NCL Europe Age Requirements - Need Personal Experience and/or written prof

Manatee Mom

Hi I need help, I keep getting different answers. I know if you are European you only have to be 18 to sail in Europe with out someone older. My son and roommate (who are 19) are doing a semester abroad and want to hop on the NCL Epic in June or any other ship they can get on. But I keep getting different answers. 1. No, has to have someone over 21 2.Since he is going to other Countries before getting on the ship he can. 3. Yes they can. I am scared to book and then him get to the port and not be allowed to board. Does anyone have personal experience with this or know where I can find it in writing that he can travel? (FYI he has already been on NCL 3 times, and over 30 cruises all together)

I booked in Spain but through the UK and the booking conditions were that there had to be someone 21 years or older in each cabin but that was in Feb last year it may have a changed

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Are you perhaps confusing the drinking age on European cruises (18) with the age requirement (21).

What are Norwegian Cruise Line's Age Requirements?

Age Requirements for Travel

Note: These terms are effective at the time of boarding.

Traveling with Infants:

• At least six (6) months of age on the day of boarding
  • At least twelve (12) months of age on the day of boarding if your cruise has 3 or more consecutive days at sea.

Traveling with Minors and Young Adults:

Norwegian Cruise Lines policy dictates that a minor or young adult under the age of 21 must be accompanied in the same stateroom by a guest 21 years of age or older at the time of boarding.

• Minors – an individual under the age of 18 on the day of embarkation/boarding.
  • Young Adult– an individual between the ages of 18 and 20.

Note: Two people under the age of 21 may travel together in the same stateroom if they are a married couple and provide proof of marriage to a Norwegian Cruise Line representative at the pier prior to boarding.

Traveling with Minors Unaccompanied by Parent or Legal Guardian*:

The following documents must be supplied at the pier during check-in:

• 2) Copy of both parents/legal guardians Driver’s License or other Government Issued IDAdoptive parents, legal guardians or persons separated or divorced are advised to keep legal and other relevant documents available in order to clarify custody rights.

*If travelling to Canada, you’ll the following document in addition to items #1 and 2 (Alaska, Pacific Coastal, and Canada/New England Itineraries):

Canadian entry requirements stipulate that a child under the age of 18 traveling alone, or with person(s) other than both parents, should be in possession of a letter (preferably notarized) from the parents or legal guardian containing:

• Authorization for the child to travel with another person and to be outside the country;
  • The name and a 24-hour contact telephone number of the parents or guardian;
  • The destination and length of stay in Canada.

I've just had a look on the UK site and it appears that UK citizens aged 18-20 could cruise with NCL in the Med without someone over the age of 21... but bookings can't be made online. However for US citizens it remains 21 as the minimum age.

Here's a copy and paste of the exact wording (no point in me giving you a link as I am sure it will just redirect you to the US page rather than the UK one)...

Company policy states that guests under 18 years of age (for guests who are citizens of the United States of America/Canada/China or guests travelling on an itinerary in North America or China the age is 21) must be accompanied in the same, connecting, or side by side stateroom by a guest who is 18 years of age (for guests who are citizens of the United States of America/Canada/China or guests travelling on an itinerary in North America or China the age is 21) or older at the time of embarkation (staterooms opposite of each other are not applicable under this policy). For guests under the age of 18 travelling with an accompanying adult, who is not the minor's parent or legal guardian, a Parent/Guardian Release Form* that authorises the minor's travel and further authorises medical treatment in case of an emergency must be given to a Norwegian Cruise Line representative at the pier during check-in. Failure to present the completed form at embarkation may result in boarding being denied, with no refund provided.

Bookings for guests between the ages of 18 and 20 years old can be handled through our Reservations department only.

I've just had a look on the UK site and it appears that UK citizens aged 18-20 could cruise with NCL in the Med without someone over the age of 21... but bookings can't be made online. However for US citizens it remains 21 as the minimum age.

Here's a copy and paste of the exact wording (no point in me giving you a link as I am sure it will just redirect you to the US page rather than the UK one)...

Company policy states that guests under 18 years of age (for guests who are citizens of the United States of America/Canada/China or guests travelling on an itinerary in North America or China the age is 21) must be accompanied in the same, connecting, or side by side stateroom by a guest who is 18 years of age (for guests who are citizens of the United States of America/Canada/China or guests travelling on an itinerary in North America or China the age is 21) or older at the time of embarkation (staterooms opposite of each other are not applicable under this policy). For guests under the age of 18 travelling with an accompanying adult, who is not the minor's parent or legal guardian, a Parent/Guardian Release Form* that authorises the minor's travel and further authorises medical treatment in case of an emergency must be given to a Norwegian Cruise Line representative at the pier during check-in. Failure to present the completed form at embarkation may result in boarding being denied, with no refund provided.

