Upgrade question

Mandalay44

Good morning, had a conversation with someone about cruising and she informed me that she calls the cruise line 2 months out to see if there are upgrades available (in hopes of a free upgrade). She has been upgraded to a suite and explained to me that as the departure date gets closer, it’s easier to sell out cheaper staterooms as opposed to suites when trying to fill the ship. Just wanted to see if anyone has done this successfully?

I've never heard of this before! It would be great if it were so...

Here's the thing- it's free to try it and if you DON'T ask the answer will ALWAYS be no, 100% of the time! I say, give it a try!

And if it works, come back here and share the happy news!

(I'm not trying for an upgrade this cruise because we booked 2 cabins for our family travelling together- almost impossible to upgrade 2 cabins at once and stay in proximity to each other).

I attempted calling for an upgrade once and it didn't lead to anything. I was told that if there were upgrades available and we were selected I would get a call. No call can that cruise, but since I have received upgrade calls and emails.

Good morning, had a conversation with someone about cruising and she informed me that she calls the cruise line 2 months out to see if there are upgrades available (in hopes of a free upgrade). She has been upgraded to a suite and explained to me that as the departure date gets closer, it’s easier to sell out cheaper staterooms as opposed to suites when trying to fill the ship. Just wanted to see if anyone has done this successfully?

She paying for the upgrade and passing it off as free. If upgrades were free, you would have people bragging here.

The OP got an embellished second hand report. A free suite would never happen

Don’t say never. I got a free suite upgrade on my Elation cruise this past March. A few days before embarkation received and email we were being upgraded from a cruise to a Jr. suite. Imagine it doesn’t happen often but it does happen. Granted this was Carnival doing it and not us cold calling Carnival which I agree the chances of anything happening are slim to none.

Have done 30 Carnival Cruises, and I JUST received my first upgrade offer ever. So, the upgrades are few and far between to begin with, and then on top of that, the chances of some "free" awesome upgrade - that would be like hitting the lottery.

I even called my PVP on our last cruise asking if he saw an upgrades available. As it is my understanding they can log into your cruise and see if there are any available as well (that is what he told me) and he said he would keep an eye on it for me and the result.... NADA!

I think whoever told the OP this was more than likely exaggerating. Unless, they happened to call in and it just so happened to coincide with an upgrade offer that was available and free on top of that! I think if I was them I would have went and bought a lottery ticket too!

We have 17 cruises on Carnival. 4 0n Hal, Six on Princess. We seldom have a guarantee, but we do this time. It involved a cruise I had to cancel last summer due to hospitalization at last minute. Carnival gave me about a fourth of it, but it was in the form of a cruise credit. I had proof of 7 days in hospital if needed, and they said I might get more by calling up the chain of authority. I was still very sick and did not do it.

I was grateful for What Carnival did do, and so we are sailing the Sunshine to Aruba this summer.

I still cannot read my bill. What is a penalty?. What is a credit.?.....So we have a guaranteed Category C Ocean View. I would love to get a Category D, they are the new cabins on Deck 5.

But we will be happy with what we get. Hope I never have a screw up like that again..

DO I have vacation protection this time? YOU bet I do.

Once we were able to upgrade to a Suite for $400.(8 day) We took it. I have never regretted it for a moment. It was a great cruise.

Don’t say never. I got a free suite upgrade on my Elation cruise this past March. A few days before embarkation received and email we were being upgraded from a cruise to a Jr. suite. Imagine it doesn’t happen often but it does happen. Granted this was Carnival doing it and not us cold calling Carnival which I agree the chances of anything happening are slim to none.

They needed your original cabin or it was taken out of service. That is the only way it happens.

In 35 cruises with Carnival, I have been phoned once with an offer to upgrade from a balcony to a suite. Would cost about $650, and I declined without even asking if that was per cabin or guest.

On my last few NCL cruises, I have been notified that I could "bid" on upgrading from a balcony to a mini or full suite (or even the Haven, I think), and they would notify me if the bid was accepted. I enjoy mid ship cabins, and didn't want to chance getting a cabin, even a mini suite way forward, so I didn't participate. For the same reason, I stopped booking guaranteed cabins on Carnival or any other line. I like to pick my location and deck!

JMO, YMMV.