Are local network TV channels still gone?

Doggielover68

Carnival had a plus by offering network TV programming on their TVs. Most other cruise lines did not have this. To me who cruises a lot (up to 3 months a year) being able to relax in the cabin on occasion and watch some network programming was a nice perk. I am sorry they did this cutback.

Wonder how much they save by taking away those channels?

I think not much, if anything. A better question might be why, and by how much, did the network channels jack their rates.

It seems to be an annual event when at least one of the satellite or cable providers loses a local channel for a while over a contract dispute.

it's not the individual networks, it's the provider, like Directv. Soon come, $100 a week for network upgrade. This would not shock me in any way. We wrote a letter after our B2B on the Conquest last 2 weeks. We were upset by the lack of internet and TV. They replied with a stock, sorry for your inconvenience, hope to see you again. I wrote back that, you did not address any of my queries, why would I cruise Carnival again? The next email still did not address any of the issues I mentioned, but offered a $100 OBC for our next cruise. Maybe

I think not much, if anything. A better question might be why, and by how much, did the network channels jack their rates.

It seems to be an annual event when at least one of the satellite or cable providers loses a local channel for a while over a contract dispute.

Happens regularly to me in my town with one of the networks but after a day or two an agreement is reached and it always comes back. Doesnt seem like that will happen here

Happens regularly to me in my town with one of the networks but after a day or two an agreement is reached and it always comes back. Doesnt seem like that will happen here

With the new contract soon comes a price increase that is passed along. Other cruise lines don't play that game and Carnival apparently decided to join them.

Will network channels come back? Probably not. but every few years Carnival seems to switch providers/services, so who knows.

If the right terms are used it makes sense. The major "networks" broadcast their content to their affiliates which comprise of their networks for free "over the air" service. The commercials you see pay for the content. Cable & satellite providers pay a fee for this content to put on their system which you pay for with a subscription.

All this is relatively cheap on land but at sea the content must be fed to a ship that is moving and must maintain a system able to handle the vast amount of data that is transmitted.

All this is expensive and as it's not part of the core service and generates no revenue, it's highly likely to be cut or restricted. As stated above, Carnival wants you spending not chillin' in your room watching Blue Bloods or "local news"

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

"All this is relatively cheap on land but at sea the content must be fed to a ship that is moving and must maintain a system able to handle the vast amount of data that is transmitted."

This is similar to what most private boats use to attain satellite signal at sea.

https://www.thegpsstore.com/KVH-TracVision-TV3-Satellite-TV-with-IP-Enabled-TV-Hub-P4090.aspx?msclkid=2d723ba954eb1b1a8e81617b4c84aaeb

These are gimballed satellite receivers, which follow the signal. We kept our boat in BVI and St.Martin. You subscribe to to Directv S.A., so Fox is in English but the commercials are in Spanish. As far as costs, after the initial investment is not much more than on land. Obviously the one on the ship is huge. You know they have the signal as they show network TV in public areas and choose not to share this experience with their guests

Why would you think they are coming back?

We can assume that contracts are not permanent, so something could change. We won't hold our breaths that this could change back to the better, but it is certainly possible.

Carnival had a plus by offering network TV programming on their TVs. Most other cruise lines did not have this. To me who cruises a lot (up to 3 months a year) being able to relax in the cabin on occasion and watch some network programming was a nice perk. I am sorry they did this cutback.

Same here.

CNN may be paying them for near exclusivity, like they do in some airports.

Carnival showing CNN is nothing new, so I think not.

I would say that Carnival carrying CNN exclusive to all other news networks is new.

All for the sake of "programming", I might also say. But I didn't actually say that.

We can assume that contracts are not permanent, so something could change. We won't hold our breaths that this could change back to the better, but it is certainly possible.

While the contract obviously can be (and most likely will be) rewritten at some point in the future, most contracts last between 1-5 years. So while those channels could come back, it won't be anytime soon like many here are hoping for. Since this was a recent change that was the reason for my statement.