Cozumel to PDC non ship excursion

Hi, we will be docking in Cozumel next week on Allure. I was thinking of taking the ferry to PDC as soon as we get off the ship & staying for 3-4 hrs. I would then have lunch on Cozumel before getting back on the ship, we are docked until 7pm. Has anyone done this? Are we taking a risk by doing this on our own instead of with RC?

Have you been to Cozumel many times as you want to go to PDC? Do you have something particular you want to go to on the mainland?

You do realize you will need to taxi in and out of town from International to catch the ferry independently, as well as fitting in with ferry schedule? I am not sure if the cruise ships have resumed their excursions to the mainland or not yet.

OP, just check the ferry schedules and make sure you allow time for pier to ferry cabs and wherever you want to go when you get there. We had a waiter a couple of cruises back that had family on the mainland, and he would either make the trip over or have them meet him in Cozumel every other week (when he could get time off). Also make sure your watch is on ship time - some ships have different times than the port.

Personally have never been interested in riding that ferry to PDC. Had one time where our ship didn't have room to dock and anchored in town. Too rough to use ship tenders so they contracted with the ferry company. Folks were getting sick before they even started the 100 yard trip to the dock.

Edited by LeeW
more

I love PDC. Food is expensive there but there's some great street food options if you want a snack before heading back.

If you walk outside international terminal and get a taxi right outside the gate it's $7 to the ferry. Just give yourself plenty of time to get back, ferries often run late or they just miss one with no explanations. I'd use the yellow and blue ferries, the white ones were the ones that were bombed and the orange ones are the ones that sometimes don't show up.