Nautica/ Mumbai to Rome/ April 29-May 27, 2018 with Taj Mahal pre extension...Live

dkbustr

Dkbustr..Thanks for the great post about Oman. We lived and worked there for 2 years and it is truly a wonderful country.

Love to hear more details and specifics from the above Oregon poster about Oman, what makes it so special, interesting, etc. Glad to know it is a "wonderful country". Tell us more!! Looking forward to our two different stops via the Nautica while there in Oman later this year.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Finished June 2017 sailing on the Silver Spirit from Portugal to France along the scenic Atlantic Coast, plus great pre- and post-cruise experiences. Many interesting pictures and details on history, food, culture, etc., from my live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

Is Julie James the CD on this sailing? If so would someone currently on board ask if she will be on Nautica’s June 18 sailing r/t Dublin. We have sailed with her previously and really enjoyed her and hope she still be on for our upcoming sailing on June 18. Thanks so much.

Barbara

Talked to Julie this morning and she will indeed be on your cruise. She leaves end of July. She did mention to make sure that the reason you wanted to know wasn't so you could cancel before the cruise! She's such a kidder.

Thursday we were in Fujairah, UAE and decided to take a shorex called East Coast City Tour. It lasted ~4.5 hrs and we thought it was quite good. (part of our 'free' # of OLife excursions!)

The bus was heavily air-conditioned and both the driver and guide were good. The latter was from Egypt but knew his subject. We had maybe 40 on board and all passengers were on time at every stop and were agile.

The shorex took us to the 300 year old Fujairah Fort which is undergoing restoration and has a museum next door. Normally I'm not big on going through museums if there are sights to see but in this case it was good to go.

The ceiling decorations, historical artifacts, and displays of how people lived long ago was very interesting. There about 45 minutes spent at this stop--just the right amount of time--and there are bathrooms there.

Next we traveled through the Haijar Mountains filled with pockets of date palms, carefully cultivated for their dates which are a staple of their diet as well as an export crop.

We stopped at the Friday Market, open every day of the week, and was, as the shorex description says "a famous and colorful roadside market." Lots of bananas and fruit offerings but Mr Wonderful found a basket filled with very small clay pots, which I collect.

At $1 each, I didn't even attempt to bargain for my 2, and the gentleman gave me another little pot so 3 pots for $2 and a handshake to Dave!

There is a bathroom at the filling station next door but be aware--only 1 stall for women so make that your first stop ladies!!! (no i don't have a 'problem' but think toilet info is good to have!)

On through the Omani Dibba, across bridges spanning wadis (dry creek beds), to Al Bidiyah Mosque, the oldest in the UAE. There are over 6500 mosques in the UAE and all are stunning.

When I hear the call to prayer I have to stop and listen--so beautiful and haunting as it echoes throughout the area. It also reminds me to give thanks for what I have.

This Mosque was built in the 15th century and is of mud and local stone (which there are mountains of!)

Overheard at Terrace later that day, a woman from the shorex was complaining about not seeing the big mosque and she was going to start keeping a list of sights promised but not fulfilled.

I guess she was expecting this enormous, gorgeous building, but instead it was small house of worship built from what the people had 600 years ago.

It was still in use as we saw the sandals outside of the doors and both male (as reported by Dave) and female bathrooms had foot wash areas.

The day was so hot and despite the a/c bus we decided that we had been smart to sign up for one of the 1/2 day tours. After a while, the volcanic rock everywhere, and pretty much all the same color, began to lose its appeal and we were glad to return to the Nautica=showers, lunch, and cold drinks!!!

Fujairah is a port in the south that is at the end of the pipelined oil coming from the north in Abi Dabai. The transport of oil can avoid the often-conflicted Straits of Hormuz.

I'm so glad I got to visit a couple of ports in the UAE. Now when I watch current events unfold I will have a deep appreciation for what is going on.

We were not allowed to take pictures in the port area and we had to show both our cabin cards and a govt issued card every time we entered or left the port to a member of the military who guarded the port and boarded the bus to check every ID.

Because it is such a strategic location, security is tight but also reassures us that bad guys aren't going to get to the ship!

All is well aboard Nautica and our trivia team is doing great....often we even get points!!!

our photos: http://drdavebradley.blogspot.com/

Our next port was Muscat, Oman--the capital city. "Muscat" is actually 3 cities--the walled old part (Muscat), Matrah, a fishing village and home to Matrah Souq, and Ruwi--the Central Business District.

