It wasn’t what I hoped or dreaded it was

IndyDenise

I would not pass up a party, but would not wear orange. I would not be comfortable honoring a monarch or any other foreign leader. Leave that part of the observance to any Dutch onboard.

I don’t think it’s honoring another foreign leader but showing respect and partaking in some festive fun.

Heck , if I met QE2 or any of her family I would curtsey.

Not because I want to be her subject but I respect her title and dedication to her country.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would not pass up a party, but would not wear orange. I would not be comfortable honoring a monarch or any other foreign leader. Leave that part of the observance to any Dutch onboard.

Nearly everyone I know thinks we should abolish the monarchy. But we all wear orange on King's day. We also enjoy St. Patricks Day. It's just fun. :D

Just emailed the following to HA:

"An email is going around to passengers on certain ships with sailings that include April 27th, indicating that it would be nice for passengers to have something orange to wear in celebration of King's Day. We're sailing on Volendam on the 27th and have not received such an email. It would be really special to have a King's Day celebration on board that day!"

The Rotterdam: HUGE, packed party in the CN. VERY high spirits. Orange everywhere, including 90% of pax wearing something orange.

Dinner in MDR had a great menu with several Dutch options. Dutch couple at next table: he in orange shirt and pants and SHOES, with blue sox. Super!

I think the Rotterdam goes all out; other ships maybe not so much from what we have seen.

Great day. great people!

Same experience. And orange was worn at dinner in the MDR.

Ours was on the Rotterdam too. Silver, I keep wondering if we were on the same cruise on the Rotterdam.

Either that or the Rotterdam is very consistent ;)

Same experience. And orange was worn at dinner in the MDR.

Ours was on the Rotterdam too. Silver, I keep wondering if we were on the same cruise on the Rotterdam.

Either that or the Rotterdam is very consistent ;)

The Rotterdam is traditionally FULL of Dutch crew. The Dutch ladies from the Front Desk loved dancing to the BB Kings on the last set each night and sang at the Piano Bar (Stryker) at Talent Nights.

Edited by SilvertoGold

The Rotterdam is traditionally FULL of Dutch crew. The Dutch ladies from the Front Desk loved dancing to the BB Kings on the last set each night and sang at the Piano Bar (Striker) at Talent Nights.

They were having a great time dancing on our cruise as well to BBKings and with Stryker. ;)

Just emailed the following to HA:

"An email is going around to passengers on certain ships with sailings that include April 27th, indicating that it would be nice for passengers to have something orange to wear in celebration of King's Day. We're sailing on Volendam on the 27th and have not received such an email. It would be really special to have a King's Day celebration on board that day!"

Let us know what you find out. We have not received any such email. Putting my coral shirt on the hanging rod so I don't forget it.

One of my best friends is Dutch. Both of her parents emigrated to the U.S. before she was born, but her older siblings still live there. She always celebrates the day. (I think that this year they will actually be there with her sister on the day. So fun!)

~Robin

We were on the Volendam last April when it was King's Day. Never received a notice nor email before sailing - but hubby happens to have a polo golf shirt that is the exact colors and wide stripes of the Dutch flag! Needless to say, it went over BIG! (he had to keep telling people he was NOT Dutch;p. I wore an orange scarf.)

Lots of festivities, but do not feel badly if you have nothing orange to wear - as has been stated, even an orange ribbon, perhaps a bracelet, etc to keep in the spirit of things.

I received that notice - I'm on Zaandam that day. Our local college colors include orange and I have a Holland hoodie sweatshirt I bought in Keukenhof Gardens one chilly day -- so depending on which climate I'm in on that day [repo from FLL to Seattle] I will wear whichever keeps me comfortable - temperature wise.

My mother's side of the family is pure Dutch - her parents immigrated from the Netherlands at the turn of the last century.

Happy to hear, in past years, the Rotterdam has celebrated this special day for the Dutch. Hope this year is no exception as I intend to celebrate to the fullest for I will be onboard that day during an Atlantic crossing. Tampa-Rotterdam, 15-30 April. Still time, come join in on the fun.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We received that identical message last year and spent considerable time trying to figure out what we could wear that was orange, as it is not a colour that either of us wear. We gave up looking for flattering orange clothes and took 2 things we already had - an orange golf hat, and an orange print scarf.

The special day on the ship arrived, and hardly anyone was wearing any orange at all! non event!

