Lobster in crown grill

misspuss

Can someone tell me if the lobster tail in the crown grill is Maine lobster or warm water lobster?

Warm water and small. They're something like 4". Not really worth the upcharge.

Our last cruise we had almost $1000 OBC and had to spend it somewhere, so we got the lobster when we went to CG, but wouldn't do it again if using our "own" money.

Some have complained they only got one tail for the $10 upcharge!! That would be a definite NO WAY!!

The lobster thing is really a bit of a joke on most cruise lines (including Princess) They generally use a low cost warm water lobster tail (a local diner used to sell 2 for $12.99 including sides) which are often overcooked and have little flavor. We always suggest that cruisers going out of Port Everglades..who want real lobster...go to Kelly's Landing for dinner...the night before their cruise. That New England/style cafe/restaurant sells real live Maine Lobster (flown in) for about $20 (a 1 - 1/1/4 pounder). They also have a wonderful 2 pounder for about $35 (this includes sides).

Hank

“Maine” lobster is essentially cold water lobster. Any lobster caught north of Cape Cod is cold water lobster which means that there’s no difference between having lobster in Boston, MA vs. Rockport, ME. The lobsters don’t know about state lines. Ships have frozen lobster which is not the same flavor or consistency as fresh lobster. Call me a lobster snob but I never order it on a ship.

We were just on Wind Surf and had the most amazingly good grilled Maine lobster. Tender and tasty.

A world apart from Princess lobster. I don't even bother with it on Princess now.

And you have as many as you wanted on Windstar ships.

Its a different cruise world altogether on the smaller lines, and if you book it right it need not cost more than Princess depending on cabin choice etc. YMMV.

I almost skipped the lobster in MDR on our recent cruise. I ended up having it anyway and was - slightly - surprised. It wasn't horrible. Yes, it was tiny but they gave you as many as you wanted and actually had butter to go on it. Granted it wasn't great lobster but it was far better than I have had on Princess before - at least since 2011 when I had some that was about the same. The last time I had it in CG it was really (really!) terrible.

I look forward to doing an East Coast cruise one of these days and getting "real" lobster. I actually had fantastic lobster once here in Chico, CA but it was a Christmas dinner for work and my boss not only booked a private room and had the main chef come in to cook for us but also had huge lobster tails flown in from back East. OMG it was good. I've never had lobster like that before or since but it made me aware of how poor lobster here in California really is.

Guess we should specify that so-called Maine Lobster is Lobster Americanus which is a complete lobster with claws and body (which has the part many would call the tail). Eating these things takes some skill (or another telling you how to do it) and they are nothing like the so-called "tails" served on most ships. The norm for Maine Lobster is that they are kept alive until tossed in the pot whereas "lobster tails" are usually frozen.

For those who have experienced the cold water Maine or "Canadian" (being nice to our friends north of the border) it just melts in your mouth and has a wonderful flavor. The "Tails" served on ships are a very distant cousin...but lack the flavor. As a frequent cruiser we think the tails are better then no lobster...but hardly worth the extra $10 charged in the Crown Grill.

Hank

Can someone tell me if the lobster tail in the crown grill is Maine lobster or warm water lobster?

They are warm water lobsters Small & Terrible. Maine lobster are 1,000 times better.

I wouldn’t eat them even if they were giving them away for free.

Tony

They are warm water lobsters Small & Terrible. Maine lobster are 1,000 times better.

I wouldn’t eat them even if they were giving them away for free.

I’m with you. I never order lobster on a ship, even when it’s been free in the dining room. I’ll be back in Boston on the North Shore in October and can’t wait to have lobster and some clam chowdah.

I’m with you. I never order lobster on a ship, even when it’s been free in the dining room. I’ll be back in Boston on the North Shore in October and can’t wait to have lobster and some clam chowdah.

Hi Pam,

Do remember or have you ever had a baked stuffed lobster with lobster at Jimmy’s Harborside restaurant in Boston? To me it was soooooo good. :)

Tony

Apparently my tastebuds are different from those of the previous posters.

I have always had the lobster tails as my main when I go to the Crown grill, and have always found them, while small, to be tender and tasty. I love the sweet smoky flavor from them having being grilled. Small, but they make up for that by serving about 4 of them. And, of course, melted butter comes with them. It's one of my favorite meals onboard.

Hi Pam,

Do remember or have you ever had a baked stuffed lobster with lobster at Jimmy’s Harborside restaurant in Boston? To me it was soooooo good. :)

Tony

Lobster Savannah at Locke Ober's or selecting your lobster as you walked over the the bridge and into the dining room at Anthony's Pier 4?

I have pictures of the original Kelly's Landing in South Boston; my parents use to go there way back in their undergrad days for fried clams.

Never order cruise ship lobster.

Nostalgia.....

Darcy

Warm water and small. They're something like 4". Not really worth the upcharge.

Our last cruise we had almost $1000 OBC and had to spend it somewhere, so we got the lobster when we went to CG, but wouldn't do it again if using our "own" money.

Some have complained they only got one tail for the $10 upcharge!! That would be a definite NO WAY!!