Lots of signs for petroleum companies you know, major dealerships for every luxury car company you've ever heard of, and beautiful houses. I've heard that the English love to come here and stay in the exclusive hotels to swim in the pools and soak up the sun. Plus one can drink alcohol there!

We decided to go on another BigBus Tour and using the kiosk set up yards away from the gangway, were able to have it billed to the room. This time, it would have been cheaper to go with the HOHO service that O offered as a shorex--but a few $ difference was ok with us.

We drove through the northern and central part of Muscat, seeing Mosques, the CBD, the Parliament Bldg , the marina, Al Alam Palace, the Sultan's home which was huge, all white, and with a water view I'm pretty much sure he didn't have to share.

The Sultan was born in 1940, western educated, traveled for a year around the world, came home and ousted his father. Moral of this story; beware your 1st born son!

The new Sultan then began building new infrastructure, modern hotels, schools for both girls and boys, and encouraged tourism--with a/c installed everywhere. The discovery of oil helped him gain importance on the world stage.

We did not visit the Grand Mosque because we would have had to leave the bus, take a taxi about 6 miles, and I would have faced a clothing exam by a guard to ascertain that my pants covered my ankles, my tunic covered my wrists, and that my headscarf covered all my hair before I could enter.

We got off at the Corniche (beach walk) and went into the Mutrah Suq (souk) which was like many of the teeming market places we've seen around the world.

Kids, women shopping, men wandering, and tourists everywhere and buying and selling going on among colorful wares.

Side alleys beckoned but I was pretty much overwhelmed by this point, but did manage to quickly buy a pair of "gold" earrings for $2. And everywhere incense burning....

The BB Tours ran a shuttle for us back to the ship--showers awaited!!! Dinner @ Polo.

Muscat is in a beautiful harbor with a lovely corniche that has ancient forts at either end of the old town. This was part of the Portuguese occupation here, built to protect their trade routes to their east.

The mountains are more colorful that in the UAE and because of oil money there are beautiful homes, parks, and landscaped areas with grass and flowers.

Muscat is a safe place for tourists but you cannot walk through the port area and again we were issued govt passes that we showed to the soldier who checked each when he boarded the bus back to the ship.

Currently we are at a day at sea....much needed personally....and tomorrow is Salalah, Oman.

Then 4 days sailing the Red Sea headed for Luxor and an overnight.. CAN. NOT. WAIT....Valley of the Kings, here we come!!!

for inquiring minds: enrichment feedback

dave was able to go to an enrichment lecture today--his first.

Clive Leatherdale spoke on "Arab World: Reflections on a Century Strife" and, based on a sample of 1, dave said it was one of the best lectures he's heard in his years on O!

Fluent speaker, good use of maps & powerpoint, knowledgeable on history, Dave thought he was excellent. Hopefully, I'll be able to go to one tomorrow. Those who know me, know i love history!

Thank you both for the information on Julie James. Thrilled she will be with us out of Dublin. We have sailed with her twice before in recent times and looking forward to this third time. Also very much enjoying your “live from”. Sounds wonderful.

Barbara

Cbb..glad you had an interesting visit in Muscat. Too bad going to the Mosque didn't work out for you as it is quite beautiful. I'm glad you mentioned HM (aka Sultan Qaboos) as he has brought the country into the modern age and is much revered by his people. In fact he used to go out to the countryside and camp (in some luxary) and personally meet with anyone who wanted to talk to him. We really enjoyed living and working (at the University) in Oman as the people were friendly and women were encouraged to drive etc.unlike Saudi. In fact, there were just as many women students at the university as men. It was quite a contrast after our time in Yemen which had nothing in its favor. The best time of year weather wise is Dec-Jan which is when the tourists come as It's cooler and greener.

Our next port was Muscat, Oman--the capital city. "Muscat" is actually 3 cities--the walled old part (Muscat), Matrah, a fishing village and home to Matrah Souq, and Ruwi--the Central Business District. The Sultan was born in 1940, western educated, traveled for a year around the world, came home and ousted his father. The new Sultan then began building new infrastructure, modern hotels, schools for both girls and boys, and encouraged tourism--with a/c installed everywhere. The discovery of oil helped him gain importance on the world stage. We did not visit the Grand Mosque because we would have had to leave the bus, take a taxi about 6 miles, and I would have faced a clothing exam by a guard to ascertain that my pants covered my ankles, my tunic covered my wrists, and that my headscarf covered all my hair before I could enter. Muscat is in a beautiful harbor with a lovely corniche that has ancient forts at either end of the old town. This was part of the Portuguese occupation here, built to protect their trade routes to their east. Currently we are at a day at sea....much needed personally....and tomorrow is Salalah, Oman. Then 4 days sailing the Red Sea headed for Luxor and an overnight.. CAN. NOT. WAIT....Valley of the Kings, here we come!!!

