no line at all.

Responses in RED.

I'm trying to plan a November cruise and Carnival has a couple itineraries that interest me -- one on Magic and one on Glory.

I've only been on three cruises, but haven't cruised Carnival. Reading the thread about small ships, a lot of people mentioned crowds and lines.

If lines would bother me, should I avoid Magic and Glory? On my last two cruises, I never had to wait for food or shows and that adds a lot to the relaxation factor for me. No "hangry" moments, and I could decide at the last minute if I wanted to stop by a show -- may not get the greatest seat, but I'd get one. Having sailed the Breeze and Dream (sister ships of Magic) Lines on Magic will be longer. If you drop by last minute you'll be in the nosebleed seats behind a pole. Just sailed the Glory this past February. Lines at the buffet at peak times are a given on any ship. Pizza is always available and Deli is open late so I doubt you'll be "hangry" at all. Glory wins this one

The other thing that's important to me is a decent amount of reasonably healthy food and a good variety of food. (I'm mainly thinking of the buffet.) Both are practically the same. New Guys BBQ on Glory has awesome

Would appreciate any input on this. I've already learned so much from these boards since finding them a week ago!

Our last two cruises were on the Dream, a great ship.

I would rather have dental work done than stand in long lines. If you go to the buffet at noon, the lines will be scary long. If you want until 1:30 or so they will be much shorter. The Mongolian Wok station always has lines because the dishes are prepared individually. There were never lines for the Tandoor Grill, and their Indian dishes were excellent. As for the main dining room: we had late dining, 8:00 p.m. At 7:45 there was a ling line of people waiting for the doors to open. At 8:10 we walked straight to our table and were seated immediately. The food was excellent every night, way better than what we were expecting.

On port days, people with early excursions had a good bit of wait time. We waited until about 10:00 and just walked off.

Disembarkation day is always a zoo. We live in New Orleans and were in no particularly hurry to get off. We hung around on deck drinking coffee and reminiscing about the cruise until about 11:00. About 30 minutes later we were home.

In 30 cruises I have never waited 45 minutes to an hour in any line. The longest wait is maybe like 15 minutes or so on the buffet.. and if you hit the "made to order" stops, you might wait an extra 5-10 minutes above that. Most times I have my food and I am eating in 15 minutes tops.

Even at Guys burgers where people have posted huge line pictures, it moves quickly and you have your order in like 15 minutes.

The above info applies to all the ships I have sailed on.. so I would not worry about making your decision of the ship based on the lines

Timing matters - a cruise on Magic at Christmas was the most crowded we have ever felt - but she was sailing at capacity; the Conquest (sister of Glory) was less crowded the same week a year earlier. Magic however has a better variety of food options as she is a newer ship.

If you are sailing NOT Thanksgiving week, I would select Magic but Glory for that heavily traveled week.

are you reading about certain areas-- like Pig and Anchor which is only opened on sea days-- yea that line can be huge.

as is the last sea day choc extravanganza huge line.

But i have not once spend a large amount of time at any buffet on any cruise lines.

The worst line I ever had was my first one on my first ship. What a way to start my cruising experience? Well, embarking during lunch time and wanting the same thing everyone else wants was a long wait. Mongolian Wok was also unbearable. I would rather they did more premade options for the Wok.