Bid system--when you have three cabins

jessicak76

Question: New to the bid system.

We have three couples traveling under three different reservations; with three different cabins (all in the same class in a row).

How does it work if we want to bid on the Haven 3 bedroom suite and it says a min bid of $2500 per person? Does just one couple bid on it? Then if we get it, the two other rooms can join in--but then they have to pay $2500 each? Or would it just be the $5000 for all 6 people? Does the bid take into account what you've already paid for the cruise and your are just paying the balance of what you bid after what you paid? (ie if the cruise is paid in full at $1600; and the bid is $2500--are you only paying $900 extra)?

The problem is that that room would be awarded on week of cruise. The other two rooms would be in the 100% penalty range for their rooms. And you would still need to pay the 3-6 person supplement to add them to the 3 BR suite.

So,,,, Basically doesn’t work that way.

Curious- do you think if our reservation was for one reservation for 6 people (3 cabins); as opposed to 3 reservations (1 cabin each), the min bid for the Haven would have displayed lower than $2500 pp?

IMO, I would think that the premise is that you would give up your lower rate for the higher rate cabin at the winner bid amount. Don't think it would work with 3 separate cabins since it is basically an exchange of one lower rate cabin for a higher rate cabin.

MARAPRINCE

Curious- do you think if our reservation was for one reservation for 6 people (3 cabins); as opposed to 3 reservations (1 cabin each), the min bid for the Haven would have displayed lower than $2500 pp?

We are a family of 7, book in 2 connecting cabins, 2 different reservations.

Your bid is not for 6 people in 3 cabins. It is for 2 people in one cabin. Whoever wins the bid gets the cabin. The other two cabins will remain in their current cabin.

It looks like you haven't done enough research just yet so here's something which might help:

https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/content/upgrade-advantage-faq

This is specifically related to your situation (replace the number of cabins already paid for:

10. If I have two reservations can I bid only once and if accepted, cancel the second reservation and move the guests into the upgraded cabin?

No, if you have two cabins you will need to submit two separate bids and they will be considered independently. NCL cannot guarantee that both reservations will be upgraded. In the case that one of the reservations gets upgraded, you cannot move the other guests into the upgraded cabin. All reservations cancelled within the penalty period will be subject to cancellation fees.

Question: New to the bid system.

We have three couples traveling under three different reservations; with three different cabins (all in the same class in a row).

How does it work if we want to bid on the Haven 3 bedroom suite and it says a min bid of $2500 per person? Does just one couple bid on it? Then if we get it, the two other rooms can join in--but then they have to pay $2500 each? Or would it just be the $5000 for all 6 people? Does the bid take into account what you've already paid for the cruise and your are just paying the balance of what you bid after what you paid? (ie if the cruise is paid in full at $1600; and the bid is $2500--are you only paying $900 extra)?

You can't do this... I mean, you could do it, but you end up losing in the end. You couldn't cancel the two other rooms because you can't add people to the booked to fill up the three bedrooms. I don't think you'd even be able to get the keycards for them for that room either, because it's only the people in the one specific stateroom being upgraded who are supposed to move into the new room.

If the bid is $2500 per person, you're paying an additional $5000 than what you already paid, so $5000 + $1600 is $6600; at that point, I'd just price out the cost of the three bedroom haven suite, divide by the number of people, and compare that to the cost for all three staterooms and depending on how close you are to sailing pay the penalty for cancelling the other two rooms.

... I was trying to sift thru all the FAQ, and trying to do research. It's all new and kinda confusing.

You have three cabins now, and despite some rare cases in the old upgrade system where cabins were combined, you will have three cabins when you sail. In your case you can just make the Garden Villa bid for just one of the cabins and no bids for the other two cabins. If you win you will pay the bid amount times two people and officially only those two will be in the GV, the guests in the other two cabins will officially remain in their non-suite cabins. What happens once you are on board will be up to the concierge. In all cases the other guests will be allowed to spend as much time in the GV cabin as they want - although I have heard of one rare case where they locked the other two bedrooms and would not let other guests sleep there. If this is a Haven (Jewel class) ship it may be more difficult to persuade the concierge to give Haven perks to your other four officially non-Haven passengers. If this is a non-Haven ship (Dawn or Star) it may be a bit easier to get the basic suite perks granted to the others. Again it will be totally up to the discretion of the concierge.

For me it was actually cheaper to book my extra people in a lower cabin than book them as 3rd/4th GV guests and pay for their beverage packages. In my case on a Dawn class ship I went to check in with the other non-suite guests through the normal lines and did not assume anything. At check in the concierge was called over and I explained the situation. I agreed he was not obligated to help them in any way, but I would be sure to reward any generosity he could provide, read that as tip him well. We were lucky and they were given key card access to the GV and bedroom and were given all suite perks. I still had to pay for the other cabin and it sailed empty. It will be a chance you will have to take if you make the bid.