Super appreciate these great details, background and this excellent follow-up from cbb. WOW!! Wonderful info to prepare us for our stop in early December in Muscat. This reporting by cbb, Mike, etc., is being very helpful as we prepare for our Nov. 16-Dec. 5, 2018, Nautica sailing from Athens to Dubai. This 20-day cruise with Oceania, including our first visits to the Holy Lands, Egypt, Middle East, etc., will be an exciting way to sample these interesting parts of the world. Keep up the very good sharing!!

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 56,057 views for these postings.

yeah, well in my excitement over thinking about overnight in Luxor, i forgot my other Can't Hardly Wait To See which is Petra...and that is our next port after 4 days at sea.....my bad! Big ol' bucket item checked off, i hope!!!

tonight we dined in Terrace and the buffet was Pan Asia and it had something for everybody, I think.

Unfortunately, while we scored a 2 top at the windows we were denied the view, since the blinds were pulled. Stupid pirates!

fire hoses out on deck 5 and room attendants have made sure our curtains are pulled and no light spills out from the cabins. Blinds down in eating areas and few running lights on.....we must be nearing bad guy territory because we're running dark.

one perfect score today in trivia and our team tied for 2nd with 2 other teams! I think there was a 3 way tie for 3rd....Julie's sad she didn't stump us!!!

Good night from somewhere in the Arabian Sea....

Great updates Cynthia (cbb) and dkbustr. Helping to relive our fond memories of our time on Nautica last April/May.

Enjoy Petra - truly AMAZING! Goose bumps amazing it was for me.... Of course Luxor was a very close second!

Joe

We did Petra when we were in Israel on a land trip in Nov '06. It was fabulous, of course. We had the benefit of staying overnight in a lovely hotel created out of an old Arab village. Then we were picked up the next morning for a visit to Mt. Sinai -- which while interesting, wasn't nearly as spectacular. Those monks at Mt. Sinai really didn't like foreign visitors AT ALL. Which is not to say that I would NOT advise you not to go there. It's well worth the visit as long as you can ignore the attitude.

(To be clear, we were there with DH's cousin who was a licensed guide and she drove us through Israel. We found an agency that would give us a trip to Petra and then Mt. Sinai, returning us to Eilat, where Yafa picked us up for the continuation of our Israeli trip.)

A few years later we were at an exhibit at the NY Public Library on Abraham "and his children" (not the real title) and we walked into a room that featured a huge photo of Mt. Sinai and I immediately recognized it ...

But Petra is ... indescribable.

Personally, I would recommend a visit to Petra (as well as Israel) on a land trip. You don't have the time on a cruise that you need. BUT if you think you won't be back for a longer visit, even a short visit is something you won't forget.

It's sort of like Paris in one day from Le Havre or Berlin from the Baltic ... it's always better to spend several days there, but if you can't ... you see what you can see ion a shorter time.

Mura

Today there were eight of us for a private tour, East and West Salalah. There were a number of sites to see, but I mentioned that I hoped to get a chance to see a camel in it's natural surroundings.

Our first stop was in the mountains east of Salalah to see Job's Tomb, a historically significant site, but photographically sparse. But as we traveled on the road before we started the ascent into the mountains, I saw a positive road sign along the highway.

enhance

It appears I may get my wish after all. The others in the van also said they would like to see a camel too. As we started our climb, we looked out the side of the van, and there they were...

enhance

Momma and baby out for a stroll on the side of the highway, everyone was so excited in the van....Mission accomplished

After returning out of the mountains, we moved to the west of Salalah, to travel to see frankincense trees. Frankincense, as valuable as gold in historical times, is the sap that oozes from the side of the trunk. Our guide, Ahkmed, filled us in on some information about the frankincense trail and it's extreme importance for the area in prior times.

enhance

Our next stop was at Marneef Cave and Al Mughsayl Blowholes. The caves are located along the oceans edge, which results in the formation of blowholes in the area. Our guide spoke of the area and it's significance for tourism in Oman. You can see in the photo below, the blowhole spouting to the left of Ahkmed

enhance

The area is spectacular in its setting where the mountains meet the sea...

enhance

As we left the cave area, we happened upon a watering hole by the beach. If I am a camel, this is where I'm hanging out

enhance

One of my favorite camel pictures, but as these are probably the 1,000th camels we have now seen, and the novelty is wearing off.