Bookings for guests between the ages of 18 and 20 years old can be handled through our Reservations department only.

Thank you!!!! That is exactly what I needed to know. Yes, Europeans 18-20 can travel without someone older. It still doesn't help my son unfortunately. It really stinks, I thought it would be a lot safer for him to see Europe this way than buses and trains on his on....... Do you know if there is any cruise line going out of the UK or Barcelona that allows 18-20 year olds? P&O or any other not American company?

Thank you!!!! That is exactly what I needed to know. Yes, Europeans 18-20 can travel without someone older. It still doesn't help my son unfortunately. It really stinks, I thought it would be a lot safer for him to see Europe this way than buses and trains on his on....... Do you know if there is any cruise line going out of the UK or Barcelona that allows 18-20 year olds? P&O or any other not American company?

Have you looked into Aida cruises? They are a German line and I don't know how many languages will be broadcast on board. It is also a casual line, no formal nights and would probably fit in well with a teens dress code.

https://www.aida.de/en/aida-cruises/company/fact-and-figures/fleet.23923.html

Our daughter did a year study abroad in Florence. I don’t think there’s a kid in the program that didn’t take off just about every weekend to various other countries via plane train or bus. It’s part of the experience of studying abroad and they get the hang of it quickly. Before you know it you’ll be seeing pictures on fb of them jumping out of airplanes in Switzerland.... the parent orientation biggest safety stress point was to instill importance of following local laws and to stay out of trouble by obeying them and the customs of the countries visited. Public drunkenness is a big no no and probably the most common reason to get arrested and sent home.

That said I did take the kids for 2 weeks on the Jade after the study abroad program. It was an easy way for me (not her) to see some new places in Europe. By the time I picked her up from school she’d visited more countries than I’ve been to in my life and she was far more competent than me.

She met her boyfriend on the ship. He was 20 and traveling with a bunch of other 19&20 year old US air force boys on leave from the uk. They were not accompanied by their parents or anyone over 21. They were allowed to purchase alcohol without consent however they didn’t qualify for the ubp.

Have you looked into Aida cruises? They are a German line and I don't know how many languages will be broadcast on board. It is also a casual line, no formal nights and would probably fit in well with a teens dress code.

https://www.aida.de/en/aida-cruises/company/fact-and-figures/fleet.23923.html

Onboard language is German only. Crew members do speak English but announcements (except for security announcements) and entertainment are in German only.

But you can try RCI

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/international-age-policy

No restriction to a citizenship according to their website. But I´m not sure whether you can book from the US.

We booked a cruise for our DD (18) and her friends (18,20) in August and even the German agent told our travel agent it´s not possible. We insisted that she can book and finally the supervisor agreed.

steamboats

P&O look like a likely possibility... their website says anyone over the age of 18 is classed as an adult. Another UK cruiseline would be Marella (previously Thomson/TUI).

Edited to add that as per the above comment, it also looks like Royal Caribbean may be an option.

It might be worth contacting a UK travel agent for advice and booking.

Hi I need help, I keep getting different answers. I know if you are European you only have to be 18 to sail in Europe with out someone older. My son and roommate (who are 19) are doing a semester abroad and want to hop on the NCL Epic in June or any other ship they can get on. But I keep getting different answers. 1. No, has to have someone over 21 2.Since he is going to other Countries before getting on the ship he can. 3. Yes they can. I am scared to book and then him get to the port and not be allowed to board. Does anyone have personal experience with this or know where I can find it in writing that he can travel? (FYI he has already been on NCL 3 times, and over 30 cruises all together)

If you're an American citizen, you have to be 21 to cruise on NCL, regardless of where in the world you are.

If they really want to cruise, I would suggest finding a third friend who is 21 or older and have them tag along as the 21+ party.

Thank you everyone!!!! He had to make a decision and since he couldn't get on the ship he wanted he found a teen tour that does 8 countries in 11 days before his study abroad classes start. I'm sure he will find other things to do on weekends.... He has been traveling since he was born and has been to over 20 countries already plus most of the US. We have always allowed him to drink, but he has never abused it. I'm sure this will be another great adventure for him, I just wish I was going to!

Thank you everyone!!!! He had to make a decision and since he couldn't get on the ship he wanted he found a teen tour that does 8 countries in 11 days before his study abroad classes start. I'm sure he will find other things to do on weekends.... He has been traveling since he was born and has been to over 20 countries already plus most of the US. We have always allowed him to drink, but he has never abused it. I'm sure this will be another great adventure for him, I just wish I was going to!

Sounds like he found a great alternative... hope he has a fab time and enjoys studying in Europe too. :cool: