Can I receive phone calls on my iPhone with the Internet plan?

My son is in Marine Bootcamp and will be doing The Crucible while we are on our cruise, I am nervous to say the least.

If he gets injured, I want to know if his Drill Instructor can call me directly on my phone? Thanks!

Yes, if you have WiFi calling set up on your phone. Set it up now at home, test by putting the phone into Airplane mode and turning on WiFi.

My son is in Marine Bootcamp and will be doing The Crucible while we are on our cruise, I am nervous to say the least.

If he gets injured, I want to know if his Drill Instructor can call me directly on my phone? Thanks!

Only if you do not have your phone in airplane mode. But you would then need to keep it off airplane mode entire cruise and everyone who is trying to reach you on the cell phone will be able to. Keeping your cell phone on can be a costly venture. You can check with your cell phone service provider as most - IF NOT ALL - have a package you can purchase for being able to use your cell phone while at sea.

Only if you do not have your phone in airplane mode. But you would then need to keep it off airplane mode entire cruise and everyone who is trying to reach you on the cell phone will be able to. Keeping your cell phone on can be a costly venture. You can check with your cell phone service provider as most - IF NOT ALL - have a package you can purchase for being able to use your cell phone while at sea.

Definitely not all carriers have packages for use at sea, Verizon definitely does not. Verizon only has pay as you go rates for calls and texts. They no longer support data while at sea.

Definitely not all carriers have packages for use at sea, Verizon definitely does not. Verizon only has pay as you go rates for calls and texts. They no longer support data while at sea.

We have T-Mobile. I thought the package would be through the cruiseline, and not the carrier?

We have T-Mobile. I thought the package would be through the cruiseline, and not the carrier?

The wifi package would be purchased through the cruise line. A cellular package can be purchased from some cellular carriers.

I would buy a Voom wifi package from the cruise line. I would verify that my phone supports wifi calling before buying the package. If your phone and carrier support wifi calling, set it up before you leave home and test it on your home wifi. Once you get on the ship, put your phone on airplane mode and then turn on wifi. Connect to the ships wifi and you will be able to make and receive calls over wifi.

The wifi package would be purchased through the cruise line. A cellular package can be purchased from some cellular carriers.

I would buy a Voom wifi package from the cruise line. I would verify that my phone supports wifi calling before buying the package. If your phone and carrier support wifi calling, set it up before you leave home and test it on your home wifi. Once you get on the ship, put your phone on airplane mode and then turn on wifi. Connect to the ships wifi and you will be able to make and receive calls over wifi.

My phone has the WiFi calling option.

You are good to go with WiFi calling.

54 hours of marine corps fun. A great accomplishment.

Semper Fi

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have ATT and have done it many times, in fact can even FaceTime. Just remember if you have a one device plan and try to log on with another device it might kick the phone off the WiFi so you will have to log back in. We had a granddaughter about to be born while on a cruise in 2015, which she did come (early) and our first glimpse was via FT.

Can you explain in layman's terms, I'm not that savvy with this ;p;p

Turn on WiFi calling on your phone now, and you will be prompted with all the info needed. This is a one time setup you need to do while connected to the cellular network. If you cannot figure out how to turn on WiFi calling, contact your cell provider.

Can you explain in layman's terms, I'm not that savvy with this ;p;p

You said your phone has a wifi calling option. Go into that setting and just follow the directions. When I initially turned on wifi calling, I was prompted to input an emergency address that the 911 system can use since any call to 911 would be going over wifi, so the 911 system would not be able to identify my location if I had an emergency. Wifi calling only works if it has an address setup in it, so since I can't put at sea, I put my home address.

Once you have input the address and turned on wifi calling. Put your phone in airplane mode, turn on wifi and connect to your home network, assuming you have one. Then, make a phone call to see that it works.

Hope that explains it.:)

Last month I was able to receive Wapp phone calls on the Regal Princess. My phone was the whole week in airplane mode though.

I was wondering about this. I broke down and bought the Voom package $$$ so that I could keep in touch with my child who is staying home. We use What's App. I knew we would be able to message each other, but I wondered about phone calls.

P.S. I love What's App. I can call my brother who lives in Mexico for free!

Are you a Marine? :):)

Me no. Father yes. I have nothing but respect for the marine corps and marine corps families.

The term fun was obviously meant in jest by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks! It was already in WiFi calling mode. I must have been messing with it when I was having trouble recently.

On the ship, can I leave it in airplane mode, and still use Internet?

Yes, just make sure WiFi is turned on.

Me no. Father yes. I have nothing but respect for the marine corps and marine corps families.

The term fun was obviously meant in jest by the way.

I know...and thanks! We have been a bit more nervous, because a Recruit in bootcamp died a few weeks ago from Pneumonia :(:(:(