Carnival Cruise and traveling with kids

JBCruiser2118

Hello!

I've heard mixed reviews on traveling on Carnival Cruise Lines with children. I will be traveling with a 14, 12 and 11 year old. I am looking at the Carnival Cruise Line (Dream) to the Bahamas. I've been told by several that Carnival is notorious for being the "party" ships, and that we will NOT want to leave our kiddos unattended.

I've also heard that they are the best ships for Pre-Teen/Teen kiddos as there is so much to do on board from the water slides, entertainment options, etc.

I would love ya'lls opinion in the topic.

Thanks!

The 'booze cruises' are those 4 days or less going to the Bahamas, especially during spring break.

Carnival is the best cruise line not named Disney for kids. Your kids will have a blast. There are some cruise lines they'd be bored out of their minds but not Carnival.

My son started cruising when he was 12. They have the kids clubs but he never liked them. Lots of kids do, he just didn't. He prefers to go do his own thing. He will wake up in the morning around 9 or so and go do his own thing. Sometimes he'll get breakfast on lido, other times he just goes straight to the water slides. He usually stays somewhere between the pool, water slides, pizza place/ ice cream or the arcade. He gets off at the ports with us and we do things in the ports but he loves being on the ship also.

Whether your kids are in the kids club or out doing their own thing, they will have a blast as will you. Enjoy your cruise!

Hello!

I've heard mixed reviews on traveling on Carnival Cruise Lines with children. I will be traveling with a 14, 12 and 11 year old. I am looking at the Carnival Cruise Line (Dream) to the Bahamas. I've been told by several that Carnival is notorious for being the "party" ships, and that we will NOT want to leave our kiddos unattended.

I've also heard that they are the best ships for Pre-Teen/Teen kiddos as there is so much to do on board from the water slides, entertainment options, etc.

Thanks!

Carnival is great for kids that age so I don't know where you heard that other stuff from. Sure, the 5 day sailings and any sailing around college spring breaks are going to be more of a booze cruise. Remember, Royal Caribbean and Norwegian are equally as good ........

My son started going to the kids club when he was about 5. The last one we were on, he was 12. There were a lot of activities for his age. We laid down ground rules and there were consequences if he did not follow them. He had a great time, loved participating and still talks about it today.Yours should have a great time!

We have had our 15 and 13 year old boys with us on four cruises and another one booked for December. I have always laid out the rules prior to sailing and they know what is expected of them. They have earned our trust to be on their own at times and I have not had an experience where the atmosphere made me hesitant to allow them to do so. Are there people having fun? Absolutely! Sometimes it’s even me!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The 'booze cruises' are those 4 days or less going to the Bahamas, especially during spring break.

Carnival is the best cruise line not named Disney for kids. Your kids will have a blast. There are some cruise lines they'd be bored out of their minds but not Carnival.

My son started cruising when he was 12. They have the kids clubs but he never liked them. Lots of kids do, he just didn't. He prefers to go do his own thing. He will wake up in the morning around 9 or so and go do his own thing. Sometimes he'll get breakfast on lido, other times he just goes straight to the water slides. He usually stays somewhere between the pool, water slides, pizza place/ ice cream or the arcade. He gets off at the ports with us and we do things in the ports but he loves being on the ship also.

Whether your kids are in the kids club or out doing their own thing, they will have a blast as will you. Enjoy your cruise!

Agree with this 100%

Bill

Hello!

Thanks!

We're heading on our 5th Carnival cruise in less than 8 weeks (woot!). Our boys are now 15 & 18. They have truly enjoyed every cruise, if they hadn't we would not repeat. As stated, the party cruises are mostly on the shorter cruises. We have, of course, seen our fair share of crazies and drunks onboard, but generally you can easily figure out what areas to avoid if you don't want to see that. There are so many things for the kiddos to do, they will truly enjoy themselves.