I had lobster in the CG and it was smaller than what they served in the dining room for free

Lobster Savannah at Locke Ober's or selecting your lobster as you walked over the the bridge and into the dining room at Anthony's Pier 4?

I have pictures of the original Kelly's Landing in South Boston; my parents use to go there way back in their undergrad days for fried clams.

Never order cruise ship lobster.

Nostalgia.....

Darcy

As we said in another post, we really enjoy Kelly's Landing in Ft Lauderdale (short walk from the Embassy Suties on 17th). DW and I have a little inside "saying" that is basically we know that the best seafood we will get on a cruise is the night before we board the ship when we go to that low priced restaurant. Not only do they have great prices on Maine/New England Lobster (these are the guys who are moving around in a tank until they go into the pot) but this restaurant know how to make a great chowder! We do have a cruise out of Port Everglades later this year...and the night before you will find me pulling apart my 2 pounder...after savoring the clam chowder.

Hank

Tony

Yup. Closer to me was the General Glover in Swampscott. Of course, the “go to” place for me was Maddy’s “Sail Loft” in Marblehead. I like Legal Seafood’s clam chowder but thought the rest was overpriced. Used to go to the “No Name” in Boston.

]Guess we should specify that so-called Maine Lobster is Lobster Americanus which is a complete lobster with claws and body (which has the part many would call the tail). Eating these things takes some skill (or another telling you how to do it) and they are nothing like the so-called "tails" served on most ships. The norm for Maine Lobster is that they are kept alive until tossed in the pot whereas "lobster tails" are usually frozen.[/color]

For those who have experienced the cold water Maine or "Canadian" (being nice to our friends north of the border) it just melts in your mouth and has a wonderful flavor. The "Tails" served on ships are a very distant cousin...but lack the flavor. As a frequent cruiser we think the tails are better then no lobster...but hardly worth the extra $10 charged in the Crown Grill.

Hank

In a previous thread I was assured by Pam in CA that lobster tails were readily available in places such as Bar Harbor and that they are wonderfully delicious. I doubt she would have given me bad information or that the tails were inferior. Surely, given her comments, there must be "genuine" lobster tails of high quality available rather than whole lobsters. (I have also seen live lobsters in tanks available in California but have no idea where they are sourced.)

I will definitely give Kelly’s Landing a try on you recommendation.

BTW my wife loved Anthony’s Pier 4 in Boston. Her favorite choice was The Steem Bucket there was a Lobster, Little neck clams, Musels and Shrimp in the bucket.

Thanks Hank.

Tony

“Maine” lobster is essentially cold water lobster. Any lobster caught north of Cape Cod is cold water lobster which means that there’s no difference between having lobster in Boston, MA vs. Rockport, ME. The lobsters don’t know about state lines. Ships have frozen lobster which is not the same flavor or consistency as fresh lobster. Call me a lobster snob but I never order it on a ship.
Hi Pam, I was recently at Costco and they had cold water lobster in the frozen section. Do you think that would be any good?

I have always had the lobster tails as my main when I go to the Crown grill, and have always found them, while small, to be tender and tasty. I love the sweet smoky flavor from them having being grilled. Small, but they make up for that by serving about 4 of them. And, of course, melted butter comes with them. It's one of my favorite meals onboard.

Same here! I was almost wondering if I have been enjoying horrible lobster all this time. I cannot remember a time when the lobster has been really bad on Princess. And, those jumbo shrimp they've started serving with the lobster dinner on formal night has been great as well. The couple of times I've had the lobster in the Crown Grill has been fantastic. I've had bad lobster before ... just not my experience on Princess. They aren't the fabulous Maine lobster tails that I've had up in New England but they have been pretty darned good in my opinion.

I also think the Lobster in the crown grill is VERY good. I don't think the Lobster served in the dining room is too shabby either. On our last cruise in February, we ate in the crown grill twice. Both times we added the lobster to our steak. First time we had encountered the $10 additional charge if you wanted lobster. Both nights, our waiter did not charge us the extra $10 charge.

Yup. Closer to me was the General Glover in Swampscott. Of course, the “go to” place for me was Maddy’s “Sail Loft” in Marblehead. I like Legal Seafood’s clam chowder but thought the rest was overpriced. Used to go to the “No Name” in Boston.

Hi Pam, Your right about all of the restaurants they were all so good!!

My favorite dinner at the General Glover was the Prime Rib captain cut. How about the baked stuff Lobster Pie at the Hilltop.

Tony

Just returned from Ruby and had Lobster at Crown Grill. Not good at all. Looked like it had been run over by a truck. Presentation was horrible. Lobster was split down the middle not layered on top of the shell. Was no bigger than a large shrimp. My wife couldn't finish hers because it was like chewing on rubber bands. Should of went for the lamb chops.:cool:

My favorite dinner at the General Glover was the Prime Rib captain cut. How about the baked stuff Lobster Pie at the Hilltop.

Forgot about Hawthorne-By-The-Sea as well. Anything at any of those restaurants were good. Loved their popovers. RIP the Hilltop. Understand they kept the cows.

When you live where lobsters are caught and served fresh, anything else is really not the same. You get spoiled and really can taste the difference. The consistency is different. Have no idea about Costco lobster.