How do you work out an upgrade ?

rubydoobydoo

Hi

Does anyone know how the upgrade pricing works ?

For example If I booked my balcony at

£3k but it has now increased to £5k for a balcony and £5,300 for concierge

If I wanted to upgrade how would the cost work out

Would I just pay the difference in the grades

So £300 or would have I have pay the difference from the price I paid so £2,300 ?

Thank you

Hi

Does anyone know how the upgrade pricing works ?

For example If I booked my balcony at

£3k but it has now increased to £5k for a balcony and £5,300 for concierge

If I wanted to upgrade how would the cost work out

Would I just pay the difference in the grades

So £300 or would have I have pay the difference from the price I paid so £2,300 ?

Thank you

You are best asking your TA as some quoted prices you see are for new bookings only and have no bearing on what the actual cost is to upgrade. Chances are, if your price has increased then you’d be paying the 2 grand to upgrade ;).

You are best asking your TA as some quoted prices you see are for new bookings only and have no bearing on what the actual cost is to upgrade. Chances are, if your price has increased then you’d be paying the 2 grand to upgrade ;).

Ok thanks

We booked direct with Celebrity but trying to phone them is a bit of a nightmare lol

Don't think that the UK rules are the same as the US, so don't take as certain any input except from someone who knows the UK rules.

The rules here will mean that to upgrade in this case will most probably cost £2300. I’ve had experience of it a few times. Even with price drops it’s not very straight forward because they roll back the price of any cabins to when you originally booked and work it from there. They get you every time I’m afraid.

Phil

You would pay the difference between the fare you booked at and the current fare. In your case it would be 2300 GBP. Upgrades can work for you when the prices go down, not up.

The same pricing rules apply to the UK.

Not sure if this helps but will pass on my experience earlier this year. Already had a booking made direct with X in the UK, asked to upgrade and they said yes I could but the prices would be based on those at the time I made the initial booking despite the fact they were actually selling for less when I asked about it.

Not sure if this helps but will pass on my experience earlier this year. Already had a booking made direct with X in the UK, asked to upgrade and they said yes I could but the prices would be based on those at the time I made the initial booking despite the fact they were actually selling for less when I asked about it.

That is really weird especially as they would not usually be able to tell what the prices were for other categories at the time you booked. The representatives can usually see current prices on their system. Are you sure that they were not saying that the offer you wanted to take advantage of was for new bookings only and they were actually saying that, as yours was not a new booking, there was a different price for you? That price may well have not have changed.

That’s the same policy as P and O

You pay the price it was on the day you booked, even if there’s a big price drop

We had that happen once when the balconies were dropped to far less than the inside we’d booked, if we wanted to change we’d have to pay the price they were on the day we booked

That is really weird especially as they would not usually be able to tell what the prices were for other categories at the time you booked. The representatives can usually see current prices on their system. Are you sure that they were not saying that the offer you wanted to take advantage of was for new bookings only and they were actually saying that, as yours was not a new booking, there was a different price for you? That price may well have not have changed.

Celebrity maintains data on all historical prices and any changes, the rep on the phone cannot access this info from their screens.

In reply to Project gal, I confirm that they most certainly can view historical prices, I still have the printouts of the quote for various cabins and what they quoted when I asked about the upgrade were spot on.

In reply to Project gal, I confirm that they most certainly can view historical prices, I still have the printouts of the quote for various cabins and what they quoted when I asked about the upgrade were spot on

Yikes. That's very informative. I must admit Phil's post initially puzzled me... so it really is tough luck to UK bookings if there is a big price drop post final payment.

ETA if the drop was big enough pre final payment you could forfeit your deposit, re book and still come out ahead.

Yikes. That's very informative. I must admit Phil's post initially puzzled me... so it really is tough luck to UK bookings if there is a big price drop post final payment.

ETA if the drop was big enough pre final payment you could forfeit your deposit, re book and still come out ahead.

When you've made final payment and if you are in time with Celebrity, having done the booking via a travel agent, it might be worth cancelling the old booking, losing your deposit and do a new one under the new price. If you ask Celebrity to work out how much it is just to upgrade they give you a silly price. Even rebooking always seems to cost a lot more than the website infers.

Phil

When you've made final payment and if you are in time with Celebrity, having done the booking via a travel agent, it might be worth cancelling the old booking, losing your deposit and do a new one under the new price. If you ask Celebrity to work out how much it is just to upgrade they give you a silly price. Even rebooking always seems to cost a lot more than the website infers.

Phil

Did that once and worked fine, choice of cabins is not good now though and we are a tad fussy about our 'spot' on the ship.