Preorder bottled water?

Cruisinmsk

The gratuity is only 68 cents, hardly a decision-maker. The biggest advantage is probably having it there when you board as opposed to waiting for it.

In case you're new to this and not aware, the smart alecks telling you you're paying for something that's free and readily available are referring to water in general, not bottled water. That's NOT free and readily available. Don't let them fool you.

We preorder so it is in the room upon arrival. I have no problem with the water on the ship, but when I go into port for snorkeling/diving etc., I like to have a bottle that is disposable. That way if it gets lost, I'm not going to have to replace a water bottle when I get back home. Besides, I don't always pack my own water bottle or other refillable cup - gotta save room in my luggage for that extra swimsuit!

I prefer having the water in my cabin when I enter it around 11:30AM or so. I can open a bottle as I unpack before I head to lunch. Otherwise, at some point I will have to phone room service, order, then wait for its arrival. And there's none available when I priority board.

Wow, I'd be very careful about doing that, particularly if you were out drinking from those bottles in the sun and/or not washing them out thoroughly. https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/reuse-plastic-bottles/

That article you linked to clearly states that reusing water bottles is totally fine, and that it's not been proven about the chemicals leaching due to heat. I hardly think someone using a water bottle a couple times on a cruise is anything to fear monger over.

pre-ordering is nice because it is nice to have the items in your room waiting. Plus you can just grab a bottle of water to take off ship with you. We did not have any issues with the tap water available on the ship, but I grew up drinking well water, so to me it tasted fine.

If you purchase the cheers package, you can get your bottled water at no extra charge with it. If not, I'd pre-order for the convenience of having it when you arrive.

We actually pre-order one case even with Cheers. We drink A LOT of water, especially with Cheers, and don't want to have to remember to grab extras to bring back to the room for night/early AM.

Any advantage to preordering water ahead of time vs waiting to order from room service once on board?

It will be in your cabin when you arrive as opposed to ordering it when you board and have to wait for it. That way you can put it in your refrig right away.