We left this area and traveled again east of Salalah, past the Sultan's palace, residential compound, and groves upon groves of coconut trees, banana and papaya. Stands were set up along the road selling the harvest, The rainy season here runs from June to September when Salalah turns into a green oasis. At this time of the year, the only green is where they irrigate. As we headed back up into the mountains, I took a picture of the common surroundings

enhance

Our final stop was at an oasis and lake in the mountains. We could have gotten there sooner if it wasn't for the damn camels all over the roadway. And guess what, when we got to the oasis, more damn camels... where do they all come from!!!??

enhance

At least Momma was nice enough to get her hair done for our visit..

enhance

Overall a very nice tour of the area, and one I'd recommend. Just don't wonder if you'll see any camels, because I am going to spend the next hour deleting some of the hundreds of camel pictures on my memory card.

We are now moving and will soon enter the Gulf of Aden. As we pass between Yemen and Somalia on our way to the Red Sea, full pirate precautions will take place. Our ship was the object of an attempted pirate invasion in 2008, which was repelled by the crew, the speed of the ship and the fact that the ship is pretty tall to try and breach. But regardless, our security detail that boarded the ship yesterday, is a welcome addition to the crew. We have four days at sea coming up, in which I will try and post some pictures from the ship and it's activities.

Great updates Cynthia (cbb) and dkbustr. Helping to relive our fond memories of our time on Nautica last April/May. Enjoy Petra - truly AMAZING! Goose bumps amazing it was for me.... Of course Luxor was a very close second! Joe

Wonderful additional posts from Cynthia, Mike, Mura, Joe, etc. Great details, background, pictures, etc. Agree that those camels are not the most photogenic and that they could get "old" after seeing a thousand of them. Did not know camels could be found out in the "wild". Great prep and info for our upcoming Nov. 16-Dec. 6 sailing on the Nautica from Athens to Dubai. Keep it coming. Very enjoyable and informative.

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting, dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 38,613 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

As we pass between Yemen and Somalia on our way to the Red Sea, full pirate precautions will take place. Our ship was the object of an attempted pirate invasion in 2008, which was repelled by the crew, the speed of the ship and the fact that the ship is pretty tall to try and breach. But regardless, our security detail that boarded the ship yesterday, is a welcome addition to the crew. We have four days at sea coming up, in which I will try and post some pictures from the ship and it's activities.

These security details from Mike are very, very interesting. Glad that cruise lines prepare accordingly. YES, using some of your four upcoming sea-days for posting pictures and details on the ship and its activities will be much appreciated. All of this excellent reporting has been wonderful preparation for us.

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Finished June 2017 sailing on the Silver Spirit from Portugal to France along the scenic Atlantic Coast, plus great pre- and post-cruise experiences. Many interesting pictures and details on history, food, culture, etc., from my live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

Yesterday was Salalah, Oman and I'm supposed to make sure you know that it is Saa laa laa!

Both our guide and driver on our "Scenic Salalah" shorex (#2 freebie & half day) were named Salam and the guide said the town name is just like "faa laa laa in your Christmas carol only it starts with an S!"

If you want an excellent overview of Salalah I recommend this shorex. The bus was comfortable, the A/C outstanding, and the guide was very good and eager to answer our questions. Everybody was on time!

Our first stop was the new Grand Mosque built in 2009 by His Majesty the Sultan Qaboos bin Said , making it the largest Mosque in Salalah and it is gorgeous. The outside was white, white, white, and in the desert sun it was just magnificent...even viewed from a distance. Well done Your Majesty!

Of course it has high high ceilings with beautiful crystal chandeliers mounted in gold trimmed domes, the carpet was oranges, blues, greens, and cream and the white interior walls had arched and dark wood trimmed windows.

The men pray on the carpet but we walked on a blue runner and of course everyone removed their shoes before entering. Our guide said it was built to hold 5000 men. Tourist women could enter with men during certain hours and it was our 1st stop for that reason.

There are bathrooms there --2 western-style stalls and 1 'squatty potty' but all were very clean. A woman sits there to make sure we take our shoes off but fee flip flops are provided.

All of our women were very careful about their dress. I had on my white scarf which I carry in a zip bag in a backpack for this itinerary--that way I'm prepared!

Non-revealing pants to the ankle and a top that covers the wrist are required for women to enter the Mosque and there are men at the entrance who made sure we were respectful in our dress--no one was turned away.

A young man approached me in the courtyard of the Mosque, smiled, and asked me if I was Moslem. Startled, I said "no" and he replied that I had wrapped my head perfectly in accordance with Moslem teachings.

