Port Canaveral customs -- HORRIBLE!!

We got off the Majesty of the Seas yesterday. Port Canaveral customs was HORRIBLE! I have been on 16 cruises -- probably half of them out of Port Canaveral. I have never waited so long to clear customs (an hour +). There were three windows open. The porters got priority at one of them, slowing the line down even further. I kindly complained to several people who all emphatically explained that this was not Royal Caribbean's fault, but rather the fault of changes made by Port Canaveral people. I believe it. Everyone was frustrated -- customers, agents, shuttle drivers, etc. Multiple people stressed that we call the Port directly to complain. I was told that the day before was even worse (bigger ship)! If you have experienced problems or experience them in the future please reach out to the Port to complain -- that is the only way this thing will get fixed. I would very seriously reconsider cruising out of Port Canaveral in the future if this does not get fixed. Nobody wants to end a cruise with such a negative (and easily fixable) experience. Has anyone else experienced this recently at Port Canaveral?

That's a shame to hear.

Actually for us, the embarkation was very fast and had to almost run to keep up with the line the last 5 cruises we have been on out of PC. Sorry to hear you had a bad glitch in the process.

With U.S. citizens not having to fill out the customs forms it has helped speed it up also.

Have you cruised out of Tampa at the "new terminal six". Now THAT one is a total nightmare. Old refurbished terminal is way too small for the size of even those mid sized ships. Terrible. :(

We always get a porter and breeze right through. Even if I just have a purse, I'm getting a porter!! (of course that would never happen because I'm a big over packer) Porters are very helpful in getting you through fast and taking you right to where ever your transportation is. I have seen the big lines you are talking about and I guess it's a lack of home land security staff.

Have not heard this being an issue with Oasis - perhaps they are better prepared on that turnaround day.

My understanding is that it is a relatively new issue. I can only speak for my cruise (and what I was told about the Oasis debarkation that occurred the day before mine). I, also, had previous good experiences with Port Canaveral. In fact, I was very happy to be taking a cruise out of PC again -- previous four cruises were Galveston, Fort Lauderdale, and Tampa). Port Canaveral HAD always been the best.

We had a similar experience getting off Oasis in October. Extremely long lines and we were a somewhat early number. With the dedicated line at Customs for the Porters - it created a pay the Porters system to jump everyone else waiting in line that I don't think I've seen. It was horrible.

We try to leave Porters to people that have many bags and need the help. But the Porters were actually selling their services not from a help standpoint but from the fact you can jump in front of everyone to go in the dedicated Porters customs line.

Just off Oasis this past Sunday.. To be courteous to others with early flights we had 9:00 tags to meet limo at 10:15. No need to hang on pier for 2 hours.

Disembarking was a breeze until customs.

I believe they had 13 Customs agent booths there, but only had 4 open.

Long lines.

Yes, if I had to do over I would of spent the $5- 10 for a porter and go ahead of all others waiting in line. Doesn't seem fair l, but that's the system.

Edited by gdy0354

Got off Majesty end of March and one of the port employees (Not customs) says it is worse now because the ship brings down food for the Customs Agents and they go have breakfast and the line crawls.

Don't know the truth, I always pay for a porter even with rollaboards on a short cruise, just to speed up the process.

That's a shame to hear.

Actually for us, the embarkation was very fast and had to almost run to keep up with the line the last 5 cruises we have been on out of PC. Sorry to hear you had a bad glitch in the process.

With U.S. citizens not having to fill out the customs forms it has helped speed it up also.

Have you cruised out of Tampa at the "new terminal six". Now THAT one is a total nightmare. Old refurbished terminal is way too small for the size of even those mid sized ships. Terrible. :(

Actually my sister arrived yesterday in Philly from Rome, and she told me that she had to fill out the customs paper. Guess it's something new, because last time I entered the USA on March 17 ( Aruba Pre Clearance) I didn't have to fill out the blue form. Will see in a couple of weeks.

Actually my sister arrived yesterday in Philly from Rome, and she told me that she had to fill out the customs paper. Guess it's something new, because last time I entered the USA on March 17 ( Aruba Pre Clearance) I didn't have to fill out the blue form. Will see in a couple of weeks.

Did she embark in Rome? I am talking about closed loop U.S. citizens leaving from the U.S. and returning to the U.S. not having to fill out the customs forms now.

On our cruise last year we decided to wait and get off with the very last group. We checked out of the room around 8:15, then went up to the Cafeteria and had a nice, relaxing breakfast. Got off the ship at around 9:15 and no lines. Granted we were on a smaller Carnival ship out of Port Canaveral. We plan to again stay on the ship as long as possible on this year's cruise also-will see how it goes....

We also did the last ones off thing last summer and had the same experience, walked off when our number was called, luggage was waiting for us and no line at Customs. We didn’t have anywhere to be afterwards so there was no need to stand in 2 hours of lines or wake up at the butt crack of dawn.

my friend had the same problem, huge lines to get off and only porters which you pay for had priority and this caused backups & delays as only 2 lines for others, I believe she was told that the port is under new management and this has been issue the last couple weeks, so those who cruised earlier may have escaped the massive lines and wait. Call Royal Caribbean and complain its the only way things will change and with summer coming its going to be bad!