Lots of cruisers are very loyal to their line and tend to put down the others. It’s a lot like cars, my dad wouldn’t be caught dead in a Chevy and was a die hard Ford man. There’s nothing wrong with Chevy, but don’t tell that to a Ford fan. :')

Every cruise line has something that they’re known for and that makes them stand out. Hal, Princess, and Celebrity are known for being luxurious. Disney is very kid friendly. Royal and Carnival are known to be better for families. But there’s always lots of insults flying both ways. Those cruising on the luxury lines call Carnival drunken party ships or booze cruises. Then the people on the family friendly cruises call the luxury cruises floating senior citizen centers (median age on them is usually 65 and over.)

My advice is to not listen to the negative comments. If Carnival was really that bad then how could it be one of the biggest most successful cruise lines in the world? Something brings the cruisers back again and again. We are Diamond level with Carnival with many cruises under our belts. We really don’t drink much at all and can’t stand loud obnoxious drunks or loud parties. Believe me, if Carnival cruises were full of drunks and loud parties we would NEVER have done a second cruise. ;)

Another one that's been on several Carnival cruises with kids. First, with friends who brought their kids (we left our toddlers at home) and now we bring our son with. He started when he was 12 and has been on 3 Carnival and 1 RCI. He's had a great time on all of them! He's at the age where he's in their younger teen club (Circle C on Carnival). But either line, he goes on the first night, meets kids, find the kids he has things in common with, and hangs out with them the whole time. They eat, swim, and play video games. He knows the rules (no going into other rooms, no one in our room, check in with us during the day, and when to be back for dinner and nighttime curfew). You set the rules you want/need for your kids based on how mature they are, how trustful they are, and how free they are at home.

We've also done 3 day cruises and up to an 8 day cruise on Carnival. The 3-day one was an overnight stay in the Bahamas. I remember spending time at the pool and my husband diving with sharks. While we were docked overnight, we had the formal dinner, and my husband basically missed almost the whole thing because of his shark dive! LOL! But it wasn't a big deal, I was with 8 other friends. I don't remember any problems at all, and we were younger back then. Even in our "older" age, we've still enjoyed the Carnival cruises, as well as our RCI cruise to Europe last summer.

I really feel a cruise is what you make of it and be sensible and safe, just as you would be at any other time, anywhere else. Book it and have fun!!

My 10 year old loves Carnival! He has no siblings, so he skips the kids club. That said, we still have a great time together. I think Carnival is the only line that offers PG rated comedians, and he loves that. He also loves the Hasbro Game Show, the Lip Sync Battle, the cool water slides, basketball, mini-golf, trivia, scavenger hunts, Build-a-Bear workshops, etc..He never gets bored, and we never get sick of each other. You guys will have a really great time!

My kids have been on Carnival, Disney, and RCCL. They liked them all but given the choice all three of them chose Carnival. They like the food better, they prefer water slides strongly over rock climbing walls and we have all found the staff to be more friendly on Carnival.

I have been on several of the "booze cruises" out of Long Beach. Some of them I have been in the clubs dancing, drinking etc. Others, we have had a quiet night playing cards, walking the decks, chatting etc. The ship is a big place. If you don't hang out near the adult venues with your kids, I doubt you will even see much partying regardless of the cruise you choose.

A year ago we took our then 11 year old on her first cruise, 5 nights with Carnival. I didn’t plan to let her go unattended but with texting on the hub app we relaxed that rule somewhat.

Our next cruise, 4 nights to the Bahamas also on Carnival was no more of a party cruise than the first one. By then she had turned 12 and allowed to come and go to Circle C and hang out with the kids she’d met there, again we had her text us regularly to tell us where she was going. If anything she developed a little independence and sense of direction learning her way around the ships.

Kids are as much a key target demographic for Carnival as partiers, if not more so. 24 hour soft serve, need I say more?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The kids will love it! As far as Carnival being a party ship, it really depends on when you go. It can have a party atmosphere during spring break and its quite crowded during summer, but for your kids it will be fun. Just keeps tabs on them and have them check in often, use common sense and the buddy system and it will be no worries. Have fun!

Hello!

Thanks!

From whom did you hear these "words of wisdom?"

Edited by stargate fan