I grinned, (yes, it was a grin) and said "whew....I was worried that I would I not do this correctly" and he said "it is right" and grinned (yes, he did) right back! What a delightful 30 seconds that was!!!

Next we stopped at a roadside market so that everyone could have some coconut milk straight from the nut. Many drank but I was too busy taking pictures of lovely bananas, papayas, and grain bags under palm frond roof huts.

Back into the bus and on to the Al Husn Souq across the beach from the Arabian Sea.

Everybody headed for the market place but I headed to the sea. Dave has taken a picture of me dabbling my hands in bodies of water around the world, so it was just assumed that I'd head for the Arabian Sea.

In the course of posing/dabbling the Sea reached up and doused me from the knees down; Score: Arabian Sea= 1, Dave=1 me=0 (because of course he has a picture of me getting wet!)

Several people found something to buy at the Souq, but we were happy with taking pictures as we walked around the marketplace.

We do NOT take pictures of women, and only men after receiving permission, so we have few pictures of the Souq because both men and women are merchants.

Many of the booths had frankincense and perfume oils burning and I began sneezing so we sought the main street where the breeze dissipated the scent. Lots of cruisers were trying the scent on....better women than I!

Lastly, we went to the Al Balid archaeological site where we saw exhibits on the writings and paintings of ancient Omanis as well as nautical history of these sea going traders.

Bathrooms and small gift shop are in the back so that may be a place for some people to visit first--before the lines begin!!! No earrings or tiny pots for me, but others found something to purchase.

Here at the museum there were cultivated frankincense trees so that the guides could explain how frankincense is extracted.

Frankincense was highly valued in ancient times and touring Christians were reminded that frankincense was one of the 3 offerings by the Wise Men to the baby Jesus.

The museum is also A/C which helps preserve the artifacts and keeps visitors cool.

On the way back to the ship our guide told us a/c is prevalent throughout Oman and the power and water companies are government- provided and government owned.

I'm sure that I saw some housing down side streets that neither was provided and there was some reference to non-native workers brought here to work.

Upon leaving the ship we had been handed Oman tourist-entry permits and this time the military man climbed the bus stairs by the driver and we held our cards up, both upon leaving port and again upon returning.

When you check back aboard there is a drop-box for the tourist permits and Oceania is fined, per card, if the number of cards handed out doesn't match the number returned.

This is a port that is highly industrial, militarily controlled, but photography is allowed. It is dry and dusty and hot so it is not a place to walk around in and there are no shops. Take the free shuttle to a town location!!!

Many went to the beach but were forbidden to enter the water since the currents were very strong, although I did ride up the elevator with one of the officers who had bobbed in the Sea in a place he knew about.

Others went to a western hotel chain and enjoyed their pool and refreshments.

We are in a high piracy watch area. Young men and women with binoculars and walkies on Nautica patrol the seas around the clock and extra security people were brought on board at Muscat. Fire hoses are ready on Deck 5 to repel attempts at boarding.

Now for 4 days at sea which is fine with me--Nautica is sailing through the Gulf of Aden and then into the Red Sea to take me to Petra......can't wait!!! All is well aboard Nautica!

pictures: drdavebradley.blogspot.com

Yesterday was Salalah, Oman and I'm supposed to make sure you know that it is Saa laa laa!

We are in a high piracy watch area. Young men and women with binoculars and walkies on Nautica patrol the seas around the clock and extra security people were brought on board at Muscat. Fire hoses are ready on Deck 5 to repel attempts at boarding. Now for 4 days at sea which is fine with me--Nautica is sailing through the Gulf of Aden and then into the Red Sea to take me to Petra......can't wait!!! All is well aboard Nautica!

pictures: drdavebradley.blogspot.com

Appreciate these wonderful details from Cynthia. Great!! Then I opened the pictures from Dr. Dave Bradley. Excellent, too!! These visuals are a super preview for what we will be seeing in later November and early December when traveling from Athens to Dubai with Oceania. Keep it coming! Really enjoying traveling along. Not just one person doing this very good sharing, but TWO sharing stars!!

Hopefully during the upcoming four days doing the Gulf of Aden and Red Sea, you can share more details and insights about the Oceania Nautica. And, pictures!!

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.! Just completed a Jan. 21-Feb. 20, 2018, first adventure through Southeast Asia with stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before traveling all over Vietnam and Cambodia. This includes seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! See more at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

palakika.....who knew i had these mad skills!!!

Sea is like glass tonight, but i'll be glad when we're out of pirate territory..all the blinds are pulled at night in all dining venues and it kills the sunset viewing!

but that's ok..willing to give up sunsets to keep us all safe.