We received that identical message last year and spent considerable time trying to figure out what we could wear that was orange, as it is not a colour that either of us wear. We gave up looking for flattering orange clothes and took 2 things we already had - an orange golf hat, and an orange print scarf.

The special day on the ship arrived, and hardly anyone was wearing any orange at all! non event!

Well, I'm going to mention it on our roll-calls. At least maybe we can get a few CC'ers to observe on Volendam!

BTW, if gentlemen or children are in need of an orange t-shirt at short notice, WalMart has them for under $5. The ladies are a little more of a challenge - the best I could find for DW was a childs t-shirt in 2XL or a two-piece bathing suit! :')

Edited by bigwally

My mother's side of the family is pure Dutch - her parents immigrated from the Netherlands at the turn of the last century.

Can that get you Dutch citizenship? I can get Irish citizenship from my Grandparents, but my wife could only get Norwegian citizenship from her parents, and unfortunately that's one generation too late. :(

We were on the Rotterdam last year with Kings Day and the party. It was fun. We were not notified prior to our cruise but luckily being an Oregon State Beaver I did have an orange hat that went well. The staff did have orange hats, sun glasses and wigs that were handed out.

y4mKjZ6rX8T89qokAdTz0QCKqGUhOdbwTSwLDPAVR7MdgSB9tkR66N_CA4eqveTdbl3R0cpinKN3HCZcId2jadcJaZO_43xLNraKiOniaoQUOixqVSwkF6UNd7HAHvnKM9JwubpzPzJ726LS46rN-UVsRQ5G10-9Eb3TxF3Qu0zRYKoY4kWuX42H0CFKMW6K9WAkUUEPhW_LHkSjVeBLBR0WA?width=660&height=495&cropmode=none

y4mXQ5bUBilynR4UXMGv6QQLAOZrCXU-GTKLr9AypC2MCIPd9hkb3Ofjl3PqY3kfNGzoMx-yGqV3nt9lzKf5AfTVlGjXLk3fcMze6bqS6SsWMH0mjIf9fXEv_1taPDtMXuY_iNmDiQwxttF1pnBMcI9S38v0xNlg3K8oiwUNFps6lxHSAydcddpGLX96lLi0AxM2yl5tTTlTObSaN62EiMeuQ?width=660&height=495&cropmode=none

y4mHDBDJ7ypdUzpjSICtFpJiVUazYDFNdFtfAh8U7wNGSkf_5ebptHQ3zhQB5s9Ia_utAS4HLV72wf2c-dZ7iG8N2oIIf0-BMvtQfKFA_D1oxFbYri7MNw9b7e-xpLzW4H5LhfZpiyErxgov3SmiOYOhvdrDc_QzxY5VfxZFtqtfh5KTmBG9clPIh7BUitUpnHG6RIV85hgrRffXLARSJphTQ?width=660&height=495&cropmode=none

y4myUjVlgonhMHLaeig1lt9uW1bfzheT3ldPNCoprNJmiZFeV0_ktiXsirnxeQr2gEAGlL9oc2l4E01f_KLm8EnaecwnaZRCQJpn-jIjDC6rtSZEO0erqhU4qJ1cdsGtd6o5HNzQKcneMjC38ZdP4eSG9M2dMN_oPxMYxHWKeYqZrJ6hZ-j7KkkBChTJf57LKhiPAo-I5dsv1DnkGdm-abEpQ?width=660&height=506&cropmode=none

Kings Day, Hotel Mgr. & the Captain.

We were on the Rotterdam last year with Kings Day and the party. It was fun. We were not notified prior to our cruise but luckily being an Oregon State Beaver I did have an orange hat that went well. The staff did have orange hats, sun glasses and wigs that were handed out.

y4mKjZ6rX8T89qokAdTz0QCKqGUhOdbwTSwLDPAVR7MdgSB9tkR66N_CA4eqveTdbl3R0cpinKN3HCZcId2jadcJaZO_43xLNraKiOniaoQUOixqVSwkF6UNd7HAHvnKM9JwubpzPzJ726LS46rN-UVsRQ5G10-9Eb3TxF3Qu0zRYKoY4kWuX42H0CFKMW6K9WAkUUEPhW_LHkSjVeBLBR0WA?width=660&height=495&cropmode=none

y4mXQ5bUBilynR4UXMGv6QQLAOZrCXU-GTKLr9AypC2MCIPd9hkb3Ofjl3PqY3kfNGzoMx-yGqV3nt9lzKf5AfTVlGjXLk3fcMze6bqS6SsWMH0mjIf9fXEv_1taPDtMXuY_iNmDiQwxttF1pnBMcI9S38v0xNlg3K8oiwUNFps6lxHSAydcddpGLX96lLi0AxM2yl5tTTlTObSaN62EiMeuQ?width=660&height=495&cropmode=none

y4mHDBDJ7ypdUzpjSICtFpJiVUazYDFNdFtfAh8U7wNGSkf_5ebptHQ3zhQB5s9Ia_utAS4HLV72wf2c-dZ7iG8N2oIIf0-BMvtQfKFA_D1oxFbYri7MNw9b7e-xpLzW4H5LhfZpiyErxgov3SmiOYOhvdrDc_QzxY5VfxZFtqtfh5KTmBG9clPIh7BUitUpnHG6RIV85hgrRffXLARSJphTQ?width=660&height=495&cropmode=none

y4myUjVlgonhMHLaeig1lt9uW1bfzheT3ldPNCoprNJmiZFeV0_ktiXsirnxeQr2gEAGlL9oc2l4E01f_KLm8EnaecwnaZRCQJpn-jIjDC6rtSZEO0erqhU4qJ1cdsGtd6o5HNzQKcneMjC38ZdP4eSG9M2dMN_oPxMYxHWKeYqZrJ6hZ-j7KkkBChTJf57LKhiPAo-I5dsv1DnkGdm-abEpQ?width=660&height=506&cropmode=none

Kings Day, Hotel Mgr. & the Captain.

Great pics and great to see you posting.

It was a fun day wasn't it ;)

Um.. I wish you had never said this because I’m the type to wear the life jacket proudly. I wonder if that’s a no no in the main dining room.

I will be on a Dam ship on 27 April as well and I'm also someone who would rock the life jacket to the MDR and all around the ship. I'm guessing that sort of thing would be frowned upon.... I need to think of something good for this though. Something else to look forward to! I do hope they celebrate on Maasdam.

Also, I do recall seeing a thread about this sometime last year but you'd have to search the boards for either king's or queen's day i guess.

Edited by joekerstef

I will be on a Dam ship on 27 April as well and I'm also someone who would rock the life jacket to the MDR and all around the ship. I'm guessing that sort of thing would be frowned upon.... I need to thing of something good for this though. Something else to look forward to!

Also, I do recall seeing a thread about this sometime last year but you'd have to search the boards for either king's or queen's day i guess.

Ste phanie,

I also remember there was a thread on this subject l last year.

Wearing life jacket was mentioned in that thread, too.

{SNIP}...

We're in the same boat (:confused:).... my father's side is Dutch, his mother, born in Beverwijk, emmigrated from Rotterdam to NY on the ss Noordam as a small child in 1906; his father made the trip on the ss Amsterdam in 1897 from Amsterdam to NY in his mother's womb.

We're in the same boat (:confused:).... my father's side is Dutch, his mother, born in Beverwijk, emmigrated from Rotterdam to NY on the ss Noordam as a small child in 1906; his father made the trip on the ss Amsterdam in 1897 from Amsterdam to NY in his mother's womb.

It might have been a Dutch ship that also brought them over - I have no one to ask anymore.

My grandmother was from Goes, and grandfather from Amsterdam. I know my mother was born in 1918 and she was the oldest of five.

It might have been a Dutch ship that also brought them over - I have no one to ask anymore.

My grandmother was from Goes, and grandfather from Amsterdam. I know my mother was born in 1918 and she was the oldest of five.

It wouldn't be surprising if they did make the trip on HAL ships. I'm lucky that my grandmother (dad's mom) lived with us for several months when I was a teenager. I learned some family history and to speak a little Dutch (nearly forgotten now). I've since been able to find lots of corroborating evidence for their crossings on that ancestry website everyone knows, things like passenger manifests and immigration and census records.

BTW, I'd love to hear how the Zaandam looks and has changed after her drydock; I'm booked on her for 40 days in September 2018.

HAL confirmed festivities on the Volendam:

"King’s Day will be celebrating onboard the ms Volendam on 27Apr18. On board, it is celebrated with Dutch flags and orange décor around the ship, a Dutch cocktail party (based on guest demographics), Dutch themed menu items including bitterballen, herring, stroopwafel and pea soup and Dutch History Trivia."